Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread on Appleseed reminded me that I need to seriously think about purchasing a good, accurate rifle in an affordable caliber---the Appleseed goal is torso hits at 500 yards.

Right, now, the only requirements I have to have are detachable magazine and adjustable iron sights. Sling loops are pretty close to being mandatory, though I realize I could always have those added afterwards. I am leaning towards .22LR, but will consider other rimfire calibers.

Right now, if I had to choose blindly, I think I'd go for a CZ 452, probably the Lux model. Also high up on the list are the Savage rimfires, either 64G (semi-auto) or Mk II (bolt).

I am open to any and all input on the matter, though. :smile:

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I got a Mk II Shoots great it does'nt have the accuetrigger but a scope 100 yrd under a inch if I do my part ; )

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Savage bolt action .22lr with the accutrigger. It is heavy, but accurate and affordable ($550)

sorta like this (this might be .17hmr)

Savage Arms 17 Series Model 93R17BTVS

You are probably not going to be getting 500 yard hits out of .22lr It is the PERFECT round for training purposes (low recoil and low cost), but the drop after more then 200 yards is pretty significant. Training with .22lr at 50 yards, 100, or 200 is just fine. Just use reduced size targets...

Once proficient with the 22, match it with your favorite center fire.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Nick said. For a two day Appleseed they have you use small targets at shorter ranges the first day, at least; then, if there is a long rifle range available, they recommend using the centerfire for day two.

So, I am covered for centerfire; if I want to go the cheap ammo route for day one, I want a good rimfire rifle for 100--200yds.

Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just bought a Savage Mark ll BTVS .22LR w/ Accutrigger and thumb hole laminate stock and it is a tack driver. Scoped it with a Meuller optic and Burris Signature Zee rings (high). It looks great and shoots even better.

Paid $329 for rifle, $125 for scope and $39 for rings. Almost $500 into it. Worth every penny. :yup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the "liberty" rifle configuration is pretty commonly used. That is a 10/22 configured with Tech Sights, a sling, and an extended magazine release for easier changes. The Tech Sights peep gives you pretty much the same sight picture as an A1/A2 ...

I did one based on the 24" SS Wal-Mart special a while back.

Nick

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just looked over their webpage. Ever consider an AR15? Consider you will be paying 50-100% more than a good .22, but I think it's the ticket for their definition of a "rifleman". The ammo isn't rediculously priced, though much more than .22LR, and you don't need custom loads or match barrels to be combat accurate at 500yd.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hands down... the 10/22 which are great buys... and then rebuild with all the aftermarket goodies as I did... great shooter, good price, easy to modify and really looks good before and after.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Another vote for the Savage Mark II. Here is a 50 yard group from mine.

Mike

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Nice group fotomaker57. I looked at one toady at Gander Mountain, $289.00 with a Simmons scope. Do you know if you can dry fire them? The salesman showing me the accu. trigger pulled it twice and I asked him if you were suppose to do that. He said a few times won't hurt it, but it turned me away, I don't want to start off with a bad firing pin.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Nice group fotomaker57. I looked at one toady at Gander Mountain, $289.00 with a Simmons scope. Do you know if you can dry fire them? The salesman showing me the accu. trigger pulled it twice and I asked him if you were suppose to do that. He said a few times won't hurt it, but it turned me away, I don't want to start off with a bad firing pin.
You should never dry fire any rimfire firearm. Without a cartridge, the firing pin smacks the side of the chamber and will eventually damage the firing pin or the chamber. If you want to dry fire a rimfire, use snap-caps. The occasional dry fire won't hurt, but it's not something you want to do as much as you would in practicing.

Hoss

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I would like to see you reconsider tube fed magazines too. Removable magazines limit you somewhat. Why exactly don't you want to also consider something that will shoot long rifle along with shorts? And you rule out all the really nice Lever actions plus the Speedmaster Remington Semi Auto is ruled out as well. And perhaps I am forgetting a few others that are Tube feed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The Savage is nice and universally loved by owners. The Winchester Wildcat is another under-appreciated rifle. Bolt action, detachable magazines (and it comes with 5 I think!) and available in heavy or light barrel versions. I have seen a few that were plenty accurate for your needs and one is on my short list for guns to buy in 2009.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts