Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just today, as I was waiting to get into a classroom, I peeked in and saw the prof had written on the board a list of stuff, which included:

Passed examples

From the context, I'm pretty sure he meant past examples.

I didn't call him out on it, but I'll be keeping an eye on him, as I follow him in that room twice a week.
If he invites you out, for a beer, after school I'd past if I were you. :wink:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm not a grammar and spelling Nazi but I was educated by them. The lose/loose, To/too, and the there/their/they're mix ups in publications where that sort of thing should not happen really sets my teeth on edge.
oucrih.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,162 Posts
As a Flight Examiner Flight Engineer, part of my duties included writing and proofreading training materials and lesson plans. We also got blue line copies of changes and supplements of manuals which we were supposed to proofread and correct; these were supposed to have been written by the system engineers and incorporated into the publications by professional writers. Those were the worst, as a general rule when we were done over half of each page was our corrections. Even today typographical and grammar errors stand out to me like they are printed in a contrasting color. Normally my posts are typed up in Word then cut and pasted to check for errors.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
The most basic rules of grammar and punctuation have escaped so many. It makes me cringe when those who tout home schooling cannot use "your" and "you're" correctly. It's not that difficult.
Their doing as best as they can!

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Not a headline but this one caused great embarrassment to the Public Affairs Office at Altus AFB.

"All pubic appearances must be coordinated with the Public Affairs Office."
They had a weekly newsletter at an agency where I worked. One very good looking young secretary was rumored to be promiscuous. She became a Notary Public. The newsletter read, "Congratulations to Jane Doe on becoming a Notary Pubic." The newsletter publisher swore it was a typo.
Some years ago there was a big controversy over our Police Jurors (equivalent to County Commissioners anywhere else) holding closed-door sessions, while the law requires that all their official meetings be open to the public. A group filed a lawsuit, and won.

The newspaper headline the next day read, "Police Jurors to be Subject to Pubic Examination".

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not a written headline but funny as all get out.

One of the local talking heads was reporting on a shooting said: "they were taken to the hospital and shot." :rofl:

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Grammar and punctuation were GONE with the rise(?) of texting and social media.
I think it started before that. When online new reporting was on the rise, the newspapers and magazines started downsizing. I think the first to go were the proofreaders.

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
As a Flight Examiner Flight Engineer, part of my duties included writing and proofreading training materials and lesson plans. We also got blue line copies of changes and supplements of manuals which we were supposed to proofread and correct; these were supposed to have been written by the system engineers and incorporated into the publications by professional writers. Those were the worst, as a general rule when we were done over half of each page was our corrections. Even today typographical and grammar errors stand out to me like they are printed in a contrasting color. Normally my posts are typed up in Word then cut and pasted to check for errors.
As long as we're being technical, I believe there should be a comma between "Word" and "then". :embarassed:

Sorry, I used to proofread college newsletters. In addition, my wife (the English teacher) used to make me proofread her lesson plans.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts