Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm martymar and I'm new to the forum. I decided to get my CHL and start carrying but have no idea where to start regarding a holster. I have a Kahr K9 and I've browsed around the forum looking for opinions about the best IWB holsters. I do understand every person is different. I'm 5'7 150 lbs and I want to carry at about 4:00. I went to my local gun shop and tried a few IWB holsters. I really didn't like any of them (galco and uncle mikes). I thought about buying a Crossbreed Mini Tuck Holster. Somebody please school me on finding the right holster!

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Martymar

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm martymar and I'm new to the forum. I decided to get my CHL and start carrying but have no idea where to start regarding a holster. I have a Kahr K9 and I've browsed around the forum looking for opinions about the best IWB holsters. I do understand every person is different. I'm 5'7 150 lbs and I want to carry at about 4:00. I went to my local gun shop and tried a few IWB holsters. I really didn't like any of them (galco and uncle mikes). I thought about buying a Crossbreed Mini Tuck Holster. Somebody please school me on finding the right holster!

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Martymar
On the net you will find numerous remarks about holster boxes, holster sacks, holster caches,etc. Most of us who have been at this idea of carrying will have a surfeit of holsters that we have accumulated over the years. Body styles are different, carry needs differ, what is comfortable to one is not to another. There is much variation.

My best advice is to deal with quality holster makers and buy quality stuff. It will not eliminate error but it will reduce your margin of error substantially. The maker you mention in your post enjoys a good repuration and the holster is quite good. Others with whom I have had good experiences include, FIST, HBE, Comp-Tac, and Blade Tech. Best of luck.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Around here, DeSantis and Galco are pretty much the upper limit of what's available at the gun shops. Shopping online and/or with recommendations is better that way, but you won't be able to try them out before you buy. I've actually come by some very good holsters for sale from other forum members here, and some from the site sponsors as well. Might check them out first. Other than that, holsters are pretty much a personal thing and what works well for others won't always be the best for you. Also, some holsters that might not work well for you at 4 o'clock may work better in another location. The hybrid holsters just don't seem to work for me, but I like the kydex and the leather holsters. Don Hume are basic but functional, my Galco SkyOps is very modular and comfortable. Have a UBG Canute for my largest P220 and it's very nice. Wife and I have rave reviews on the High Noon holsters and they happen to be a site sponsor and very reasonably priced. I have a DeSantis Scorpion that works with all of my Glocks from full size to sub-compact. Mitch Rosen holsters are also top notch in my book. I have yet to pay over $85 for any of my holsters, and I use all of them. Keep browsing the forum and the internet, take most advice from those who carry the Kahr K9 and go from there. Once you find something that interests you, check the members B/S/T section as holsters come and go frequently there, and less than you'll pay from the manufacturer in general. Then...there's always EBay where I've found several good deals on quality holsters that are either brand new, or that the former owner just couldn't get to work for them. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Welcome To D C and Merry Christmas.

"Only a coward supports gun control, you know how to stop car jacking? Shoot the carjacker. If someone is going to kill me for my Buick, I'm gonna shoot until I'm out of ammo, and then I'll call 911."
Ted Nugent, People Magazine, 1994

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Welcome aboard Martymar! :bier:

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Start here...
HOLSTERS

ret :31:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Welcome from Central TEXAS!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Welcome from Middle Tennessee!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not so simple

Welcome, by the way. Good to have you here.

Selecting a concealment holster depends primarily on how you dress, in what sort of circumstances you carry and what weapon you carry.

If you wear a three piece suit, work in an office and carry anything the size of a Colt Commander or smaller, you won't have much problem.

If you're a lifeguard and carry a Desert Eagle, that's going to be a challenge.

So start with who you are, what you do and what you carry. How much concealment do you need? Casual cover or deep cover?

As pointed out, don't go cheap. Cheap holsters are much like cheap anythings; they don't work right and they don't last long.

And don't accept anyone's word about "I know what's right for you!" They'll probably tell you they know all about women, too.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You got the choice of Leather or Kydex.

One looks great and feels great and the other comes from cows!

Seriously, I don't have much experience with leather, but for good kydex, look at the sponsored sites here, or this company too:

Holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries

See you around!:smoke23:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Sometimes you might need more than one holster to cover different situations.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome from DIXIE!:drillsergeant:

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Welcome from Va. I have been lucky with Side Guard Holsters. Take a look you may find something that interests you.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
:022: from Ga, and welcome to DC.

As far as holsters go. One is never enough. You'll find that once you get one that you think is perfect, you'll find another that just trips your trigger and you'll have to have it too. The ST is a fine option and not to exspensive. I recently got this one from the Glock Store and really like it for quick and easy IWB carry. Good luck.

GBK

1 - 20 of 23 Posts