Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

California born and bred, and I live in Orange County. Former US Marine enlisted. Have a couple pistols and a rifle.

Looking to get my CCW and Orange county is fairly pro CCW if you provide good reasons as I understand it. I've already taken my certification training.

My question is, does anyone know what kind of answer / reasons they are looking for? My reasons are, it's my right, I am a single primary parent just my daughter and I live here, we do some camping couple times a year and I am a technology guy who is sometimes delivery very expensive technology into LA, San Diego and OC and also picking up checks in return. Do any of those sound better or worse to run with?

Also, is there a specific place for this type of conversation? I looked a bit but may have missed it.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas.
I do not know the answer to your question.
Do you not find it insulting that you need to provide a valid reason for carrying a defensive firearm?
In Texas as long as you have a clean record, no mental health history and pass the range qual. You can get your LTC.
I hate it when a government makes you prove why they should allow you to use your rights .
Hopefully someone from Cali will chime in and tell you the magic words they want to hear.
Oh, and Thank You for your service, sir.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Hi everyone,

California born and bred, and I live in Orange County. Former US Marine enlisted. Have a couple pistols and a rifle.

Looking to get my CCW and Orange county is fairly pro CCW if you provide good reasons as I understand it. I've already taken my certification training.

My question is, does anyone know what kind of answer / reasons they are looking for? My reasons are, it's my right, I am a single primary parent just my daughter and I live here, we do some camping couple times a year and I am a technology guy who is sometimes delivery very expensive technology into LA, San Diego and OC and also picking up checks in return. Do any of those sound better or worse to run with?

Also, is there a specific place for this type of conversation? I looked a bit but may have missed it.

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Welcome from Utah from a former Californian. Before my wife and I left the state, we both had carry permits in Ventura County. I don't know what things are currently like in Orange County, but I doubt it will be "easy" to get a permit there. In Ventura, where the sheriff was allegedly very pro CCW it took us 18 months to get our permits. For my wife, her good cause was that she worked for a state agency and was frequently called upon to testify in court against law breakers, which could result in the revocation of state commercial licenses of the violators. For me, it was twofold, I was a consultant and professional photographer and frequently transported expensive photography and video equipment. I also worked as an expert witness and sometimes testified against people who were negligent in their business resulting in death or personal injury to their clients.

In our interviews with the sheriff's office, we were told we had some of the cleanest records that the deputy had ever seen. It still took us 18 months to get our permits.

Several other friends with permits had businesses where they handled large amounts of cash, and another was a very petite woman who was a courier transporting expensive artwork.

If you have other questions, PM me and I will be happy to try to help you.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Welcome from ILL.....inois. Best of luck with obtaining your Constitutional Rights !!

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
293 Posts
I’m in a different county but we write “self defense”. When you take the required course with an instructor in your county they will help you through this. Start now, the longer you wait the longer you’ll wait. Mine took a year. Ridiculous. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum, jlocodc, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard. As a previous Kommifornia resident, I had a ccw from San Bernardino county. From what I have seen and read about, Orange county might be a bit less strict on the good cause statement. Check out the goings on in the CalGuns forum; they have forums for each county, and there is probably pertinent and timely info there. Good luck to you, sir.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Check CALGUNs they use to have a list by county what they took as good cause .. Some were only if your were rich and famous.. Others it was just I carry a lot of money etc I need portoection ..

Also note many have numerouse ugly extra stephs some will talk to your neighbors and ask them if you should carry a gun for example ... Def talk to calgun and heck I would talk to a gun rights lawyers before you go any further ...

And dont forgot if you carry a gun with over 10 round mags that last I looked the cops can seizue them legal own or not as a naughty iteam ..

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
40,302 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Welcome aboard from Georgia. Sorry things are so tough behind enemy lines, good luck.

·
Registered
G19.4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 and more.
643 Posts
No idea about CA, so ,move to Alabama and I'll tell you when you get here :)

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P365XL numerous other Sig & HK
32 Posts
Welcome and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE and good luck in the communist state known as CA lol

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
As said in posts above Calguns is the most useful source of California specific legal info. I lived and worked in two of the easiest counties to get a CCW in, Fresno, and Madera counties. It still took me around 5 months to get through the process. Others I know took up to 18 months. It depends a lot on how many are ahead of you in the process. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Some good advice above. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
25,589 Posts
Welcome and good luck getting your permit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts