Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Defenders of Freedom,

I hope the year is treating everyone well and I'm looking forward to using this forum as a great resource personally and professionally.

I have a job in Maryland working for a private security company and they have selected me as a new candidate for their armed protection division. I am excited and honored.

I have been an avid marksmen all my life but this will be the first time I have concentrated on hand guns.

The company I work for does not provide duty weapons so I'm having to find a reliable pistol that I can afford on my budget.

Over the past 2 years I have been trying different models and have settled on a Smith & Wesson 5906.

I have a colleague that I go shooting with who has a 5906 he will be willing to sell. It's an older gun (approximately 2500 rounds fired).

He is asking $350-$375 for it. Includes Uncle Mikes holster and, two 15 round clips. No scratches on the gun, but could use a little exterior cleaning.

I've put 50 rounds of Federal 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ RN through it today and it behaved very well. No jams, easy action.

Is this a reasonable price?

I appreciate any feedback in the matter and look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks in advance,

Mrgoodcat

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I'll let others comment on that particular firearm.

ret :31:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

If your allowed to carry hollow point ammo in your weapon I would suggest you make sure it digests it reliably before putting out money for it. While rn bullets are good for punching paper, it's not ideal for a situation where your life might be hanging in the balance.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Welcome from Michigan!

Sorry the 5906 isn't my forte. I'm sure there will be others here that can help.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina. Can you say "get a Glock"...:banana:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Welcome from Texas! :wave:

Nothing at all wrong with a 5906, it's a very reliable gun.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
:bier: from Ga. +1 on the Glock.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Welcome from Victoria, B.C. :wave:

I have no opinion on the 5906, but I'm sure it has it's fans.

+1000 on making sure it feeds hollow points if that's the way you go!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome from Southern Illinois!

as far as the S&W 5906 that seems like a pretty fair price.

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

This guy is selling it for pretty close to that price once you factor in shipping/transfer fee. I have a few buddies with that gun and they like it alot. Good Luck!

·
Banned
13,685 Posts

There's a S&W 5906 for sale right now on GunsAmerica for $350 with sale pending, and another for $370. I use GunsAmerica for most of my market research as well as periodical gun shows. Gauging prices from the yearly magazine "buyers guides" like the 2010's out now on the new stands is unrealistic in my opinion and they don't always cover anything but most recent market introductions. It appears the model 5906 was the Illinois State Police duty weapon in 1993, and more than likely for other LE agencies as well. Ayoob wrote articles on the third generation S&W pistols in the May/June 1989 issue of American Handgunner. As for me and my opinions of S&W handguns and the company, that's another story. If I were to think about adding a full size pistol like this considering the weight of it, I'd probably rather have something chambered for 45acp. Just my opinion. I have know a couple of pistol shooters who have the 5906 model and swear by it. All in all, adding another pistol to the line-up at a good price and some accessories is generally a good idea no matter what.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Hello Fellow Defenders of Freedom,

I hope the year is treating everyone well and I'm looking forward to using this forum as a great resource personally and professionally.

I have a job in Maryland working for a private security company and they have selected me as a new candidate for their armed protection division. I am excited and honored.

I have been an avid marksmen all my life but this will be the first time I have concentrated on hand guns.

The company I work for does not provide duty weapons so I'm having to find a reliable pistol that I can afford on my budget.

Over the past 2 years I have been trying different models and have settled on a Smith & Wesson 5906.

I have a colleague that I go shooting with who has a 5906 he will be willing to sell. It's an older gun (approximately 2500 rounds fired).

He is asking $350-$375 for it. Includes Uncle Mikes holster and, two 15 round clips. No scratches on the gun, but could use a little exterior cleaning.

I've put 50 rounds of Federal 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ RN through it today and it behaved very well. No jams, easy action.

Is this a reasonable price?

I appreciate any feedback in the matter and look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks in advance,

Mrgoodcat
Welcome to the forum.

About the S&W Model 5906. This was produced beginning in 2005 as an early M&P model. Most were 5906TSW 4", Tactical models. Light weight polymer frames and good quality stainless steel slides.

They were considered very good service pistols either in 9mm or .40

I no longer stock this model but it is still available from S&W. Normal retail today would be about $650-675 new.

I would price this for more that what your friend is asking, Probably about $ 380.00 to 425.00 for all.

After 2500 rounds, magazine springs might need to be changed as well as the main recoil spring but other than that, 2500 rounds is nothing if the pistol has been well maintained.

The magazines, if 15+1 must be third party. The original model 5906 came with a 10+1 magazine.

I would probably consider this a buy, with or without holster, maybe valued at $50.00.

I sell to the largest armed security corporation in the country. I get many order requests such as yours.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please send me a private message. Under forum rules, anything more I can tell you would be considered advertising and not allowed by forum rules.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
When I was an LEO, I briely carried a 5906. It was a very reliable gun, even with HP ammunition. I would see if he would settle for $300. I only paid $329.95 for mine brand new.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.