Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’ve been carrying a Glock 43 for about 3 years now. It was my first handgun but I grew up with rifles and shotguns hunting and shooting competitive skeet. Looking to really up my training and mindset. When I first started carrying I took a few defensive classes and one class that also included a law portion but I want to learn and grow much more. Trying to find more hands on training but options seem to be limited around here.

I live in New York north of NYC and am lucky to live in a county where full carry is granted without needing a “proper cause.” Unfortunately (but not really because I love my job), I’m a teacher in a public school so I can’t carry my gun or even leave it in my car in the parking lot. So I’m forced to carry on the weekends and if I go back out after work.

I’m looking to learning from and talking with people who have a lot more to offer than myself.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Welcome Aboard.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Welcome, my SIL is licensed in Dutchess County…….

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Welcome from Utah.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Howdy from the great state of Texas.
Sorry your options on hands on training are limited.
Your only option may be to enroll in some of the week long and weekend course at various places around the country.
Think of it as a vacation.
Back when I was younger I would spend the week learning a skill and the wife would go sightseeing

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast. :vs_wave:

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy from the great state of Texas.
Sorry your options on hands on training are limited.
Your only option may be to enroll in some of the week long and weekend course at various places around the country.
Think of it as a vacation.
Back when I was younger I would spend the week learning a skill and the wife would go sightseeing

That seems to be the plan. The Sig Sauer academy is about 4 hours from here. Seems to be an amazing resource for training that I’ll prob work towards. It isn’t cheap but highly regarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome from Central NY. For some training you may want to check our Chris Fry from MDTS. He does travel around the NY state a bit for some classes.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from Central NY. For some training you may want to check our Chris Fry from MDTS. He does travel around the NY state a bit for some classes.
Good luck.
Thank you for the lead I will look into him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome from Iowa. Glad to see teachers that are gun friendly.
I know quite a few guys who teach who are gun friendly. The rest are actually very gun neutral. When a select few colleagues do get going about how “unnecessarily and evil” guns are, I just stay out of the conversation.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
That seems to be the plan. The Sig Sauer academy is about 4 hours from here. Seems to be an amazing resource for training that I’ll prob work towards. It isn’t cheap but highly regarded.

Look into the gunsite academy in Arizona.
Highly regarded

·
Premium Member
4,239 Posts
Welcome from Savannah

·
Super Moderator
16,106 Posts
Welcome aboard from North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome, LF, from the great state of Idaho.

And, you write...

...I’m a teacher in a public school ...

Good on ya', my friend!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts