Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by my local gun store to pick some ammo for my 9mm and .45 and they had on in the case. I have had the urge to switch over to a compact .45 recently and the colt defender is one that is on my research list.

I was amazed at how light it was. It was quite possibly the most comfortable pistol I had ever held. Also at $839.00 it's on lower end for sub compact light weight 1911's. Would have walked out the door with it today but with christmas coming up I decided against it. However I think it has definetly moved to the top of my "to buy" list.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have one in 40. It is a great little pistol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that pistol is extremely comfortable. I have never shot it, but have drooled over it many times in the store. I find the beaver tail really "grips" the top of my hand and makes me feel more connected to the gun. I think with some front strap checkering, that would be a very sweet 1911.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I can see why it's at the top of your 'buy list'...pretty slick.:yup:
Colt Defender Compact 45 SS Model O7000D
So, I keep going through this scenario, I LOVE 45's......so I either want a Glock 36, or a small 1911 like a defender...and I love what I have read about the defender....but the 1911 platform is not what I am used to for "carry", as I am used to DAO, like Glocks and Kahrs...and LCP's....so do I go with the Defender or similar or go with a G36??????

·
Registered
100 Posts
rollo, someone needs to be the voice of reason here, and I will......

BUY IT NOW!!!

Beg, borrow, steal, or be more pragmatic for Christmas.

They are very nice guns.

Sorry..........

Jamie

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have one. 100% reliable. Shoots like a dream. Watch the recall though, might need a new guide rod assembly.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
So, I keep going through this scenario, I LOVE 45's......so I either want a Glock 36, or a small 1911 like a defender...and I love what I have read about the defender....but the 1911 platform is not what I am used to for "carry", as I am used to DAO, like Glocks and Kahrs...and LCP's....so do I go with the Defender or similar or go with a G36??????
Look into the Taurus PT145. It's shorter than the Defender and holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. It also has a manual thumb safety, but of course, using it is optional.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use a colt defender for personel carry. It is deffinatly my favorite carry piece. Compact, lightweight and I shoot it well. If you get one you will be very happy with it.:wink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a defender, I had nothing but problems with it!! sent it back to colt 3 times!! and they could not fix it!! I had FF, FE!! but the big problem was when i was getting in some trigger time the guild rod and spring flue out of the gun!! after that i sold it!! i was shooting FMJ 230 GR. So i dont know.... maybe i got a lemon...

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Just for the money, that is a pretty good deal. It may not be there after Christmas, but I certainly understand priorities. I don't own an Officer's, but I do have a Commander. I can say that I trust it with my life.

I also own GLOCKs and love them, but for CC, you just can't beat the Colt. Thin but powerful. The G36 is a nice gun also, but for me it is too small, as are the rest of the GLOCK sub-compacts. Don't let the operation of a 1911 deter you. They are almost instinctive in function, and I am just as fast in presentation with my Colt as am with my G21.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Look into the Taurus PT145. It's shorter than the Defender and holds 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP. It also has a manual thumb safety, but of course, using it is optional.
No second tier handguns for me......get the little Colt.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My only concern with the defender (or any other sub compact .45) is the recoil. It's not so much that I find the recoil uncomfortable but I'm afraid of not bering able to put multiple rounds on target. I think i'm going to try to find someone around here with a sub commpact lightweight 1911 and see if I can run a few rmags through it.

·
Banned
265 Posts
I have the Springfield version. It shoots flawlessly, great ergo's, and the recoil is about the same as a full size 45. It came with factory night sights. This was my EDC until I acquired my 3913.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Springfield version. It shoots flawlessly, great ergo's, and the recoil is about the same as a full size 45. It came with factory night sights. This was my EDC until I acquired my 3913.

Great minds think alike! I also have a SA Micro LW, and it is a very nice carry weapon. BUckeyeEric nailed it on the recoil - I do not find it to be a problem at all - in fact I find it fun to shoot!

Jamie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts