Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have retired my 9mm Shield in favor of the Hellcat. Not as comfortable to shoot but carries easier in a Vedder Light Tuck. 14 rounds aren't bad either!
Ive been toyingmwith putting the sheild away for a Cat.
So what do mean by not as comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A friend just purchased one and I got the chance to put a few through it. Very nice pistol in most respects although I still prefer my manual safety P365. Nice to have options and I'm glad the Hellcat came about. Not jazzed about the name though... :wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
My son in law has one. It is a nice fit in the hand, and does shoot pretty good.Trigger is a little spongy, and it's pretty snappy with the recoil, but overall a nice gun.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I’ve been carrying my Hellcat off duty for a coupla months now. I am completely smitten with it. It has replaced my Shield 9mm and my G26 for off duty 9mm carry. That was not an easy thing to do as I have been carrying that ole reliable Shield off duty for seven years now.

What sold me on the Hellcat so hard is it’s 1. Uncanny accuracy (especially for such a small gun, but for any CC gun really) 2. Reliability, which has been 100% with everything I’ve tried in it 3. Capacity (11+1 or 13+1) 4. Ease of carry, even pocket carry (something I can’t do with either my Shield or G26) 5. Very controllable for such a small, light 9mm

Don’t get me wrong, my G26 and Shield 9mm are remarkable pistols and will forever remain in my possession. I still carry my G26 at work a lot (plain clothed) so there’s that. And I still, think for money, the Shield is the best CC pistol on the market. But for a lil extra money, the Hellcat beats it in every arena.

I may one day return to the Shield just out of loyalty/familiarity to it. And because my wife CC’s a Shield 9mm and both my sons carry Shield 9mm’s off duty too. But, then again, I may be inclined to urge all of them to switch to Hellcats and call it a wrap. It’s not like we’re gonna be tossing each other mags in an extended firefight, but it’s just easier when you’re standardized with your family so you will always have a bunch of mags, holsters, parts ..... laying around.

BTW, the Hellcat is one of the few handguns that I can pocket carry, other than J Frames and LCR’s, that doesn’t flop around in my hand when I shoot it. It’s comfortable and solid in my big mitts. Mag dumps are easy. And the sights are remarkable. I just have the standard model since I have no interest in bulking my CC pistols up with RDS’s.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Ive been toyingmwith putting the sheild away for a Cat.
So what do mean by not as comfortable to shoot.
My Shield may shoot a lil softer then my Hellcat. But not much difference, and certainly not enough to make a difference. My Shield feels better in my hand, my Hellcat shoots better ..... much better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
@pete950, the Hellcat pinches my trigger finger and for a range session I use a bandaid. I am waiting for the Powder River trigger shoe, I already have the PR fire control kit installed. I don't have that problem with the Shield.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I owned the Hellcat. Gave it a very favorable review. It is a fine handgun and would serve many well. I ended up selling for three reasons:

1. The trigger pinched me too many times.
2. The trigger was gritty. I thought it would work itself out, but never did.
3. It was definitely snappier in felt recoil than the P365. This alone would not have been an issue, but combined with #1 and #2, it just ended up being not for me.

But,my experience may have been more to do with the unit I owned. Also, it didn't take away from my favorable review and I understand why it would be a good fit for many.

I

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
@pete950, Not a bad combination there !

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
393 Posts
My son in law has one. It is a nice fit in the hand, and does shoot pretty good.Trigger is a little spongy, and it's pretty snappy with the recoil, but overall a nice gun.
So, how does the Hellcat compare with the p365? I have the p365ms and it is my EDC. I really like it, and wouldn’t likely change to the Hellcat for just one extra round (I carry with the 12 rd mag). I also have one without the safety.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I never was really interested in either the Hellcat or the P365; however, whenever Springfield finally drops the price on the Hellcat under $400 (like they're done with their other polymer pistols), AND includes it in their Gear Up rebate, I might pick one up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts