Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...so far, my Kahr P9 is "almost" perfect. What I "want" is an 8+1 round mag capacity, commander size frame width and length, single stack sub 22 oz 9mm conceal carry pistol. Does such an animal exist? At the last Rose City gun show, the Kahr P45 (yeah, not 9mm) was almost ideal...correct frame and slide length, just a bit narrow in grip width. The "perfect" pistol, other than weight, is the Kimber Aegis II. I don't want more than 22 ounces. Perhaps it is a pipe dream but more than likely, someone here knows something I don't :)

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Why not just add the extended mag to your P9?

If that is no good, then just what are you trying to achieve? Is it the capacity or size that you are not happy with in the P9?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sixto...the extended mag does not give the same "grip" presentation as the P45...can't explain it as it is a feel thing. Don't get me wrong...me and the P9 are getting along just fine!

JD...I have tried to find a TP9 (or T9) locally...just can't locate one. Many I've seen for sale state one 7 rnd mag plus on 8 rounder?? The web page lists the TP 9 as having 2, 8 round mags...yet the photos of this pistol don't really show the grip frame difference between the P9 and the TP9. To me, it appears the TP9 has a 4" slide with a P9 frame. The probability is stacked against met that I am correct :)

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
The P9 and the TP9 use the same mags, therefore the same grip issue will be present.

If you are willing to go up a little in you weight specs, you could look at a Sig 239 a 225 or a Smith 3913.

Or you could buy a Glock and just pretend its a single stack. :wink:

·
Administrator
21,270 Posts
Not that I doubt you guys, but then why is this in the description of the Kahr 8rd 9mm mag with pinky rest?

K9 Magazine with Grip Extension, 8 Rd.
$44.00
8 rounds with grip extension, 9 mm, stainless steel. Fits all Kahr 9 mm models except TP9 & T9.
While the 8rd mag with out the pinky rest says it fits the TP9?

ETA: However the website shoes the P9 and TP9 as the same height.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As usual, I gotta put a plug in for the Kel-Tec P11. If you haven't handled one, at least give one a feel. I love the size and you can get a factory mag that gives you 12+1 capacity. Mine's 9 years old, has many rounds through it and has NEVER malfunctioned.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Not that I doubt you guys, but then why is this in the description of the Kahr 8rd 9mm mag with pinky rest?

While the 8rd mag with out the pinky rest says it fits the TP9?
:theyareontome:

Huh. Look outside, swine is filling the air and hell is getting cold.

I might have been mistaken...:embarassed:

A PF9 doesnt really compare to the quality of your P9, but its a neat little gun that fits your requirements.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense Sixto...thanks. I've toyed with the idea of the Sig 239...outstanding ergos...just a bit of an anchor for what you get! I borrowed a friends HK P7M8 for a couple days of carry...absolutely fantastic pistol...but again...very heavy. One of the tables at the last gun show had a used 3913...very proud of their price...and it didn't offer anything (IMO) over the steel framed kahr k9. I'll admit it up front...I am EXTREMELY particular and get ribbed quite a bit for acting like a broker on the NY stock exchange when it comes to buying/selling pistols. Half the fun I guess :)

I am trying to like Blocks...just shot a G19 again last week. I wear large sized gloves but the Glock feels like a thick brick. I've investigated grip mods for these pistols but I don't like them enough to go down that road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff...didn't like the feel of the P11 but did like the PF9. Trigger pulls felt long enough for one to brew a pot of coffee before the hammer fell :) Like I said, I am extremely particular and will more than likely have to like and live with what I think I have found to be the best compromise....the P9.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jeff...didn't like the feel of the P11 but did like the PF9. Trigger pulls felt long enough for one to brew a pot of coffee before the hammer fell :) Like I said, I am extremely particular and will more than likely have to like and live with what I think I have found to be the best compromise....the P9.
Understood. Even for me, the P11 was an acquired taste. After much, much range time and a few hours tinkering and smoothin' her up, it's kind of like one of those old-time arranged marriages. I've "grown to love her".:embarassed:

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
While it is not a single stack, it looks thin, have you given the Ruger SR9 a look??

Z

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SZ...the SR9 has a lot going for it. Size and weight would prevent me from EDC but as a range/house pistol, it could shine. The trigger is absolutely horrendous though...one of the worst I have ever tried...kinda like dragging an anchor through a pile of rocks :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
M&P9C ?

I was seriously looking at the Kahr p-9

But found I could get a similar gun, with more capacity, 12+
for less $$$

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had an M&P 45...excellent pistol...too big and bulky and I've found I simply do not like compact anything...even the Kahr PM9. Of the Glocks I've shot (17, 19 and 26), I actually shot the 26 the best and preferred the ergos of the 19 the most...which ain't saying much :)

One of these days I will own another 45...and it will be a bobbed aluminum frame 1911...simply perfect in every way (I'm willing to tote the extra weight in a larger bore). A colleague of mine has a CDP II in that configuration...bliss.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
...so far, my Kahr P9 is "almost" perfect. What I "want" is an 8+1 round mag capacity, commander size frame width and length, single stack sub 22 oz 9mm conceal carry pistol. Does such an animal exist? At the last Rose City gun show, the Kahr P45 (yeah, not 9mm) was almost ideal...correct frame and slide length, just a bit narrow in grip width. The "perfect" pistol, other than weight, is the Kimber Aegis II. I don't want more than 22 ounces. Perhaps it is a pipe dream but more than likely, someone here knows something I don't :)
It's already been said, but the Kahr P9 with an extended mag or the 20 oz. TP9 with it's longer grip and 8+1 mag fits the bill. Perhaps the narrow grip feel can be solved simply with a Hogue Handall that helps fill the out the grip with it's palm swell. I really like the feel of the Handall on my TP9 and CW9. Makes the Kahr grip "just right" IMHO.

Pachmayr also makes a good sleeve but it doesn't have the palm swell that the Hogue has. Either one have finger grooves that help improve the grip.

I really do not notice any difference in concealability between the CW or the TP, even though the TP9 has a longer grip and a 4" barrel.

Here's the TP9 sporting a Hogue.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You might check out the Walther P99/P99c (or even the PPS) if you haven't already

1 - 20 of 34 Posts