Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to 45 acp bullet wieghts, what do you guys and gals prefer for defensive ammo? When Im at home I load 185 gr. +p , but on the road I load the Hornady 230 TAP or FMJ. I love running +p ammo through my 1911.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I have both 185 gr and 230 gr, I have carried both in my Kimber Ultra or my Glock-36. In a WW parking lot situation (5'-15'), I don't think it's going to make one bit of difference which grain is used. OMO

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Heavy and fast...I tend to use 230+P in my G21's and USP's.

My smaller 45's (G30, 36) I go with 200+P; for some reason, it seems to perform better in my pistols, for me...

And while I've put +P through my 1911, accuracy seems to suffer a bit in it; I prefer standard 230's.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Heavy and slow, or light and fast?
Yes.
If Old Slabsides can spit it out and you can place it accurately, it'll do the job.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've always preferred heavier bullets. I'm not sure why, but that's how my boat floats. My .45 acp preference is Federal EFMJ, 200 gr. +P. Heavy and fast(er).

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I love running +p ammo through my 1911
There's your answer! Does your 1911 have fixed sights? If so, then IMHO, it's all a question of POA/POI. Misses don't count. Shoot what wads 'em up right on top of your front sight :wink:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts