Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a new GLOCK soon and I have been going back and forth on which one to get. I already have a 26 that will serve as my CCW when I get my CHL. My new GLOCK will mainly (95% of the time) serve as my range gun, home defense, will be used in my CHL class along with any additional classes I might take, and I will use it during competition if I get into that. I might also use it for ccw if clothing allows, but that is of minimal importance because my 26 works very well in this role. I want to stay with the 9x19 round because I like it, there is compatability with the 26 I already have and since I will be shooting this one more cost of ammo is an issue.

My options are a 17, 19, and 34. I've mostly been going back and forth between the 17 and the 19, but the 34 isn't out of the question. I like the 17s slightly longer sight radius and increased ammo capacity. The only downside is concealability would be less. The 19 is more compact which might degrade useable accuracy at the range and classes/compition which is its primary use anyway. However concealability is slightly higher. The 34 is the best for range, classes and compition but the worst as a ccw. Plus I really like the 34 for some reason, maybe the more tactical length.

All would be great for home defense. All these in 3rd gen have light rails and I intend to add a Surefire X200B. My only other mod will be Trijicon or Heinie night sights. Any advice and comments on your own GLOCK choices would be appreciated.

Thanks,
'75scout

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
The 19 is accurate as heck IMO. and better if you want it for a CCW piece. A full size combat gun might not be a bad idea either.

·
Super Moderator
13,101 Posts
G-34. Accurate, a little different trigger pull so you can compare triggers. A great 9mm house gun - 17 rounds, with a WML. It's a Glock!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I use my M27 for all roles, including IDPA. If you shoot IDPA a hi-cap mag won't be very helpful since the limit is ten loaded rds anyway. Well topped off, 10 + 1 in the initial mag, 10 for reloads. Tritiums are always a great idea. For a 9mm the 19 is an awesome gun. Still it is a 9 and IMHO ~donning flame proof suit hastily~ a 9 just will not do ..... in the immortal words of Jeff Cooper.....

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think the 19 is probably the best size for "do everything" - this from a one-time G26 owner (and since you already have one...no need to mention). The 17 size is just about too big to me unless it's strictly a range gun.
My 2 cents worth ----

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'm not yet a ''Glocker'' but if as I would be, thinking of the 17/19 area then the 19 would be by initial choice.

Before that is, aquiring a 19 as well :wink:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Of your choices I'd recommend the 19. It is a good size to do most everything.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I like the 17 myself easy to conceal.

Course the 34 is only the size of a 1911 so it cant be that hard to conceal either i would think..

But out of the 3 i would go 17 its what i have and what i like

·
Registered
862 Posts
I love my G19. Like Forest Gump might say. "Mama says its my magic gun. I can take it anywhere." My dad has a G17.... that he never carrys.

Not that it cant be concealed. Its just that some cant do it well, or confotably. I would bring a holster to the store, and see if the 17 works for ya. Before you decide.

My next would be a .45 or 10mm.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys. I noticed many of you chose the 19, but mostly for the reason of ccw. That is not my main purpose. My main purpose is for range duty and HD. Next is handgun classes and compitition. Last is ccw. Its just so hard when they will all fill my needs. How is the trigger different on the 34? I have a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. slide that I just purchased. I chose the slide version because I knew I'd be getting a larger GLOCK and didn't want to have to buy another holster. I can use it on any GLOCK thats not the larger frame 10mm or 45acp.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can use them in my 26 also. I really like the ability to interchange parts. Makes me feel more comfortable that if those SHTF senarios ever happen I'll have two guns that I can interchange parts with.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I would add the 17 next if I were you. You know you want to stay with 9mm, not needed for concealed carry, so take advatage of that extra site radius and own the gun that started it all. I know a G17 will join my line up one day.
Mike

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
gee now..............the store had...........yep........HAD.....:image035: ....a USED Glock 38 in 45 GAP.......:image035: ....... Heinie night sights and 3 spare mags.........475.00 ANIB.........guess where it went...:wink: . hehehehe <whistling>:tongue:

·
Registered
862 Posts
gee now..............the store had...........yep........HAD..... ....a USED Glock 38 in 45 GAP....... ....... Heinie night sights and 3 spare mags.........475.00 ANIB.........guess where it went... . hehehehe <whistling>
Plz let us know how It treats ya. I want one myself!! Or mabe the the G29, if it fits my hand.

Now lets hope that Bud doesnt see this. We all know how much he is in love with the GAP:wink:

Oh BTW....Pics man!

·
Super Moderator
23,593 Posts
I have a 17 and CC it occassionally, my wife has a 26. We both love them both. I have another CC piece I carry, so my CC is sometimes that, or the 17. The alternative CC's are 9mm too. I love the 17 for range time.

Haven't shot the 34, so no opinion there.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The Glock 19 and Glock 17 are both great. Either one will work for a range gun. But the 19 will be eazer to carry when you are out on the town than the 17. But if you had to you could carry the 17. Again, Both are great range guns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like the 19 as both a range and carry gun so much I got a 2nd one so I can alternate them.

I chose the 19 specifically because I can carry it, but also because it's the best carry gun I've found for range duty. I also use it as a home defense gun. I think it's a great gun for all 3 purposes. As accurate at the range as any larger handgun I've tried.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have a G22 and love it. You said you already have a 26, so you have CCW covered, i would look into getting the 17. It is full size, which might come in handy one day, plus you can carry it concealed, I do with my 22. In fact, if I had it to do over again, i would probably pick up a 21, you just never know when a .45 will come in handy.

Good Luck with the new gun purchase!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts