Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted before, I'm in the market for a HD/CCW/Range handgun for my wife and I. I compiled this list based on recommendations and my own personal preference. I have decided on going with the 9mm for ease of use for my wife and ammo availability.

All the info in my spreadsheet was taken straight off the manufacture's websites, except for the pricing info. Some of the info I was unable to find, and that is the cells with the red text. If you experts wouldn't mind looking over it to help me fill in some blanks and make sure the info is accurate, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
XD, XDm, and M&P and C are all DAO. Springfield Armory should have specs on XDm. The 228 actually had a recent run of new made and sent here, even some with accessory rails, so that would still be an option for you. The HK p30 has been very highly rated by every single person i have read reviewing it or using it. I don't know how youfeel about Glock, but I would not overlook the G19. It is an awesome comapct 9mm. I also have a p228, It is an awesome handgun, and IMHO, a little bette than the p229, that was designed for the .40 and .357.

·
Registered
103 Posts
usp IMHO

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
+1 on the USP DA/SA but I would look very closely at the compact model if you plan to Carry it much as the standard gun is big. I would also go .40/.45 there just isn't that much recoil difference between a hot 9 and the .40. With a handgun IMHO there is no substitute for the largest hole in the target you can make.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
CZ is a good pistol
as others said, the G19
Sig P250
Kahr p9, cw9, etc
Beretta PX4 storm
maybe if the single action trigger is important...a 1911 in 9mm like the emp from Springfield, or the Kimber aegis.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
By the time you get the spread sheet done you could have bought the gun of your choice and been at the range shooting.

All your choices look like good ones to me.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Looks like you have this system down to a science. If your wife is new to hand guns, I would look for a used revolver; something like a Model-10 4” and soft loads to get her trained well. It would also make for a good bedside piece.
Regards,

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Buy the Sig 228 and you'll be one happy camper. Mines 9 years old, been shot a billion times and NEVER has not gone BOOM when I pulled the trigger. I don't think you can make them break! I once shot 3K rounds of WWB 9mm without cleaning it and it was asking for more. Used it for IPSC for 2 years prior to it's retirement to being my wifes CCW. It's a great all around semi that's Ford tough!

JMHR

·
Registered
38,164 Posts
You're spending way too much time analyzing this and not enough time shopping.
Put down the computer and back away. Go directly to your local gun store. try one (several) at a range. Pick the one you feel is best and buy it.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
With the SIGs you may want to consider the DAK trigger option.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Put down the computer and back away. Go directly to your local gun store. try one (several) at a range. Pick the one you feel is best and buy it.
I agree. :yup:

Saber gave some good advice here, but it's not in 9mm:

Looks like you have this system down to a science. If your wife is new to hand guns, I would look for a used revolver; something like a Model-10 4” and soft loads to get her trained well. It would also make for a good bedside piece.
Regards,
After that you can start looking for your "bottomfeeder". You can spend way to much time over-analyzing things if you're not careful. My suggestion is to let her pick the gun and have you adapt to it, as you seem to be the one most interested in this.

Biker

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Good Advice from OldVet... Here is a link... the first one is important to think about. Also try
http://www.smithwesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/MP_SPECS_AD.pdf

YouTube - Baby Glock vs. M&P 9c

good luck! Let us know what you get...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Tango, I do the same thing man, I think you are doing a good thing by trying to gather as much info as possible. Us analytics need to stick together!! My only comment would be that CCW and HD to me are two totally separate roles and in my opinion probably deserve separate weapons if you can swing it. In the Home D, I look for a large caliber, 45, large capacity, maybe a rail for light/laser, etc. Whereas CCW, I look for comfort, slim, trim, light and something I WILL carry all the time, not something I think will carry - big difference.

The only models that I feel cover both roles are your glock/XD sub-compact models. The reason is they offer not only offer decent capacity, 10+ but they also offer a frame that can be CCW regularly with the right belt and holster. They are not the ideal CCW choice for either role, but hey offer a balance that not many options can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses!

If there were gun stores open at 2am when I made this spreadsheet, then maybe I could have been there instead, but there aren't. Buying a gun isn't like buying a t-shirt, you can't just go off looks and feel. I like to see all my options and compare them to each other. If some of you feel like I'm wasting my time, then so be it, but I do this for any major purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
As I posted before, I'm in the market for a HD/CCW/Range handgun for my wife and I. I compiled this list based on recommendations and my own personal preference. I have decided on going with the 9mm for ease of use for my wife and ammo availability.

All the info in my spreadsheet was taken straight off the manufacture's websites, except for the pricing info. Some of the info I was unable to find, and that is the cells with the red text. If you experts wouldn't mind looking over it to help me fill in some blanks and make sure the info is accurate, I'd really appreciate it.

You are on the right track. Most of the pistols are what I would recommend. I would also have a look at
CZ-USA 75 series, FN FMP 16rd and the Walther PPS.

I would also probably add the Sig P226 and give some serious consideration to the Sig P250 compact.

In the end though, I put H&K and Sig at the top not considering price.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I think you gotta feel it in your (her) hand.
I went to buy a Sig 226 but it felt to blocky in my hand.
The salesman asked me to try the H&K P-30 and it felt like it was made for me.
These are things that don't show up on the measurements.
Reach to the trigger, ease of racking the slide, angle of the grip, width of the grip.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As I posted before, I'm in the market for a HD/CCW/Range handgun for my wife and I. I compiled this list based on recommendations and my own personal preference.
Just a couple of comments.

Don't try and find the perfect gun for both you and your wife. What she can shoot accurately and feels comfortable in her hand may be different that what you find appealing. While some, like the XD, may fit you both, consider getting two weapons.

I'm an analytic too, but your spreadsheet leaves off a lot of relevant information. Specs like height, length and width measurements don't say a lot on paper. Consider breaking your spreadsheet into categories (e.g., full-size, compact, subcompact) and evaluating within the categories. I'd also create a criteria list (e.g., reliability, feel in hand, concealability, ability to shoot lead reloads, availability of parts, etc.) and rank each one against the criteria. As one poster said, HD and CC don't necessarily have the same considerations (e.g., I want a rail on my HD weapon, but I want slimness and a shorter grip for my CCW). Also, I suspect your wife's criteria (e.g., the ability to carry in a purse) may be different than yours.

As others have noted, you've left a lot of very nice choices off the list -- CZ, Kahr (very nice grip and overall size for women and CCW in general), Springfield EMP, Taurus 709, Walther PPS, etc.. It appears you have a bias towards SIG and H&K. Does your wife share that same bias? (For example, I have largish hands, yet I find the SIG grip on the 226 Elite to be too thick.)

Not sure why the construction is important. Isn't that characteristic basically covered by the weight? Also, I would do the weight in ounces -- easier to tell the difference than in 0.1's of pounds.

You need to consider the safety a bit more. For example, do you want your wife to have to deal with a safety in a stressful situation rather than just draw and fire with a DAO? If not, then eliminate all but DAO weapons.

So, I agree with the other posters. You need to get both you and your wife to the gun shop and start hefting the candidates to identify other characteristics that will matter to you, and evaluate intangibles that stats won't show you (like the bore axis, ease of sight acquisition, ability to rack the slide, can your fingers reach the controls, etc.). Just one example, I love the SIGs, but the decocker is located exactly where it can be accidentally hit if you shoot the more modern style with both thumbs pointing forward. If you use the older right hand thumb down grip, the decocker is no longer an issue. There are too many intangibles for your simplistic spreadsheet to assess.

Lastly, you will find a great deal of practical advice and experience on this forum that can help in your decision. However, I wouldn't ask people to help fill out a spreadsheet with information you can easily get from the specs on a manufacturer's site. I'm happy to offer advice and opinions....I'll leave the web surfing and spec collection to you.

Have you checked out this stickie:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...g-handgun-defense-part-1-semi-automatics.html

·
Registered
38,164 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

If there were gun stores open at 2am when I made this spreadsheet, then maybe I could have been there instead, but there aren't. Buying a gun isn't like buying a t-shirt, you can't just go off looks and feel. I like to see all my options and compare them to each other. If some of you feel like I'm wasting my time, then so be it, but I do this for any major purchase.
Yeah, but all this info you're asking for and spending time entering into a spreadsheet is readily available on gun makers' websites and catalogs. That akin to making entering all the names and numbers in the phonebook into your computer, so you'll have it when you want to look up a number. Use the phonebook! Go to a gun shop, even if you have to wait until business hours. Why all the duplication of information? :blink: Sounds a little OCD to me.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If the Glock 19 fits hers and your hand, it should be at the top of the list. The easiest semi-auto on the market to operate and it goes boom every time. As far as HD/CCW/range gun options go...my philosophy is get 1 gun to fill all 3 roles, that gives me the most practice so I can become a grand master on the 1 gun that I trust for personal defense. The range is for practice and should be taken that way, get good with it there so you can be good with it when it really matters. I participate in a defensive pistol competition and I use my CCW gun, I've yet to crawl out of the cellar in the standings but I'm getting some damn good practice. Some of the guys use their CCW guns but most of them use full size guns that they don't normally carry, that's their perogative and they've been doing this a lot longer than I have. Winning the competition is less important to me than surviving when the SHTF.

Joker1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts