Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for my 20th birthday I bought myself a Norinco SKS and a Mossberg 500 (my first guns), for my 21st bday I bought my Bushmaster M4A2, 22nd birthday was Ruger P94. Last year I turned 24 and bought my Springfield XD9. I'm hopeing to continue this tradition this year when I turn 25 at the end of January.

I've bought all the guns I own without anyone's input so this time I've decided to see what other people think. Here are my requirements:

* I plan on having roughly $600 available for this purchase, and I am not opposed to buying a lightly used weapon if need be.
* I'm debating between another 9mm or a .45 so recommendations for guns in either caliber are welcome.
* I know the benifits of possibly buying a XD9sc since my FS mags would fit. Its in the back of my head already, but I think I'd like to expand my arsonal before duplicating guns.
* I shot my first 1911 for the first time and I loved it, SA trigger is so much nicer than that on my XD... Springfield GI micro compact or Springfield MilSpec are both high on my interest list.
* I want to be able to CC.

So what do you guys think? What would be a nice 2nd handgun? (i've sold p94 so my XD is currently only handgun)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add I'm open to either 3" or 4" barrels, I CC the service model XD (4") now with no problem. I like the idea of a little smaller of a gun, however I'm kind of hesitant to give up the accuracy and round count of a larger gun.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You can't go wrong with Springfield, and the micro compact is nice. Good luck on your choice!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the chances of me finding a USED H&K USP Compact for around 600?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that link.

1911 micro compact, USPc, Walther PPS, I've got quite the variety of possibilities

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I'd say a Sig P220, for a .45acp, you may find a used one in your price range.
For other calibers, look at the P229, P226 or maybe even the P250 depending on what you want.

Nothing beats a SIG!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also considering going w/ a Trigger job + Crimson trace grip for XD, or CT grips + ammo, or night sights or some other type of improvements to my XD.

Although I always love getting a new Gun, part of me says I should invest money into improving what I depend on to protect my life every day.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Although I always love getting a new Gun, part of me says I should invest money into improving what I depend on to protect my life every day.
Listen to that part of yourself...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a Glovk 30 in 45ACP that I just got and love. I have other Glocks but this 45 makes me smile. I also have other 45's; 1911 variants that are great but like the Glock for some reason. Good luck and Happy B-Day!

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
my option would be get a .357, maybe a Ruger GP100 or 101, will have plenty of $$$ left over for ammo and towards training

how much .223 or 7.62 do you have to feed your rifles? might need to look at getting your stockpile expanded instead of buying another firearm

·
Registered
829 Posts
Based on your inventory, I would add another pistol. I am good with getting trigger jobs, polishing feed ramp, new springs and things to make the gun run better and shoot better but I am not convinced on laser sights for my EDC's. I would look into a good pocket / ankle gun for BUG. Snubbie or LCP type. I would go with 600 bucks for a S&W snub. If you went with a pocket 380 you'd have some left over for accesories. I'd save for the 1911 you'll really want, Springfield TRP, Kimber SIS, that would be a good get me through my 30th b-day!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I say take a good class, and spend the rest on ammo. As cmb said, wait and get the 1911 frame you really want.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
THANKS! For my 60...uh...50th birthday present, you can buy me a big shiny brand-new 1911 Colt .45...or a similar Kimber will do. I don't have to have it until May 12, 2110, my best ever and newest friend.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Glock. You might also consider something like a Ruger 22/45. It will pay for itself over time in ammo savings.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Look for a good used 5 in. Kimber. A good price would be around $750.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts