Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've blown a gasket guys. I have a chance to pick up a new in box Ruger LCR tomorrow or purchase a LNIB FN Herstal FNP9. I know we are talking to totally different animals here but they are both outstanding pistols. As of now I carry my trusty P32 (ha ha ha) I hear ya already. I wont be carrying my next purchase much until winter comes and I can switch to a heavier wardrobe. So here it is, I need to be talked in one direction or the other and I need to be positive of my decision. So if you can tell me why one is the best and the other just won't cut it so I can make a fully educated decision. As always thanks for looking and have a great day.

p.s. I can get both of these fine firearms for $425 a pc.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
If you don't already have a 9mm or greater auto, I'd say get both!

I originally picked up a S&W 637 as a BUG to my Glock 19. However if the truth be told, I just don't like carrying that much hardware, particularly in the safe environment that I'm ususally in. These days, the 637 is my primary carry (I slip it in my front pocket holster, and it hides no matter what I wear (like your LCR will)), and I'll slap on the G19 when I'm doing the part of my job that puts me in harms way.

Respectfully,

WHEC724

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a full time student here at a local college and the rest of time is spent with my daughter. In that case I like to stay protected but not exactly "armed to the teeth."

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The FNP is more of a proven design as of now. Ruger likes to make their customers....test rats. I would rather wait on the LCR til it has been out a little longer. Go for the FN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had the chance to shoot thr FNP yet and can't find one in a local shop. My major concern is the size of the grip. Does the grip thickness favor the glock pistols. I have smaller hands and I fear after I order this guy I won't be able to enjoy it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the FNP-9 and it is by far my favorite pistol.

I am a small/medium frame guy and I can conceal the FNP very easily in a crossbreed supertuck with a t-shirt as a cover garment.

I don't have any experience with the LCR, but I can almost guarantee you will like the FNP.

As for the grip size, it should come with 2 different back straps which will help you size it to your hands. I don't have very big hands, but I still prefer the larger of the 2 back straps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just sold a FNP 9 a couple weeks ago. It's a amazing pistol. I sold mine because it was going to get more use where it was going then sitting in my safe. 425 is a great price I paid 500 for mine a few months ago. I would for sure take the FNP over the LCR.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Go for the FNP. My wife has the Browning Pro-9 (essentially same gun) and another friend has the FNP-9. They bought it after firing the wife's gun. It's really a great gun and you will be very pleased. The other nice thing is it has the rail if you wanted to put a light on it for a nightstand gun. Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
My young bride has had the FNP-9 for several years and it's an outstanding pistol. I'd definitely vote for the 9, since you've already got a mouse gun.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The FNP9 is a full sized gun, basically the same overall dimensions as a G17, but is 3/8" wider and almost 3oz. heavier.

FNP9
Length = 7.4"
Width = 1.55"
Height = 5.4"
Empty Weight = 24.8oz.

G17
Length = 7.32"
Width = 1.18"
Height = 5.43"
Empty Weight = 22.04oz.

Many on this site may carry a G17, but for me it is too large to carry comfortably. Hope this has been some help.

·
Registered
829 Posts
For me the thickness of a revolver is not conducive to pocket carry. I too carry a P32. It is however my BUG. It depends on its primary use and your usual mode of dress and carry. If you can conceal the FN, I go with it. If you can't go with the LCR. Very personal decision with alot of variables.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
FNP9. But that's just me.:22a:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I haven't had any hiccups with my FNP-9 after roughly 500 rnds and it's a really great piece. I have medium hands and everything fits well. You can switch out the backstrap to the flat to make the grip smaller. I say get the FNP-9

1 - 16 of 16 Posts