Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding which owb holster to get for my xd mod 2 9mm 3" barrel. I want tight against the body but also comfort so I have decided to go with a pancake style holster. Problem is I can't decide between these 3 holsters. What are your thoughts?

These are the 3 I am considering in no particular order.
1: Wright Leather Works Predator
2: High Noon Slide Guard
3: Nelson Eagle Defender or maybe Wrangler if I want a little more comfort but sacrifice concealability

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I've got a Laredo Defender (from back when K&D was making these), for a CZ P-01. Essentially, it's a pancake OWB like the Eagle Defender, but with a snap-loop attachment instead of belt slide. Holds the gun fairly snugly to the body. Haven't had any of the Nelson variants, since they took up the old K&D designs. But I'm betting you'll enjoy it if you do.

Can't speak to the others. Haven't had either.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a wright's. Very nice holster looks and is holding up great. Sorry but I can't compare it to another cause this was my fist and only OWB I have. I wear it all winter long and don't have any complaints. Even had a lot of complements on the way it looks. Think I did good for a first holster. So all I can say is +1 for wright's

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I need help deciding which owb holster to get for my xd mod 2 9mm 3" barrel. I want tight against the body but also comfort so I have decided to go with a pancake style holster. Problem is I can't decide between these 3 holsters. What are your thoughts?

3: Nelson Eagle Defender or maybe Wrangler if I want a little more comfort but sacrifice concealability
You owe it to yourself to check out the Mitch Rosen Express pancake. Very under rated and a good value at $75.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You owe it to yourself to check out the Mitch Rosen Express pancake. Very under rated and a good value at $75.
Well I thought I had it narrowed down to three but after checking this out its now up to four.

Edit: Scratch that the Mitch Rosen doesn't have a sweat shield so it's back down to three.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The Nelson doesn't look too bad, I didn't like the look of the other two honestly. I would honestly recommend Andrews Leather, I've used them for a while now and just placed another order with them for a Monarch shoulder rig. I have used one of his pancake holsters before and I think it's the best. He even offers an IPSC style or a lower-cut-front hybrid style. The price is well worth it, the only thing that sucks is the wait time, Sam told me this morning he's backlogged to September or October since he's been getting slammed with business and he's in the process of moving his family and business.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Novarider,

My advice is to not buy a holster based upon recommendation of another. Buy a holster that you like and is comfortable for you. What's right for me might be all wrong for you.

Good luck

·
Registered
197 Posts

All are very similar. Since they are also all OWB as well, comfort is pretty much guaranteed. I'd go by the looks at this point.

I have a Wright and a High Noon and both are well made holsters. From what I hear and read Nelson makes some darn fine leather as well.

If it were my money, which it's not, I'd go for the Wrangler in mahogany with a black shield. In fact that's exactly what I may be ordering in a few days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like High Noon Extreme Duty leather pancake holsters. I have them for my S&W 1911 SC-e, Glock 19, and Kahr K9 Elite. They are very high-quality, and beautifully constructed. They are high-ride holsters, so a proper gun belt is necessary for the system to work properly, otherwise with a flimsy belt, the butt of the gun will have a tendency to fall away from the body. They come with a retention adjustment screw so you can fine-tune the retention, High Noon holsters are expensive, but well worth it, IMHO. They ride high and tight to the body for maximum concealment.

Extreme Duty Belt Holsters | High Noon Holsters

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like High Noon Extreme Duty leather pancake holsters. I have them for my S&W 1911 SC-e, Glock 19, and Kahr K9 Elite. They are very high-quality, and beautifully constructed. They are high-ride holsters, so a proper gun belt is necessary for the system to work properly, otherwise with a flimsy belt, the butt of the gun will have a tendency to fall away from the body. They come with a retention adjustment screw so you can fine-tune the retention, High Noon holsters are expensive, but well worth it, IMHO. They ride high and tight to the body for maximum concealment.

Extreme Duty Belt Holsters | High Noon Holsters

How comfortable are the backs of the holsters? Others like nelson have a flat or mostly flat back while high noon are molded. Do the molded parts jab into your side?

·
Registered
78 Posts
How comfortable are the backs of the holsters? Others like nelson have a flat or mostly flat back while high noon are molded. Do the molded parts jab into your side?
Very comfortable. The molding on the back causes me no discomfort whatever. By comparison, I have a Galco Concealable for my FS M&P 40. The back on the Galco is flat, and all the molding is on the front side. I cannot notice any difference in comfort between the two. In fact, My OWB leather holsters that are molded equally front and back (High Noon, Desantis, Galco Combat Master) tend to conceal better and present a lower profile than the Galco Concealable, which has all the molding on the front. I cannot speak to the Nelson holsters, as I have never owned or worn one.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Very comfortable. The molding on the back causes me no discomfort whatever. By comparison, I have a Galco Concealable for my FS M&P 40. The back on the Galco is flat, and all the molding is on the front side. I cannot notice any difference in comfort between the two. In fact, My OWB leather holsters that are molded equally front and back (High Noon, Desantis, Galco Combat Master) tend to conceal better and present a lower profile than the Galco Concealable, which has all the molding on the front. I cannot speak to the Nelson holsters, as I have never owned or worn one.
I agree completely. I have a Galco pancake (Fletch, I believe) and a Galco Combat Master. Both are excellent holsters. While my Combat Master is for my .357 Mag that I use while trout fishing in black bear country, it does seem like it'd easily conceal a 4" .357 Mag. My Galco pancake easily conceals a P-229. However, for retention purposes, I shy away from forward cant holsters for urban carry. They're invitations for bad guys to try to take my gun. Hence, for urban carry, I like Askins-type holsters. I do own a few Galco Avengers, which are excellent holsters.

From experience, hang gunners should buy holsters for a specific purposes, holsters that fits them and is comfortable. Hand gunners wind up with holsters others have recommended that don't work for them. From my experience, holsters don't do more than one purpose well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts