Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was watching this review by James Yeager on the Cabot 1911 guns, and he was talking about there flawless performance, but in the videos he showed of him shooting the guns, it appears that both guns had multiple instances of the slide failing to lock back on the last round, requiring him to chamber a round with the magazine change.

I politely inquired about this asking if this was a magazine issue.
Another guy answered the question by stating it was his grip causing it.
( this response seems to have been deleted)

JY replied before deleting the guys response to my question “ I use proper grip”.

So, I once again inquired about what was causing this, but no response.

Would you guys please watch the video about these super expensive guns, and verify for me that I’m not seeing or misinterpreting what I’m seeing here?

My questions and his response to the guy that suggested he used an improper grip can be seen in the comments. ( he deleted the statement from the guy so it’s not there but his response is)

Help me out here, and tell me if I’m seeing things.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sir, I watched the same video and noticed the same exact thing. The video was shot from the right side so no angle of his support hand. A good and high support hand grip (righties) can induce this often. No way to know without further “testing.” I will say that I’ve seen many of his videos and this is not a common issue for him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I never watch James Yeager and I would never take training from him. He may be a great shooter, but I think he is an irritating blowhard. I hate listening to him. There are better people making videos. Someone who can't admit their own mistakes is no one you want to learn from.

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
G-man, just for you I watched Yeager, or at least most of it. He did Cabot firearms no favors. I wouldn't expect him to admit to doing anything wrong to cause a lock-back issue (or anything else). I don't see anything blatantly wrong with his grip from either side, but that second series of shots sure were consistent with slide issues.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never watch James Yeager and I would never take training from him. He may be a great shooter, but I think he is an irritating blowhard. I hate listening to him. There are better people making videos.
I was more interested in hearing about the guns he was talking about, just to see what the difference in a high $ Cabot could be over other custom guns, not particularly because of JY himself.

Having said that, I have nothing against him. He makes some good points and some not so good points, which is a universal thing among those who express their opinions.

So I’m not knocking him here personally, but more interested in the performance of the guns in review.

Reactions: Pete63 and scottync

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
Sir, I watched the same video and noticed the same exact thing. The video was shot from the right side so no angle of his support hand. A good and high support hand grip (righties) can induce this often. No way to know without further “testing.” I will say that I’ve seen many of his videos and this is not a common issue for him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It shows from both sides, just not the best angles.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, He is doing what Jerry Michulec calls "noodling" His barrel is flopping all over under recoil. That malfunction on a 1911 can only be caused by a magazine, a slide stop out of spec or the shooter.
You have seen me shoot in my videos, and my grip is pretty relaxed which is probably more relaxed than his, and my Colts and Springfields all lock back reliably on the last round.
I just thought it was strange to give a gun such a positive review that is obviously not functioning 100% that is so much more expensive than even a Brown or Wilson.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
Perhaps his grip? His thumb is riding the slide near the slide stop. Below is a screen grab when he's finished a mag with the second gun. I wonder if he's using enough force with his thumb to retard the slide stop so that the slide moves forward.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My first comment is that there are many firearms writers and other so-called experts who regularly churn out very positive articles about products made by their financial sponsors. Kind of an incestuous relationship, in my opinion; how can you trust a review that someone is being compensated to produce?

Second comment, although I don't see it in this video, is that the most sure fire method of inducing a failure (to extract, to feed, or to lock open on the last shot) would be "limp wristing" the pistol. There must be firm resistance to recoil in order for the pistol to function properly.

Other than limp-wristing, the most likely causes are magazines (follower lip not properly engaging the slide stop), or some problem with the slide stop itself (obstruction, improper dimensions).

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Perhaps his grip? His thumb is riding the slide near the slide stop. Below is a screen grab when he's finished a mag with the second gun. I wonder if he's using enough force with his thumb to retard the slide stop so that the slide moves forward.

View attachment 339419
No, but enough downward pressure on the slide stop.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
You have seen me shoot in my videos, and my grip is pretty relaxed which is probably more relaxed than his, and my Colts and Springfields all lock back reliably on the last round.
I just thought it was strange to give a gun such a positive review that is obviously not functioning 100% that is so much more expensive than even a Brown or Wilson.

What do you think?
After seeing the pictures I believe it was him not the gun. He was probably told thusly and his fans will give him a pass.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Reading through the comments, a lot of people have asked this, and his reply with “because I have a proper grip” each time leads me to believe he thinks having a proper grip is the reason for this issue.

I know this is about Cabot and not JY, but I think if I wanted some good info about the gun I’d call the manufacturer or look for another review and see what they say. Unless discussing hide and seek I don’t think JY provides much value.

Reactions: Pete63 and G-man*

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After seeing the pictures I believe it was him not the gun. He was probably told thusly and his fans will give him a pass.
I agree. It’s hard to believe this wasn’t noted and corrected at Gunsite...

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I know that in general Yeager doesn’t think much of modern built 1911s. And having trained under him , can tell you that the picture of his grip ain’t what they teach day in and day out.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know that in general Yeager doesn’t think much of modern built 1911s. And having trained under him , can tell you that the picture of his grip ain’t what they teach day in and day out.
That begs the question of why?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts