Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a new pistol to carry but cant decide on which one. I just got my license to carry this week and im excited to find a pistol I will like to carry. So far there is a few I had in mind. The Walther ppk in .380 and kahr mk9 for the all metal guns which I really like. If I decide to go the lighter route I was looking at the Kahr pm9 or just a keltec pf9 or the .380 keltec. It doesnt have to be pocket carry but I wanted something that would shoot nice for the size and feel like it was very well made. The more I like it the more ill want to carry. My father does have the .380 and 9mm keltec which are ok but seem a bit cheap to me. So help me decide... Any others I might like? I would like to keep it around 600 give or take some. I was really interested in the ruger lcp but my local shop was 11 months behind on that one.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Personally I prefer to have at least 9mm or .38 for a defensive load. The MK9 would serve you well. IMO a Glock 26 is not that much bigger and you get 10+1 capacity of 9mm. A G26 can be concealed very easily without a drastic change in wardrobe.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Don't know much about the guns you're looking at, buy I do know that .380 ammo is hard to come by.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I just edited my post I was interested in the ruger lcp also but my local shop was back ordering them and I didnt want to wait that long.

45 is hard for me to find locally. Actually 9mm sort of is also but not as bad as the 45 and .380.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Try to shoot as many as you can at the range and also try to figure out the main way you are going to carry. If you are pocket carrying a lot, your choices will be more limited and metal may not be the way to go over a poly gun. You have some good ones listed. I'd probably go with a 9mm and my first choice as a starter would be a G26 (or 19) or PM9. The latter will be much easier to pocket carry but a little tougher to shoot due to it's smaller size. There's a lot of good choices out there so again, try to fondle and shoot as many as you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about carrying IWB since I dont like to have too much in my pockets. Might be a nice option to pocket carry also though hard decision. Its also kind of hard to try them all out cause the only local shop/range I dont like very much at all.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I would also recommend staying with 9mm or 38 spl as a minimum. I think the Kahr, G26, G19 or S&W 642 would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Can't go wrong with a G26 but it isn't going to be the easiest to pocket carry if you want to. I know, I have a G33 (same size) and a PM9. The PM9 in a FIST K5 is the king of pocket carry for me.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
G19, 9mm and compact enough to conceal IWB without sacrificing barrell length and grip length. 15 + 1 capacity also. I got mine in June for $575.00. Some of those other guns may be small enough that they may not be great and fun at the range, you can have to small of a gun. You should have one large enough to be great at the range so you'll practice with it more.

Welcome to the forum from Kansas!

Joker1

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
The Glock-26 will meet ALL of your needs.:yup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the pm9 really close to the size of the keltec pk9 cause I really liked the size of the pk9.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The pm9 is a very nice weapon...overall I like the G26.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I recommend you try a .38 snub. At some point you'll end up with one, so why not get it out of the way up front.
Regards,

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Personally I prefer to have at least 9mm or .38 for a defensive load. The MK9 would serve you well. IMO a Glock 26 is not that much bigger and you get 10+1 capacity of 9mm. A G26 can be concealed very easily without a drastic change in wardrobe.

Good luck.
+1 you can't beat the Glock 26 for size, quality & capacity. I have the Kel tec PF9, p3at & G26. I had a Kahr pm9. The Glock26 is by far the best of the 4 guns. Better sights, trigger, capacity, accessories. I carry the G26 in a Kramer OWB holster or Desantis pocket holster. The pf9 and Pm9 will pocket carry easier.
The Kel tec sights arn't great. I have a crimson laser on my pf9.
I have spent 3 years using most of the smallest 9mm made and I can't find anything as good or better than the G26.

J.S.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I would go with the MK9 for the quality and the round. The 9mm vs .380 for SD carry is a better option. Neither one will produce a high provability of one stop shots, but the 9mm will deliver more energy than the .380 and the platform will be easier on the recoil. Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the capacity of the g26 not sure if its quite small enough though its a bit wide. How does the m&p 9c compare anyone have experience with one?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts