Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 25 56.8%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find an EDC knife for my girl to get me for Christmas. I've narrowed it down to two.

1. Benchmade Mini Nitrous. Leaning towards the tanto/combo blade. Like the assisted open.

2. Emerson Mini CQC-7B. Also in the tanto/combo blade. Not assised but it's an Emerson.

I want to keep it under a 3 inch blade. It's not something I'm going to be abusing. Just want a nice knife for EDC.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Spyderco Delica4. $54 at www.walmart.com and free shipping to the closest store. There is absolutely nothing that the Emerson will do that the Delica won't do as an EDC/SD knife. The Delica has been a flagship knife of Spyderco for 20 years and has a massive following in law enforcement, military, and combative knife training circles.

Best part of a Delica? You somehow do something stupid with it and it blows up? Just spend another $54 with free shipping. :hand10:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Kershaw or SOG.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I have two Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks...assisted openers.

Great knives.:yup:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Benchmade Mini-Griptillian around $62
Kershaw KenOnion Design-Scallion (under 3") or Leek (around 3")and is assist opening. ($35-45).

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
i have a kersha it super sharp durable and it has a safty latch thats easy to use
Using the safety latch on a Kershaw could cause problems if you needed the knife while dealing with an adrenaline rush...I'm just sayin'...:rolleyes:

I tightened my down 'unlocked'...never a problem.:ziplip:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I tightened my down 'unlocked'...never a problem.:ziplip:
Stupid question but how did you tighten it down? That safety latch on my Ken Onion is a PITA. It's otherwise a great little knife.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Obviously you are basing your choice on something other than a quality sub 3" blade knife that you can EDC. There are plenty of high quality knives that meet those requirements for a lot less money than the two knives you list. So rather than offering suggestions to you, I'd ask you why you picked those two over other less expensive knives that fit the bill just as well (if not better, e.g. Spyderco Delica)?

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Stupid question but how did you tighten it down? That safety latch on my Ken Onion is a PITA. It's otherwise a great little knife.
A tiny T-screwdriveer from Home Depot...:yup:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Another vote for a Kershaw, either the leek or scallion. I carry a scallion daily.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kershaw Scallion. Tough, sharp, good looking, reasonably priced.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Spyderco Delica...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Obviously you are basing your choice on something other than a quality sub 3" blade knife that you can EDC. There are plenty of high quality knives that meet those requirements for a lot less money than the two knives you list. So rather than offering suggestions to you, I'd ask you why you picked those two over other less expensive knives that fit the bill just as well (if not better, e.g. Spyderco Delica)?
My initial research was on a which brands are considered high quality. And Benchmade and Emerson seems to be mentioned alot with "if you can afford it" attached to them. And around $100 isn't all that bad, considering the present I gave her. So that was the bases for the decision.

I looked at the spyderos and I don't know how I feel about the round hole to opening the blade. The shape of the blades turn me off as well.

I've been looking at the Kershaw leek with the g10 and that looks promising. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My advice is to simply go to an outdoors store(s) and try as many in the case(s) as you can. Looks are often deceiving, especially in regards to knives. Get an idea of the size you want, the weight you want, grip width that is comfortable, etc. before you order anything. If it ends up a bit late, so be it. This is the perfect chance to get the knife you really want rather than what looks cool, and you'll get years of use out of the thing.

I honestly didn't like the Spyderhole at first, either. I even had to put up a post on a forum so those in the know could tell me how to use the dang thing, but now it's probably the best non-assist opener style I have found yet. There is a reason that Benchmade licensed it from Spyderco, after all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Buy the Emerson. You won't regret it. I have a few knives and of the mass produced Emerson is my favorite.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts