Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between bouts of showers and high wind I slipped out back and shot 50 rounds of .22 LR . The gun of choice for today was my great grandfathers model 74 tube fed semi auto rifle. Even with the old flat steel rear and bead type front sights and nearly sheet steel trigger this gun is a joy to shoot.
I was luck enough to know my great grandfather , although not that well. He was a hunter all his life , growing up in W . Virginia during the depression. He would tell of getting one round at a time to bring home food.
There is just something that calls to me about using old family guns, I used his model 12 last duck season since I gave my BPS to a buddy new to duck hunting to use. Some of my favorite guns were my dads or further back. Hope to hear some more stories of family guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I have a few, my grandpa's 1946 Remington Sportmaster model 512 that is fun to shoot.
And a nice High Standard R107 that my dad bought for my mom back in the 70's.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In my gun safe lives a 1911 .45 Canadian Contract Colt resting in it's original Mills holster . It is engraved with the name of the Captain in the Canadian forces that carried it into battle in WW1 . He was killed and my wife's Great Grandfather took it off his body and kept it . He was an American expatriate that joined the Canadian forces in WW1 . Still a shooter that could use a bushing to be more accurate . I've chosen to keep it 'as is' . I have his attestation papers and a picture of him in uniform with the pistol . Lack of $ has prevented me from hiring a researcher to find his full history and where this arm has been .

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a 38special that belonged to my grandfather from his short stint as a special officer of Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee.
I also have a S&W that belonged to my wife's maternal grandfather from his career as a Louisville City Cop.

·
Super Moderator
19,112 Posts
I need to take pictures but I have a little Fn Browning my father brought back from Germany after WWII that was my favorite rabbit gun. I carried that little Browning in my back pocket while on the farm. We had many culverts that rabbits liked to hide in, and if you lifted the boards they would sit still thinking you did not see them. I would then slip the little 0.25ACP from my pocket and shoot them in the head, rabbit and dumplings for supper that night.

·
Super Moderator
20,153 Posts
Nice, Rocky!

I have my grandfather's Winchester 1890 on hand here, and one of these days I'll take some pics. For a gun that's 107 years old it's in remarkably good shape. All it needs is to iron out some chamber peening from too much dry firing, and a brick of rare .22 Long. Soon come, I hope!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I didn't come from a gun owning family unfortunately, but I'm changing all that. My son will get my hand me downs and hopefully his children will as well.

That's probably one of the coolest things about firearms. They're actually useful and can be enjoyed for generations.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have a couple that I'll be passing on to my son one day:

My grandfather's S&W M1917 45acp revolver that was his sidearm in WW1 and a 1915 DWM Luger that he took from a captured German officer named Kruger (his name is etched into the leather holster).

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I have several, I have told my kids about them but need to write it down, incase I'm not around when they are passed on.

In no real order, I have my great Aunt's 25 auto colt. she was a cook in the lumber and mining camps of alaska from the 1920's till about WWII. I have my great grandmothers gun, My dads shotgun, and a couple of the uncles guns. I also have a gun that I bought from a neighbor. Her husband immigrated here in 1915 and married her in 1919. She said the first thing he bought was this gun to protect them. He wasn't allowed to own a gun in the old country! It was a Remington model 12 pump 22. None of her kids wanted it! With just some very minor repairs it still hunts rabbits! DR

·
Registered
11,818 Posts
Nobody in my family owned guns prior to me, but I think it would be great to carry a gun or hunt with one, owned by your father or grandfather. My wife and I have no children, so I am not sure who will get my guns when I die. I'd like to leave them to a couple of our nephews, but all of them live in California, so that probably won't happen.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
EVERYbody in my family owned/owns guns. It's kinda' like owning plates & flatware. Unless you're homeless, they're in the drawer. Nothing too fancy, a lot of field-grade Parker & Browning shotguns, all-manner of .22 revolvers, pistols & rifles, Smith & Colt DA revolvers and literally dozens of Winchester lever actions. Being a bonafied ******* has disTINCT advantages. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I still have my Uncle's old H&R tube fed bolt action .22 rifle. It has been used so much that parts like the sear are completely worn off and I have had to replace them with old Numrich parts. I still have to re-finish the stock every few years because I like shooting it so much. There is nothing as fun precise .22 shooting.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Between bouts of showers and high wind I slipped out back and shot 50 rounds of .22 LR . The gun of choice for today was my great grandfathers model 74 tube fed semi auto rifle. Even with the old flat steel rear and bead type front sights and nearly sheet steel trigger this gun is a joy to shoot.
I was luck enough to know my great grandfather , although not that well. He was a hunter all his life , growing up in W . Virginia during the depression. He would tell of getting one round at a time to bring home food.
There is just something that calls to me about using old family guns, I used his model 12 last duck season since I gave my BPS to a buddy new to duck hunting to use. Some of my favorite guns were my dads or further back. Hope to hear some more stories of family guns.
Great little rifle. I bought my 74 in 1963 for little over $20.00. They were brought out in 1939-40. And discontinued in 1955. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
19,197 Posts
While in the Navy dad bought an M1 Carbine off of a Marine who came down to the dock while my dad's ship was in at Pearl Harbor in summer of 1945. He still has it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The two heirloom guns that'd I'd sooner live in a box than sell are both chambered in .300 Savage, from opposite sides of the family.

A Savage Model 99 that I took my first bear with (has since been retired) and a Remington 760. The 99 was my great-grandfather's on my father's side (hunting/gun owning side) and though I don't have the exact date on hand, I believe I traced the serial number to the 1930's. The 760 belonged to my great great uncle on my mother's side. He and his brother both bought sequential serial number 760's. My uncle has the other one. That side of the family isn't much for hunting and firearm ownership besides my uncle, so I will most likely end up with the second Remington. Supposedly my great great uncle put notches on the comb of the buttstock with his knife for each deer he killed and ran outta room, so he replaced the stock and stopped putting notches in it. Which explains why the furniture finishes don't match. But I like it the way it is. Gives it character.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
My wife's grandfather's LC Smith field grade SxS 12 gauge is one o hope never to have to part with.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
One I will get someday from my Dad, and I hope it is many more years from now, is also my grandfather's LC Smith SxS, but in 20 ga. My grandfather was a real gentleman, and I have great memories of him. Unfortunately, his hunting days were over by the time I had any memory of him. My Dad says he was really good with that gun on quail.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The one I don't want to get is a 721 Remington in .270 Winchester my Dad bought in 1953-4 in Climax , CO . Watched him pinwheel a running whitetail with one shot once . Measured 550 yards and a quartering shot . Dad will be 89 tomorrow . Still drinks a liter of whiskey each week , farms every day , and is still deadly with that Remington when something aggravates him .

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I have my paternal Grandfather's Winchester Model 12 shotgun in 16 gauge. It was not actually handed down to me, I have it in my safe to store it from where my dad had it at their home unsecured.

I suppose I will end up keeping it though, eventually it will come down to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts