Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here actually understand how important adequate hearing protection is, What? What did you say?

Hearing protection is extremely important and shoud not be taken lightly as a shooter.

Only one round going off without proper protection can lead to permanent hearing loss.

Nerve loss can not be helped by hearing aids. You will loose hearing clarity that your can not regain.

When shooting, take care to protect yourself to the maximum extent possible.

I use combat ear screws NRR 22-24 in combination with a good quality muff of at least NRR 26.

If you use the cheap $13.00 muffs rented at a range, your ears can easily be permanently damaged with just one round going off to close to you.

That is a fact. Once you loose your hearing, It is gone forever.

Protect yourself with the best possible hearing protection available if you want to continue to be able to hear clearly, What?:duh:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Huh? I couldn't hear you...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sorry, I couldn't resist...

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
What did he say? :blink:

He he, I use Peltor electronic muffs!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What did he say? :blink:

He he, I use Peltor electronic muffs!
Same here. I love them! Definitely worth the expense to know our hearing is well-protected.

Plus, they come in pink now! :hand5:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

It may seem frivolous for me to even mention hearing loss it but it is SO important that I want to drive the importance of hearing safety precautions home as often as possible.

It may seem like a funny joke but it is not. Once you loose hearing it is gone.

When you can't hear, you are effectively disabled. You will not be able to hear in the woods and you will not be able to hear a TV program clearly.

Well, maybe being partly deaf has some benefits. You don't have to listen to what you don't want to because you can't

Please always wear proper hearing protection when shooting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sig....
Couldn't agree more!!!
As a former broadcaster (~30 years...) I'm beginning to notice my hearing "going south"; the high frequencies (^~8KHz) just aren't there the way they used to be.....some of this is just the male of the species getting older.....but SOME is due to carelessness in my youth (pre-teen) while shooting off fireworks.....
Remember..... hearing is like "fast money"....once it's gone.....it's gone for good!! Like the bullet out the muzzle.... there's NO bringing it back!!
Wear that ear (AND EYE!!!) protection.....and STAY SAFE!!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Only one round going off without proper protection can lead to permanent hearing loss.
I can attest to that thanks to a buddy firing his rifle behind my left shoulder. He was about seven to ten feet away from me when he decided to fire a round off and didn't tell the rest of us. I was the closest got the worst of it from the percussion. I guess it could've been my fault too, but we were taking a break and I wasn't the only one caught off guard. As a result I have a loss of about 20% in that ear. Could've been worse I guess, but still sux to lose anything due to negligence with a firearm.

Goes without saying but, Keep your ears on and when shooting with others communicate constantly.

GBK

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do agree that hearing protection is very important while out at the range. I also suggest everyone shoot without it at least once to fully grasp what the sound will be like if the time arrives.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yup, I never used protection when I was a kid out shooting the 12 gauge and rifles in the yard and now I am paying for it, I can't hear ****.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My hearing was damaged in Vietnam, from cannon fire of our tanks. Every hearing test since then shows a steady, even decline to the point that I am now about 70% deaf. That plus continuous ringing of the ears, is not easy to live with.
GOOD ADVISE !!~

·
Registered
38,210 Posts
Too late. Too many years around jet engines in the A.F. Constant LOUD ringing now.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
26 db muffs with ear plugs so i can take the muffs off when i fire my rifle....i hate them tapping on the stock...drives me crazy...its the noise cancelling ability that counts...dont fall into the i have to spend a fortune to get good protection game...

as an automotive technician for 16 years and still in the business as a manager i was exposed to enough loud noises for enoough years to lose a good protion of my hearing and develop mild tinitus...it does suck and was preventable...i started wearing hearing protection at work way too late and to this day am one of very few who did and currently do...

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
On a serious note, due to very severe ear infections in both ears (and I'm sure dozens of rock concerts and 4 years in the machine room of a furniture mill didn't help), I now have constant tinnitus (high pitched ringing) in the ears. Sometimes it changes key and/or volume for some reason. I notice it much more when it is very quiet, but it is 24/7 and can drive you crazy. I always wear ear plugs while shooting, but perhaps that isn't enough.

·
Registered
38,210 Posts
On a serious note, due to very severe ear infections in both ears (and I'm sure dozens of rock concerts and 4 years in the machine room of a furniture mill didn't help), I now have constant tinnitus (high pitched ringing) in the ears. Sometimes it changes key and/or volume for some reason. I notice it much more when it is very quiet, but it is 24/7 and can drive you crazy. I always wear ear plugs while shooting, but perhaps that isn't enough.
Amen to that! Sounds exactly like me. Pinggggggg-ringgggggg!:rofl:

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Ear protection is as important and Eye protection....DONT FORGET ABOUT YOUR EYES GUYS AND GALS

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
A constant high pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" like a beep with no beginning or end. Mine is loud today...perhaps because of the party I had last night. As folks entered the man basement/pool room/bar area all handguns and car keys were locked in the safe until folks left with a safe ride home. I've been to too many parties where alcohol/judgment/tempers get skewwed. All my buddies carry and they are cool, but stuff happens. I may get flamed about locking up their guns, but my house = my rules. If folks don't like it, they can go home. Guns and alcohol don't mix.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great post. As an old guy I have moderate to severe hearing loss both ears. 'taint fun. Really dampens my FTF social intercourse.
As a young man I never used hearing protection and I shot a lot. No hearing protection was used in the military when I was in. Not on the firing line or on the flight line.
oldogy

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I too shot a lot as a youngster without hearing protection. I used to come home from the range deaf for up to several days. I now have about 70% loss in my left ear and 40% in my right. Also the constant ringing is pretty disturbing. I wear muffs and plugs all the time now, but the damage has been done.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I learned the lesson many years ago. A buddy had a model 29 with him, and I had never shot one. Didn't have any muffs with us, but what could one cylinder hurt? My ears rang for 2 days. I use 33db plugs and 28db muffs together. My daughter plays the flute, and I would never want to lose the enjoyment I get from hearing her beautiful playing.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts