Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Here is my delimma

I got a great christmas bonus and want to put 1/2 into a gun so I won't just fritter it away and wonder where it went.

My local shop has a Kimber Crimson carry in stock in both the pro and ultra size. These are beautiful firearms to my eyes. I really like the crimson trace laser grips. If I buy the Kimber it would need a new holster and new sights(TFO's I think).I also have no ammo on hand. The 45 is way more expensive to shoot than my other guns.

I already have two XD9sc's and a boatload of 9mm ammo.

I found a New XD9 Service with 4(yes 4) 16 round magazines for $429 including sales tax.

If i buy the XD I would have enough money to trick out my XDsc with tru-glo TFO's, Crimson trace laser grips and a cross breed supertuck. I could also add the crimson trace laser to my daily carry (an LCP) and still spend about two hundred less than the Kimber set up.

Just writing this down shows me that the XD is probably the smart move(kinda like deciding to marry the ugly girl who'll be a great wife) but the Kimber still appeals to my baser instincts (Hot girl, nothing but trouble, maybe unreliable, and will definatly cost more to keep running)

So what are your thoughts?:smoke23:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Just writing this down shows me that the XD is probably the smart move(kinda like deciding to marry the ugly girl who'll be a great wife) but the Kimber still appeals to my baser instincts (Hot girl, nothing but trouble, maybe unreliable, and will definatly cost more to keep running)
Ha! Reminds me of my last couple of girl friends! I really am old enough to know better, but I still go for the trouble-makers!

As for the gun, well that is usually a different story. But....

You already have decent guns at your disposal. I say go for the trouble-maker and enjoy the ride!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Every gun collection must have a 1911 in it. Check out the Springfield Loaded.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
1911's are hard to resist...

Do you have a good HD shotgun? A rifle? Plinking guns, 10-22, 22 semi-auto pistol, lever action rifle?

Adding calibers can be rough, especially comparing price and availability of 9mm to .45 acp. Adding .22 lr-not so rough.

If you do want to go with .45acp, why not stick with XD if that is what works for you, I would probably go with GLOCK but that is my preference.

But as I said, 1911's are hard to resist...

(they do make 9mm 1911's)

Joker1

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'd put forth some effort into what you already have. Then again, are you collecting or are you buying for a specific task?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I would go for the xd.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I often find myself in this position... money in hand, do you buy stuff to put on the guns you have or buy a new gun... I always end up getting the new gun. I can find the money to add accessories here and there, but having the bucks to make a big purchase are harder to put together... I say get the Kimber and expand your collection. Everyone needs a 1911.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Logically the XD makes more sense, but that never stopped me! I was in a similar situation as I considered a Glock 30SF before I bought my Glock 23. The deal on the G23 was too enticing to pass. Plus I already had a G22, so ammo, holsters, etc. also fit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for the input, still not sure which way I will go, but I guess making the decision is half the fun. I will post pictures of the outcome, especially if it winds up being the hot Kimber.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Been there, done that..........buy the "fun" gun.
You have your "workin" guns....now get something you enjoy tinkering with and looking at. I'd buy the Kimber even though I know from experience they can be a PITA. :22a:

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I love my Glocks, but I still have two Kimbers, an Ultra and a Compact...so I say, go for the Kimber.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
While I have the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and I like I, I just don't love it like I do my Model 36 snubbie.
Have you thought of a BUG?:wink:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input, still not sure which way I will go, but I guess making the decision is half the fun. I will post pictures of the outcome, especially if it winds up being the hot Kimber.
Please be careful and don't let the choosing become addictive. Not that it has ever happened to me...:embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:! jh

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Take a walk on the wild side.:image035:

Go with the Kimber.

You know you want it...and you won't be satisfied with anything less.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts