Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've lurked for a bit and felt it was time to register and introduce myself.

I'm from Iowa, and I have no experience with guns of any kind (except paintball a little, which doesn't count). Growing up I never knew anyone who owned a gun so I never encountered them even though I always wanted to learn how to shoot. As I got older and out on my own I never had the opportunity to get into guns because, quite frankly, I was too poor to even consider spending a few hundred dollars on a handgun. Plus I didn't want to own one until I had learned how to use it safely. So for a long time it remained one of those "Man, it'd be cool if..." things.

That changed a couple months ago when I started my new career as a over the road truck driver. I spend 28 days a month living out of a truck, but I also make enough that now I have the disposable income to afford a handgun and a reason to have a gun with me in my truck. (I spend the night in some ... shady places that can be pretty remote, so the ability to defend myself should the situation arise is important.) So I applied for and received my Permit to Purchase, then I signed up for a Pistol Safety & Carry Basics class at the end of the month. Once I finish the class I'll know how to handle it safely, so then I can get my Permit to Carry (I've applied, but you need to complete an eligible class to receive your permit) and choose what I want my carry gun to be. (Or I should say my first gun to be, as I hear that much like chips you can't stop at just one.)

Of course, me being a truck driver adds a few complications, as I have to choose a gun that'll be with me though all 48 states. So as much as I like the idea of a Glock 17 with it's large magazines, that probably wouldn't go over very well if I get pulled over in certain states.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Congratulations! Be sure to educate yourself on carrying into other states. There are still states that will not recognize your permit and you could end up in jail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations! Be sure to educate yourself on carrying into other states. There are still states that will not recognize your permit and you could end up in jail.
Thank you.

That's my main focus right now. Fortunately I don't plan on taking my gun outside my truck unless I'm home and going to the range, which makes things easier. Iowa's has reciprocity with 33 other states, which cover the bulk of where I travel. My plan is to carry in my sling bag (which I carry all the time anyway) and leave it slung over my passenger seat most of the time. When I have to go through a state that doesn't honor an Iowa permit I can unload it, put it in a case, and stow it under my bunk in storage.

My biggest concern is buying something won't be illegal somewhere. As much as I'd like a compact 9mm like a Glock of a Sig I may end up going with a revolver just so I don't have to worry about magazine restrictions and the like.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Either a revolver or single stack pistol. From what you've said, I don't think I would recommend a 1911, but you should be able to find something with a 3 1/2 to 4 1/4 inch barrel.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

As has been mentioned - check the laws of the states you'll be driving through. Laws are many & wildly varied.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The laws have certainly changed since I was an OTR driver back in mid 70's. I carried a 410 single shot Snake Charmer shotgun, loaded with #4 buckshot, during that time. But had very mixed emotions when getting into the eastern seaboard Commie states. All I can say is watch your back, and avoid the shady truck stops, as well as truck stop lizards.
Last but not least, WELCOME to the best gun related forum going. Stick around, join in, and enjoy yourself. Welcome aboard.

Life member NRA DAV
USAF Retired

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Glock 17 is a very good choice. you could pick up a 10 round magazine for less friendly state and switch the magazines out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also remember that it's illegal to even possess hollow point ammo in New Jersey. Keep that in mind in your travels. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Just remember in many of the COMMIE STATES in the NE and WEST Coast there is no reciprocity for a carry license and I am sure in MD and NJ. They don't care about your 2nd Amendment Rights. Some would you SLEEPER an extension of your home. I bet in MD, NJ,NY,CT,MA they don't care about your rights at all. GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Warm greetings from The Great State of Texas. Welcome to D.C.com. Where the majority of its members strongly believe in the 2nd Amendment and doing away with the infringements recklessly tied to it through history.

Texas, One of eight States refusing to label it's college campuses, "Gun Free Zones." One of the few areas of our Nation which continues to allow it's gun owner's to carry more than an empty gun and one bullet in their pocket. In Texas, it is an everyday occurrence to see a horse tied to a post downtown with the owners loaded long gun hanging off the saddle and no one will touch it, other than it's owner. Okay, obviously one of the above three statements referring to Texas is not exactly true any longer.

Enjoy your time at D.C. .com. You are among good people here. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Super Moderator
25,619 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Be careful about driving, there are places where you'll end up in jail just for having the weapon, or even the wrong kind of ammo!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to D.C. I'm from the Bronx, NY. For your situation, it's better to have an 8 shoot wheel gun from Taurus. I hate S&W for the safety locks. Also look at Ruger .327 magnum. I have an old S&W 686 (no dash) with 6" barrel. Exercise it at least once a month with a full diet of Underwood Hard casts and Wadcutters. For semi-autos, Canik 55, Tristar C-100 for inexpensives. However, they have 15+ rounds. Also CZ 75 Bs and old reliable Glocks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you travel to California do your homework, just left there and having a handgun is a nightmare for law abiding citizens

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Yellow Welcome from the Lone Star State.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts