Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a refugee of the people's republic of California and have recently escaped to Utah. My wife and I are enjoying a real winter and awaiting our CHLs with great anticipation.

We are planning a trip to the east coast to visit the capital and maybe the statue of liberty, but that leaves us with the same dilemma we had in California of identifying legal and publicly acceptable methods of self defense during our visit. I just started researching the laws in NY, Jersey and DC, but any advice would be greatly appreciated 馃榿

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Banned
Welcome to the forums! I'm not up on NY laws, but Jersey and DC have also seceded from the country and joined the Dark Side.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum.

Using a New York phrase, "forget about it!" If you're caught in NYC or New Jersey you may never see Utah again. DC is pretty much as bad.

Premium Member
Welcome from SLC. My #1 bit of advice is STAY OUT OF MARYLAND AND TO A LESSER EXTENT NEW JERSEY. Please believe this is good advice. You can do New York for the stuff you want to see without crossing into New Jersey. Maryland will throw your butt in jail just for having decent self defense rounds ANYWHERE! Locked in a box under your car - anywhere. Legal or not it will cost you a fortune to make them do you right.

Those are the 2 most insane states out there. I'll step back and let east coasters weigh in for more hands on advice.

Premium Member
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

Registered
Welcome from SLC. My #1 bit of advice is STAY OUT OF MARYLAND AND TO A LESSER EXTENT NEW JERSEY. Please believe this is good advice. You can do New York for the stuff you want to see without crossing into New Jersey. Maryland will throw your butt in jail just for having decent self defense rounds ANYWHERE! Locked in a box under your car - anywhere. Legal or not it will cost you a fortune to make them do you right.

Those are the 2 most insane states out there. I'll step back and let east coasters weigh in for more hands on advice.
I think you might have Maryland Ammo Laws confused with New Jersey. NJ does not allow anyone except police to carry Hollow Point ammo. I lived and carried in Maryland for more than 20 years and I do not remember any restrictions on ammo.

Super Moderator
Welcome..

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

Registered
Welcome from Wisconsin!

I've vowed to never go to either coast. I'll just stay armed & happy in flyover country.

Premium Member
Welcome from the Lone Star State. Know the feeling on the plans for traveling east. Going to visit the son comd late April in Virginia, then on to DC to visit the Vietnam Wall. Will store most of my small collection with relatives here and when going to DC, I will leave my EDCs with the son and pick them up on the way back.

Registered
Welcome from Southern Utah

Hey all, I'm a refugee of the people's republic of California and have recently escaped to Utah. My wife and I are enjoying a real winter and awaiting our CHLs with great anticipation.

We are planning a trip to the east coast to visit the capital and maybe the statue of liberty, but that leaves us with the same dilemma we had in California of identifying legal and publicly acceptable methods of self defense during our visit. I just started researching the laws in NY, Jersey and DC, but any advice would be greatly appreciated 馃榿

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Lived in DC for 6 years. As others have said, don't plan on having your weapons with you.

Registered
It's great to be here. We will probably never go to any of the east coast states again, unless they reform their laws, but I'm not going to hold my breath. However we do want to see the statue of liberty (IRONY) and tour the Capitol.

Is it possible to grab pepper spray at a convenience store there and just throw it away at the airport, or is that illegal to carry too?

(Made new account as I just realized I misspelled my user name lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts