Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all im new here this is my first post. im not new to firearms however. i have had my share of pistols and rifles but only 1 shotgun all of which are gone now due to marrying a girl that was not enthused about them. after a while though i convinced her to let me get my Beretta Cx4 storm. its nice, but id like a shotgun for the home. we now have 2 daughters and my wife has given me the OK to purchase one.

i was out shopping around today and saw the usual mossbergs, and the ever reliable 870's and sonething new, Benelli SuperNova ComforTech. it looked pretty cool, and am somewhat familiar with benelli cause i had a benelli nova i used to skeet with. i fondled it a bit, then saw a mossberg with a doorbuster tip on it. that was pretty sweet!!

anyway my questions are,

1. id like to maybe put a flashlight on the shotgun.
2. id also like to put one of those extra round holders on it.
3. id like to do anything else that in the future i feel looks cool hehehe.
4. 12 gauge is a must haha

so what would you suggest? as much input as i can get would be wonderful!!

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
870 and the Mossberg 590 are the ways to go, especially if you want to tacticool it up.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Stick with the 870 and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hey Bryman, let me start off by saying welcome from lakewood.

I went with a Mossy 500. Put the 18.5" barrel on it. I opted not to go with a mag tube extension. I can fit 5+1 in mine. I do have the side saddle on it and have adapted a mini-maglite with some scope rings for a makeshift light until i can afford a real set up. does the job for now though...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I just posted my latest Mossberg 500 Tactical build on a different thread. ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-rifles-shotgun-discussion/87282-say-hello-my-little-friend.html )

My buildup from a Mossberg 500A Cruiser/Persuader did not cost all that much and I get the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. You may want to do something similar.

Here are the specs:
  • Base Mossberg 500A Cruiser Persuader 12 Gauge
  • 20 Inch Barrel Blue Finish
  • 8-Shot Capacity 12 Gauge (7+1) Up to 3” Magnum
  • Mossberg Ghost Ring Sights
  • ATI Shotforce Tactical 6-Position Pistol Grip Buttstock
  • ATI Adjustable Cheek Rest
  • TacStar Side Saddle 6-Shot Carrier
  • Sling with swivels
  • Of course 12 Gauge Winchester Military Issue 2 ¾” Shells
Total cost: Less than $500

You have a lot of stocks and sights to choose from. You can let your imagination run wild on Mossberg and Remington shotgun buildups.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
No shotgun is more accessory friendly than the 870. I own 3 of them.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
870 and the Mossberg 590 are the ways to go, especially if you want to tacticool it up.
+1 straight workhorses.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Just got done tricking out my 40 year old 870 and love it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have my Dad's winchester 1300 defender, does the trick for me. If he hadn't given it to me I would ahve bought a Mossberg 500 or Rem 870.

·
Registered
829 Posts
welcome. You need two shotguns because you have two daughters! I have 4 daughters and I buy a gun or three with the birth of each one... There will probably be a boy who will need it.

Personally I am a SxS, O/U person. You can get them in the home defense lengths and 12/20 ga with auto ejectors can load faster than a pump, especially after the tube is empty. I love an auto loader but they seem more jam prone and higher maintenance and I don't do enough shotgun shooting. Low maintenance eas of use and dependability are it for me...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welcome. You need two shotguns because you have two daughters! I have 4 daughters and I buy a gun or three with the birth of each one... There will probably be a boy who will need it.

Personally I am a SxS, O/U person. You can get them in the home defense lengths and 12/20 ga with auto ejectors can load faster than a pump, especially after the tube is empty. I love an auto loader but they seem more jam prone and higher maintenance and I don't do enough shotgun shooting. Low maintenance eas of use and dependability are it for me...
do you have any suggestions for SxS with ejectors? im really intrested in that new stoeger double defense, but no ejectors may be a bad thing in case of emergency?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Rem 870 or Mossy 500 Series are the top (most popular) HD picks. Biggest difference is the safety location. 870 has it behind the trigger-guard, Mossy has it on top of the tang. It's personal preference as to which suits you best. I'm an 870 fan myself...but have no real (objective) justification for my choice. Have fun picking!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i think ill go with the 870. seems like i can find it pretty cheap most places, and like said above you can get tons of stuff for it!!

i think i have decided to get the knoxx stock & the PowerPak Modular Cheek Piece for it right off. id also like to get the Mesa Tactical Saddle Mount 8-Shot SureShell Carrier, but would that require a smaller forend? it seems to mount further back, thats fine i guess, cause id LOVE to get this surefire forend, but its pricey so that will be down the line a bit. but i really want that mesa saddle mount and shotshell carrier now! LOL. so if it wont fit with stock forend, whats a good quality cheaper alternative to the surefire that i can use in the meantime? maybe the Hogue Overmold Stock and Forend? how does that work out? i guess to keep the gun lighter i can skip the surefire end, and put a flashlight on the mesa mount huh? or maybe something like this tri rail forend. has anyone tried using it?

UUUGGGHHH!!!! so many decisions!!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Congrats on choosing the Remington 870!

I have noticed many of the newer home defense 870s are coming from the factory with shorter forearms, I know mine did and I was able to install a 6 round side saddle without replacing or cutting the factory forearm like I had to do on my first 870. I really like the Hogue rubber forearm as it provides a good grip even with oily hands. If you're going to get a light for it, make sure it is LED because the incandescent bulbs can't withstand the recoil of the 12 gauge.

This one in particular came with a really cool digital camo forearm and stock. I took the stock off and put on the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. I think Remington is only running a limited number of these.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
well i think ill go with the 870. seems like i can find it pretty cheap most places, and like said above you can get tons of stuff for it!!

i think i have decided to get the knoxx stock & the PowerPak Modular Cheek Piece for it right off. id also like to get the Mesa Tactical Saddle Mount 8-Shot SureShell Carrier, but would that require a smaller forend? it seems to mount further back, thats fine i guess, cause id LOVE to get this surefire forend, but its pricey so that will be down the line a bit. but i really want that mesa saddle mount and shotshell carrier now! LOL. so if it wont fit with stock forend, whats a good quality cheaper alternative to the surefire that i can use in the meantime? maybe the Hogue Overmold Stock and Forend? how does that work out? i guess to keep the gun lighter i can skip the surefire end, and put a flashlight on the mesa mount huh? or maybe something like this tri rail forend. has anyone tried using it?

UUUGGGHHH!!!! so many decisions!!
I have a Knoxx stock on my 870 and it makes a world of difference.

Surefire also makes a great forend/light for them as well.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
(1) The absolute best light solution is a Surefire Weaponlight forend, but a cheaper alternative is the forend with a short pice of rail available from GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale , with a less-expensive light mounted on the rail. I own both the Weaponlight and the GG&G set-ups; we have several shotguns.

(2) I hate sidesaddles, myself, but some folks love them. See #3 below. A bandolier or small "fanny" pack can be kept with the shotgun, and tossed over one's shoulder when picking up the gun.

(3) I like a shotgun that looks all-business, and does not weigh a ton, so you won't find cup holders and barbeque grills hanging off of them. You may certainly go the other way, but I recommend keeping things light and sleek. I did customize one of mine by breaking out some windows with the barrel. That will add character marks to the Parkerizing. That is a good thing about wearing a badge; sometimes you get to break windows in unorthodox ways. :wink:

(4) 12 gauge will certainly work, and is the easiest for which to find ammo.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
To continue, I like the Remington 870P just fine. It has been long been on my agency's "approved" list, which keeps shrinking, but I doubt they will ever disallow the 870, unless they disallow all shotguns, and I seriously doubt that will happen. I do have to buy my own duty shotguns.

I have read and heard good things about the Mossberg 590, but have no personal experience.

Regarding the "doorbuster" thing, well, you don't need to one to bust real doors, much less need it adding extra length to your HD shotgun. Yes, I have been trained to breach doors; you don't need the stand-off. If you breach doors, wear GOOD eyewear, HEAVY gloves, and a very sturdy hat or helmet would be a VERY good idea.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(1) The absolute best light solution is a Surefire Weaponlight forend, but a cheaper alternative is the forend with a short pice of rail available from GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale , with a less-expensive light mounted on the rail. I own both the Weaponlight and the GG&G set-ups; we have several shotguns.

(2) I hate sidesaddles, myself, but some folks love them. See #3 below. A bandolier or small "fanny" pack can be kept with the shotgun, and tossed over one's shoulder when picking up the gun.

(3) I like a shotgun that looks all-business, and does not weigh a ton, so you won't find cup holders and barbeque grills hanging off of them. You may certainly go the other way, but I recommend keeping things light and sleek. I did customize one of mine by breaking out some windows with the barrel. That will add character marks to the Parkerizing. That is a good thing about wearing a badge; sometimes you get to break windows in unorthodox ways. :wink:

(4) 12 gauge will certainly work, and is the easiest for which to find ammo.
thanks rex, for all your info! i definatley want that surefire! but that GG&G stock is nice too for a cheaper starter offer!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts