Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me decide on a new gun. Something in the five hundred dollar range would be ideal, but I'll go a little higher if I have to.

I'm interested in maybe a .45, something handy for self-defense with good power. I dunno, though. Field's pretty wide open.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Cant go wrong with a 1911 not sure what else in the 500 range Hk lot higher than 500 so is a sig ...

Maybe a Smith autoloader if you can stand the looks and feel of it

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Glocks will run you a little under $500, with tax.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Phil? you looking for a single action or DA weapon? 3-4-5 inch? blued? stainless? hi cap? or 1911 style? what do you currently carry? you can but a lot of good quality used guns for 500.00........

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want used. I have plenty of guns already; I am getting the "gun itch" but can't decide. I figured I'd let people espouse their personal preferences and biases and perhaps I'd feel inspired accordingly. :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If looking for a DA and and a polymer frame semi-auto, Springfield XD in 45gap, 40, 9, or 357sig will all run less than $500.00 brand spanking new. The bi-tone stainless/black is a little more than the others, but is still <500. One of the best things about this gun is the service Springfield brings to the table.

Highly recommended

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Phil Elmore said:
I don't want used. I have plenty of guns already; I am getting the "gun itch" but can't decide.
I hate it when that happens! :silly: Well, CDNN has (had?) BHP's in .40 for about $400, NIB..... I'm very happy with mine, in 9 :biggrin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
S&W 457 is a great gun for carrying. I've been carrying for over 30 years and have 35 handguns. The 457 is my favorite out of all of them for carrying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a P-01 at the begining of June. Great little pistol.
If you like a de-cocker in 9mm pick one up and handle it. The balance
and general feel of the pistol sold me the instant I picked it up in my hand.
This pistol has an alloy frame and is in a DA/SA format.
The CZ compacts are similar in size and available with the ability to carry cocked and locked if you like however, they have a steel frame and are slightly heavier with a different IMO feel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i would tell you glock 23

glock 23 .40
if you want to know why just ask any cop walking down the Street. ask them what they carry and they trust there lifes with it every singal day.

that is the best carry gun for the money I think and ammo is cheap as hell also. :1saufen:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
speedtuff said:
glock 23 .40
if you want to know why just ask any cop walking down the Street. ask them what they carry and they trust there lifes with it every singal day.

that is the best carry gun for the money I think and ammo is cheap as hell also. :1saufen:

Just cause the carry it dont mean they like it nor trust it many departments you are stuck with what they issue like my local one here most of the guys used to carry 1911's and the ladys wheelies now std issue is the glock and most dont like it

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Bud White said:
Just cause the carry it dont mean they like it nor trust it many departments you are stuck with what they issue like my local one here most of the guys used to carry 1911's and the ladys wheelies now std issue is the glock and most dont like it
I agree with ya Bud
Most Departments, as in the past , and I'm talking a LONG time, is the "Bottom Line" PDs need to be within a budget, and they usually go with what they can get for the least amount of money..When the Glock 17 came out, the LEO price was about 217.00 due to their no tax status. Now, phase in the quantity discount for the weapon, and the equipment that's usually handed with the weapon, and they have a great package price. Add in the fact that most City Officials , selectmen, and Mayors oversee theh Buget, the PDs are basically handed the plan for what they are to carry, due to the "bottom Line" again.
I know a lot of guys (and Ladies) that would much rather carry their own personal weapon, verses the Glock they were issued. Some would even carry their wheelies over the Glock, especially if they didn't have a semi auto gun. I'm NOT bashing the Glock here, but pointing out that due to the "Bottom Line" and the fact that they work considerably well, that is why you see a lot of Glocks out there
I think if you look at NYPD, you'll see a lot Officers still toting wheelies.
The 1911 has been battle tested, and is still a preferred side arm of most speacial forces personel.
Phil? ADCO in Woburn Ma has a TT45 (looks like a CZ) in 45ACP.. it's imported and has a Polymar frame. I have a friend of mine, who's a FFL holder, and sells a LOT of them for well under 500.00 NEW...
Here's the artical link: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_50/ai_112646114

·
Administrator
143,828 Posts
Glock 36

Nobody Said The Stubby Little Mini Glock 36 ?
Big Hole ~ Little Gun ~ Super Reliable

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Looking for a new gun? Me, too!

Phil Elmore said:
Help me decide on a new gun. Something in the five hundred dollar range would be ideal, but I'll go a little higher if I have to.

I'm interested in maybe a .45, something handy for self-defense with good power. I dunno, though. Field's pretty wide open.
I'm in EXACTLY the same situation. I'm still doing research for my next 45 and my $$$ tolerance is a bit wider than yours, I can go all the way up to about $1100 total. Still the Magnum Research Baby Eagle .45ACP comes in right at $499 retail and you might do better than that at a gun show. I've heard a lot of good reports on them so I'm considering that.

I'm also looking at a ParaOrdnance TAC-4 LDA. The bad reports on the PO line seem to all be concerning 1911 designs with less than four inch barrels. This applies, in MY case, to all brands and makes. 1911s with a sub-4 inch barrel seems to have terrible problems with FTF's and FTE's. So I'm willing to give PO another chance with a Commander length slide. Hi-Cap is a bonus. My Colt Combat Commander has NEVER let me down. But my Colt Officer's Model was a POS.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Used Sigs?

CombatEffective said:
There are plenty of nice "used" Sigs around here in that price range.
I picked up a used Sig P245 in trade for my POS P10 "Jam-A-Matic" + (get this) $100. Best deal I EVER made and I made certain to tell the dealer the problems I was having with the P10 just so he KNEW I was trading a Lemon. The P245 has become one of my primary carry guns around town. Slides into a Blade Tec IWB and it disappears even in the hot weather of south Florida. So comfortable, I have been known to fall asleep (still wearing the gun IWB) in front of the TV after coming home from dinner with the wife.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Glock 36? Not for me....

QKShooter said:
Nobody Said The Stubby Little Mini Glock 36 ?
Big Hole ~ Little Gun ~ Super Reliable
I loved my Glock M30 and my Glock M21 in 45 but they were too blocky in my hands. Felt like a 2x4. The Glock 36 also has ergonomic problems for me. My feeling is that for a six round magazine, I'd rather stay with my Sig P245 that feels like Excalibur must have felt to the boy King.

My Glock M27 is currently my primary carry gun and I especially like it when matched with the hi-cap M22 mags and those nifty little plastic spacers that make the grips seamless. So I carry the std 9rd mag in the gun for concealability and two M22 mags as backup. That, right there gives me 40rds ready to launch. It's not a 45, but it's almost as good.

A TAC-4 (with 2 sp mags) would give me 40 rounds but at a bit more extra weight. However, the various holsters I have to accomodate a M1911 would tend to mitigate or offset this. I can spread the weight over my entire body with a shoulder holster by Sam Andrews: http://www.andrewsleather.com (in cooler weather) or an IWB McDaniels II also by Sam Andrews in warmer weather or even in a belly bag for TEXAS weather.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts