Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposing I have enough money to do only one of the following, which would you recommend?

1. Buy a Rossi 92, lever action, stainless steel, .357 mag (with a plan to get a .357 revolver later so I have a rifle/revolver combo)

I would use this for deer hunting

2. Buy a Ruger SR22 and some ammo

I would use this for cheaper training

3. Buy a Rossi .410 single shot, Marlin .22lr bolt a action, and plenty of ammo for both

I would use this for plinking/small game hunting

·
Registered
37,051 Posts
Which do you want most? Get it.

Reactions: Badey

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you don't have a .22 pistol yet, I highly recommend the SR22. My brother got it as his first pistol and he really likes it. I've shot a good few mags through it and it makes some tight groups too. All in all it's a pretty sweet .22.

I think everyone ought to have a 22LR pistol and/or rifle. I love my Ruger Mark III 22/45 target pistol and the 10/22 rifle especially.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
If you don't have a .22 pistol yet, I highly recommend the SR22. My brother got it as his first pistol and he really likes it. I've shot a good few mags through it and it makes some tight groups too. All in all it's a pretty sweet .22.

I think everyone ought to have a 22LR pistol and/or rifle. I love my Ruger Mark III 22/45 target pistol and the 10/22 rifle especially.
This.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
2. Buy a Ruger SR22 and some ammo

I would use this for cheaper training
Good luck with that. IF you were able to find 22 ammo, you'd likely pay more for it than you would 40 cal.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Choice 3 I am not feeling. If you dont have a deer rifle, then choice 1. If you do have a deer rifle, then choice 3

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with the old vet. I'd get the one that I want the most. I've made sacrifices and choices to save a few dollars here and there and in every instance I've wished I would have gotten what I really wanted.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Supposing I have enough money to do only one of the following, which would you recommend?...

...I would use this for deer hunting
...I would use this for cheaper training
...I would use this for plinking/small game hunting
Depends on whether you most want to:
1. Go deer hunting,
2. Go cheap training, or
3. Go plinking/small game hunting. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Badey and Alex_C

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Sorry, it is you that has to decide which to choose...... What I like might not be right for you....... Go with your "gut feeling"..........

·
Registered
413 Posts
My brother bought a 357 lever action last year and loves it.
Been finding 22 ammo around for about twice what it was this time last year. Even at these prices its sill the best bang for the buck.

I would buy the 22 and have fun till I needed something else later this year when prices will likely be lower and more choices might be available. Barring some sort of unforseen issue: I would not expect that prices will be higher than they are now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Indeed as crazy as ammo prices have become 22LR is still the cheapest by far. It is hard to find, along with 9mm, but it's not too pricey in comparison. You're looking at about $0.18 to $0.30 a round for it, compared to double or triple that for other calibers in some cases.

I also say in a SHTF situation you'd have a good gun that takes common ammo that you can easily carry a lot of.

I know you didn't mention it OP, but do look into the Ruger 10/22 for a nice 22 rifle. It's great out of the box and there's countless things you can do to it with all the aftermarket parts. You can easily make it a big scary gun if you wanted to. :brutal7:

As much as I love shooting my Beretta, I've been shooting my 22 target pistol and rifle as of late. I'd go broke trying to shoot 9mm every weekend!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Ruger SR22 for "cheaper training" than what? If you have a AR already, maybe a conversion kit for .22?

Or for option 3, try a 410/22 over/under to save some money.

Just my thoughts, not trying to make it more complicated.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Based on your multiple desires, you just need to pick the most-important tack to take.

Seems to me that the .357mag lever+revolver combination makes the most sense, as it'll cover light hunting and self-defense very nicely. There are some nice classic .357's in both lever-action and revolver, out there. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
#3 is what i'd go with. #2 just doesn't seem like the better of the 3 deals. and #1, as a personal preference I am only a fan of marlin and Winchester lever guns, maybe henry.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Right now I am leaning toward the .357 lever action, but am taking a few more days to stew over the decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts