Defensive Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Various
15,762 Posts
Sometimes I carry a semi-auto only. Sometimes I carry a revolver only. Often I carry two semi-autos. Sometimes I carry a revolver and a semi auto. Currently, I have a Colt Delta Elite on my belt @ 3:00 with a spare magazine @ 9:00. I also have an NAA MiniMag 22m revolver in my shorts pocket.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Funny, as I was just comparing the P365 vs Hellcat vs J frame at the gun store counter this past weekend. The only role for any of them, for me, would be as a pocket gun...and they are all too large for me. My large thighs make all of them print, and the J frame peeks out of my pocket opening.

That said, when I tried pocket carry with my wife’s G43, it would often catch on the pocket, fouling the draw. The shape of the snub revolver is much, much better suited for pocket carry...if you have skinny legs and deep pockets, that is. :smile: Especially the “hammerless” or shrouded hammer models.

For now, I’m sticking with my LCPs, which fulfill the pocket role the best, for me. The slope of the rear of their slides really aids in getting them out of the pocket smoothly.
I pocket carried my P365 in an Alabama pocket holster wearing cargo shorts and a Kore Essentials belt this past weekend. It disappears and does not cause them to sag. Having said that, I can't pocket carry the P365 in jeans, dress pants, or dress shorts.

If I were picking a gun just for pocket carry I'd go revolver. My P365 is normally IWB at the 4 o'clock position and is at it's best in this role. IMO, the Hellcat would fill a similar role.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
Questions to ponder-

What is the true probability of immediately needing more than five rounds in a defensive scenario versus the true probability of inadvertently activating your tactical magazine release prior to drawing for said encounter and ending up with a single-shot (or zero-shot if equipped with a mag safety)?

How many times in your life have you discovered your carry gun to have a dislodged magazine- even with use of a fancy rigid holster?
Once after a shift as an Auxiliary Police Officer, I got home and put my Glock into the safe...only to find that the mag had dislodged somehow. It was a single shot. :doh:

I think the probability of limp wristing under stress, or having to fire contact shots, are much higher than needing more than five shots for an average citizen. Carrying a pair of revolvers is arguably the best CCW setup, period.

I just wish someone would make a modern DA snub closer in size to the micro .380s like the LCP. That would be a true pocket revolver.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Once after a shift as an Auxiliary Police Officer, I got home and put my Glock into the safe...only to find that the mag had dislodged somehow. It was a single shot. :doh:

I think the probability of limp wristing under stress, or having to fire contact shots, are much higher than needing more than five shots for an average citizen. Carrying a pair of revolvers is arguably the best CCW setup, period.

I just wish someone would make a modern DA snub closer in size to the micro .380s like the LCP. That would be a true pocket revolver.
S&W did. It’s an I frame called the Terrier. I think it’s chambered for the S&W 38 and the S&W 32.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If I new for a fact that today was the day I'd have to use a firearm to defend my life OR if I wanted something that I could beat and shoot the crap out of cheaply and without a care in the world, I'd choose the Hellcat...

Pride of ownership, better future resale value, the ability to fire from the pocket, etc, I'd choose a revolver...

I carry single stack 9mm's and I also sometimes carry a revolver. I like them both, but there's no doubt that semis are easier to shoot, generally easier and faster to reload, have better faster to acquire sights, and generally have better triggers vs revolvers...
Well, if I knew that today was the day the s**t would hit the fan, I would be carrying a 12 gauge shot gun! That said I do feel comfortable a well armed, where I live, with a 642 loaded with 158 gr. LSWC.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, if I knew that today was the day the s**t would hit the fan, I would be carrying a 12 gauge shot gun! That said I do feel comfortable a well armed, where I live, with a 642 loaded with 158 gr. LSWC.
Of course I'd carry a long gun too, but I was working within the confines of the OP. If I had to pick a 5 or 6 shot revolver vs a 11+1 or 13+1 semiauto, I'd choose the semiauto... I reckon the overwhelming majority of other gun owners would too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Questions to ponder-

What is the true probability of immediately needing more than five rounds in a defensive scenario versus the true probability of inadvertently activating your tactical magazine release prior to drawing for said encounter and ending up with a single-shot (or zero-shot if equipped with a mag safety)?

How many times in your life have you discovered your carry gun to have a dislodged magazine- even with use of a fancy rigid holster?
Never

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I pocket carry either my Hellcat, 642 or sometimes my LCR these days. Lately is mostly the Hellcat, but my 642 pocket carries a little easier for me.

But, like you Howard, the more I shoot this Hellcat, the more impressed I am with it. So I’ll suffer the harder to pocket carry Hellcat to enjoy the significant increase in firepower and accuracy it offers over my trusty old J Frame.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I carry Two J-Frames. One is Assessable to each hand. The pocket J can be held in the pocket while walking in a questionable area without drawing attention. The waistband J is accessible to both hands. I like the Revolver better because I don’t have to worry about knocking a slide out of battery in a contact situation. I also don’t have to worry about a perfect grip to make the gun run reliably. I also don’t have to worry about a attacker or myself coming into contact with the slide and causing a miss feed or fail to eject. That new Hellcat and the 365 sure look like great guns but I’m not comfortable thinking if I’m attacked and having to think about grip and contact of a gun while “possible” being in physical contact with my attacker, the ground, or barriers. These are the Two I will carry today.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a j frame the vast majority of the time. I use various pocket holsters but most recently, I’ve been preferring a Don Hume leather one. Depending on the clothing I’m wearing, I carry a S&W 640 Pro or a 642.

I also have a Shield 9mm on my permit, and I have an IWB kydex holster for it. It’s a great semi auto, and it’s small enough to fit in some pockets, but I almost never carry it.

For me, and this is super individual, the j frame is not only extremely easy to carry, but it’s really all I need. I understand being prepared and I do have a fire extinguisher and I wear my seat belt as well, and with my lifestyle, 5 rounds is more than likely to be plenty.

I do spend most of my “tactical” (if you can call it that) having situational awareness and avoiding potentially dangerous situations even though I have to work late at night sometimes.

For each his or her own. I dread the day I which I’d have to use my gun to defend myself or my family, but the odds of that are low, and the odds of needing to reload or need more than 5 are vanishingly small for me. But yeah, I do carry a speed strip and/or a HKS speed loader as well just in case. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts