Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tennessee Department of Health is providing the names and addresses of residents who test positive for COVID-19 to sheriffs and chiefs of police across the state on a daily basis — a practice raising concerns about privacy.

The offer to share the otherwise protected health information with law enforcement came at the request of Gov. Bill Lee, according to two letters obtained by the Tennessee Lookout.

"Health has a list of names and addresses of people in Tennessee who have tested positive or are receiving treatment for COVID-19," a letter dated April 20 to state police chiefs said.

The letter was sent by Valerie Nagoshiner, chief of state for the Tennessee Department of Health.

"Health will make that list available to you and send you an updated version of the list each day, provided that your office has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with health."

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/may/08/state-health-department-gives-names-addresses/522572/

This is just wrong and a violation of HIPAA Regulations.

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
That would seem to be a massive patient privacy violation. Class action lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Did HIPAA get repealed? HIPAA or Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, which is United States legislation that sets data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information, such as medical records and other identifiable health information.

I expect there to be real litigation over these disclosures to law enforcement!

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
WOW! That is a huge HIPAA violation. If a nurse gave out that information, not only would she be fired, she may well lose her license to practice. You can be fired just for doing a computer search for a patient's name in the hospital computer system if you didn't directly care for that patient. I've seen it happen.

Hospitals take HIPAA very seriously, can't believe the Health Dept. handed over those names. I see a bunch of lawsuits coming their way.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Don’t y’all realize that laws do not mean much in the middle of a crisis
The facists have suspended them for the public good.
Exactly.
My question is what is the purpose of sharing? Are they going to forgo normal law enforcement duties to perform surveillance on those who "have had" Covid? To arrest them if they don't comply with something? Does the list state active vs recovered?

What's next a "sign" on your door?

Maybe a "mark" on one's forehead?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Exactly.
My question is what is the purpose of sharing? Are they going to forgo normal law enforcement duties to perform surveillance on those who "have had" Covid? To arrest them if they don't comply with something? Does the list state active vs recovered?

A blue hat with the letter C.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
The HIPAA laws came about mostly as a response to the AIDS epidemic. That's when "Universal Precautions" were adopted. Universal precautions means that everyone is treated as if they have AIDS...therefore no one knows who actually is infected.
Medical personnel started wearing gloves while dealing with all patients and extra caution was used around bodily fluids. Also, masks and face shields became commonplace whereas before, they were mostly used in the OR.

Since we're doing this now, there's no reason to release names of COVID patients except to track them and then use the information in any way they think is "appropriate".

The cover story will be that it's protecting first responders. If they're already wearing masks and gloves, what else are they going to do?

I know they'll justify this and if you don't agree with them...you want everyone to catch the flu and die. And your grandmaw too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Soon they will turn over the list to employers, life insurance companies, close contact businesses, all in the name of your safety. This is exactly how it starts...the scarlet letter. Though we all already have one just for visiting this site.

·
Registered
34,030 Posts
Probably building a DNA database with all the CV test samples.

Reactions: kukla

·
Registered
977 Posts
Exactly.

"Indubitably my dear Watson."

Imagine the uproar if it was AIDS being shared.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts