Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Thanks, nice review re: size and weight comparison.

I pretty much carry appendix now, so it's usually a defender (series 80 in condition 1) or a j-frame.

The Shield, followed by the XDS, followed by the P365 and now the Hellcat. We are living in a Golden Age of concealed carry pistols.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've had my 342 for many years and it's served in some different roles like ankle-carry, IWB, and BUG. When I choose to not carry my 1911, my mini wondernine, Sig's P365, now does the duty I used to use the 342 for. For me, it seems like a no-brainer to use the P365, or the Hellcat in your case, over the 342 just in terms of capacity alone.

Thank you for the video, Howard.

Reactions: hrfunk

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
11 or 13 (+1) rounds of 9mm versus a snub. No contest.
After ensuring reliability, I'd take the Hellcat; everytime, regardless of location, light, (lack of) anticipated threat, ect.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Funny, as I was just comparing the P365 vs Hellcat vs J frame at the gun store counter this past weekend. The only role for any of them, for me, would be as a pocket gun...and they are all too large for me. My large thighs make all of them print, and the J frame peeks out of my pocket opening.

That said, when I tried pocket carry with my wife’s G43, it would often catch on the pocket, fouling the draw. The shape of the snub revolver is much, much better suited for pocket carry...if you have skinny legs and deep pockets, that is. :smile: Especially the “hammerless” or shrouded hammer models.

For now, I’m sticking with my LCPs, which fulfill the pocket role the best, for me. The slope of the rear of their slides really aids in getting them out of the pocket smoothly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If I new for a fact that today was the day I'd have to use a firearm to defend my life OR if I wanted something that I could beat and shoot the crap out of cheaply and without a care in the world, I'd choose the Hellcat...

Pride of ownership, better future resale value, the ability to fire from the pocket, etc, I'd choose a revolver...

I carry single stack 9mm's and I also sometimes carry a revolver. I like them both, but there's no doubt that semis are easier to shoot, generally easier and faster to reload, have better faster to acquire sights, and generally have better triggers vs revolvers...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Funny, as I was just comparing the P365 vs Hellcat vs J frame at the gun store counter this past weekend. The only role for any of them, for me, would be as a pocket gun...and they are all too large for me. My large thighs make all of them print, and the J frame peeks out of my pocket opening.

That said, when I tried pocket carry with my wife’s G43, it would often catch on the pocket, fouling the draw. The shape of the snub revolver is much, much better suited for pocket carry...if you have skinny legs and deep pockets, that is. :smile: Especially the “hammerless” or shrouded hammer models.

For now, I’m sticking with my LCPs, which fulfill the pocket role the best, for me. The slope of the rear of their slides really aids in getting them out of the pocket smoothly.
Or, you could ditch the skinny jeans...

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
Great Comparison. My current pocket gun is a Sig P938 9mm with six plus one capacity. If I wanted to replace it, I would seriously consider the Hellcat. I would prefer a .40 S&W or .45 ACP, but they are all slightly too large for my pocket. I have a Colt Cobra in .38 special from 1952. It is alright in a coat pocket, but looks like a pregnant Gerbil in my front jeans pocket.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great Comparison. My current pocket gun is a Sig P938 9mm with six plus one capacity. If I wanted to replace it, I would seriously consider the Hellcat. I would prefer a .40 S&W or .45 ACP, but they are all slightly too large for my pocket. I have a Colt Cobra in .38 special from 1952. It is alright in a coat pocket, but looks like a pregnant Gerbil in my front jeans pocket.
There is something disturbing about the mental image that conjures up.

Howard

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
They are both worthy options. I’m sure based on philosophy of use, one could find pros and cons to them both.

My preference tends to be with a revolver in a pocketable gun, as I have my reservations about the long term durability of a semi auto for that role if one shoots them often as would be pertinent to do for practice and training. However that to is subject to debate.
Also, my personal tolerance for weight in a pocket tends to limit at about 15 ounces.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
They are both worthy options. I’m sure based on philosophy of use, one could find pros and cons to them both.

My preference tends to be with a revolver in a pocketable gun, as I have my reservations about the long term durability of a semi auto for that role if one shoots them often as would be pertinent to do for practice and training. However that to is subject to debate.
Also, my personal tolerance for weight in a pocket tends to limit at about 15 ounces.
I agree. In fact for the most probable scenarios I might need to pull a gun for I prefer the tactical advantages of the j frame. They both have pros and cons but, in real life I think the j has more pros.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Boy, I dunno. I tried putting a j frame in my pocket, my Shield, a 365 -- tried all three and they're all too durn big for pocket carry for me, print like crazy, the 9mm's are too heavy, are hard to draw, etc. Once again, for me.
Guess I'll stick with my little .380 for pocket carry and wear anything else IWB.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Boy, I dunno. I tried putting a j frame in my pocket, my Shield, a 365 -- tried all three and they're all too durn big for pocket carry for me, print like crazy, the 9mm's are too heavy, are hard to draw, etc. Once again, for me.
Guess I'll stick with my little .380 for pocket carry and wear anything else IWB.
Absolutely understand that. I can only carry the j frame in a very thin holster to make it work, and I wear relaxed fit Wranglers that have pretty big deep pockets.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Questions to ponder-

What is the true probability of immediately needing more than five rounds in a defensive scenario versus the true probability of inadvertently activating your tactical magazine release prior to drawing for said encounter and ending up with a single-shot (or zero-shot if equipped with a mag safety)?

How many times in your life have you discovered your carry gun to have a dislodged magazine- even with use of a fancy rigid holster?

Reactions: 10thmtn and G-man*

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I agree. In fact for the most probable scenarios I might need to pull a gun for I prefer the tactical advantages of the j frame. They both have pros and cons but, in real life I think the j has more pros.
I could think of about the same amount of arguments for, or, against either one.

For me it comes down to 2 main issues that favor the revolver.....for me.

1-no magazines to worry about springs getting weak or mag catches wearing.

2- overall durability over an extended period of time shooting LOTS of ammo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts