Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a bookish and nerdy kid (still am bookish and nerdy really). I also moved around a lot. When I was 13, I moved to a larger city and big school. I got picked on a lot so I took up Martial Arts. They really changed my life. I’ve switched styles and schools a LOT. I’ve spent 20+ years as a martial arts vagrant, spending a year or two in one system and then moving on to learn something different. Now, I don’t claim any title or rank in any system and don’t think of myself as an expert but I’ve learned a lot and the comparison and contrasts between instructors, schools and systems has been part of the reason for what I’ve learned.

After college, I worked in New Mexico where I taught hazardous material emergency response. I moved from New Mexico to Iowa where I worked for a municipal fire department in the fire marshal’s office. That was pretty fun. It gave the nerdy bookish side of me a chance to do some technical work while I worked in a law enforcement role too.

I left the fire service and moved to Amarillo, Texas where I work as an emergency manager and incident commander for a federally owned site just outside of Amarillo. It’s also fun and interesting work. I spend my time as a go-between for the worlds of engineers and safety analysts and the emergency responders. It’s cool work for someone who’s got a desire for action and emergencies but is also a bookish nerd like I am.

I shoot for a hobby as well as for self-defense. I really enjoy taking shooting classes. Lately I’ve enjoyed and benefited a lot from Gabriel Suarez’s training. It’s good stuff and I highly recommend it. For non-gun stuff, I’ve really liked Michael Janich’s Martial Blade Concepts training. The information and techniques that these two trainers put out blend well together. I’m a club officer for one of the local gun clubs. I run IDPA matches for fun (not for training).

If you’re in Amarillo or the Texas Panhandle, shoot me an e-mail.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That was an interesting introduction, thanks for taking the time to post it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.