Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother's murder was on this site, I stumbled upon this site when i was having a difficult time understanding how my brother was murdered and FREDRICK ESPY III got off. He shot my brother in a fist fight. All I know is if you want to be a murderer, move to Alabama, get a concealed weapons license, cause an argument with anyone who doesn't agree with how you treat women and shoot them!!!! What the article did not mention was how my brother NEVER had a criminal record...EVER. How his fiance was pregnant with twins and lost them that same week as the shooting, How he was in college for THEOLOGY, how he was dedicated to the Big Brother Program and how someone had to tell his "little" which was the 8 year old boy his "big brother was shot. How we came nothing, where we were assumed not to succeed. But my little brother did!!!! There is a scholarship in my brother's name for social work. Admittedly, we have worked very hard not to be a statistic but this murder has made my brother exactly that. We had no money at the time for an attorney but he and his family knew a lot of people in that court process. I've almost lost my mother and myself to suicide over this. FREDRICK ESPY killed my brother and his unborn children with one bullet. My life, my families life, since that day has NEVER felt like LIFE. Please, anyone who can help me understand how this was possible, how can someone can kill someone with a gun in a fist fight against someone who had no weapon. And why did he try to run after shooting my brother if it was self defense? I have ANGER inside me that i never knew I could possess, maybe i need to go to Alabama and invite that murderer there. We could get into a fist fight and he could put me out of this 12 year misery and hell he has put me through. Thomas Joseph Burton was my little brother and i raised him to become a wonderful man, there was NO SITTING OR STANDING ROOM AT HIS FUNERAL, over 10 busses of students came from Alabama to DC for his funeral. A world renounced pastor cancelled a meeting with Nelson Mandela to be able to speak at my brother's funeral. We have never been rich with money only rich with love. I don't know what will come of this, i just pray it will help me understand. Thanks for reading. G. Burtron.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Looks like the police didn't read the suspect his miranda rights early enough into the interrogation which allowed the defense counsel to suppress the incriminating evidence. Very hard break to accept...but it happens to a lot of people. I can only imagine how painful this must be for you and your family. My best recommendation is to pray to God for your inner peace and see a professional grief counselor and try to heal. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I hope you have seen professional help over this. If not, please do. I can't imagine what your going through and what you have been through. Prayers with you and your family.

Reactions: BkCo1

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
Espy Case

In August 2007, Little ruled for the defendant.

"The court has reviewed the video of the defendant's interrogation concerning his involvement in this case," Little wrote in his order. "Based upon the defendant's unambiguous request to have an attorney present during question, the statements made by the defendant are suppressed and shall not be admissible if offered by the state in support of the charge.'

The state appealed Little's ruling to the Alabama Court of Criminal appeals. The appeal was rejected by the appeals court as having been filed after the time limit had expired.

Espy, who was out of jail on a $30,000 bond, is a student at Tuskegee University and is scheduled to graduate in a few months, Tuten said.

The prosecution can again charge Espy with murder in Burton's death at a later date, if there is new evidence.
He got off on a technical matter.

I am very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I tried for 10 years with professional help...doesn't help. I hold on to the promise that I will be with him in heaven. It is beyond

"hard" to get over this. I've giving up on having children of my own over this. But, i do appreciate the advise. God bless you and your family, and thank you very much for your service.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Espy Case

He got off on a technical matter.

I am very sorry for your loss.
Why are WE still allowing this type of thing to occur? The laws ( for Murder) should be amended that if there is clear evidence that they cannot get off like this no matter how money they have the fancy liars, I mean lawyer, same thing...

Sorry for your loss and that you and your family have fallen victim to our broken society and corrupt legal system. Unless you are rich the only thing you have left is to find peace....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but not sure that you will find any answers here.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Heavenly Father, send your grace & mercy to A. Sent your Holy Spirit to comfort him & his family when NOTHING here on earth can help. We're glad you're in charge ('cuz you're better at it than we are), especially when we don't/can't understand it. Fill his heart with the confident assurance that we (all of us!) rest in your loving, all-powerful hands. We are NOT merely human beings trying to have a spiritual experience. We are, in truth, spiritual beings, just temporarily having...a human experience. In Jesus' name. Amen. :yup:

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I really don't know any words that will ease your pain.

Years ago my sister-in-law (my wife's sister) & brother-in-law were killed by a drunken driver who left the scene. This was about 1:00 AM. They caught him late that same morning but by then they couldn't prove DUI even though investigators followed his activities from bar to bar starting early in the morning . He was a felon with a Federal explosives conviction. His sentence was 4 years probation & time served while awaiting trial. Victim's Assistance told us we should be at the trial so we packed up Mom-in-law, other sister & her husband. We got there plenty early but it was already adjourned because he pleaded guilty. We shared the same elevator with him on the way out. It seems even back then that courts were way too easy on those who commit heinous crimes. It's burned in my memory because I had to ID the bodies. My wife stayed home with our kids, thankfully. She was a basket case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so sorry for your family's loss. I was not told when the trial for my brother's murderer was because of their fear of me trying to get him. I will keep you and your wife in my prayers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed. It's hard to find peace when Fredrick Espy posts pictures of his newborn son and a smile on his face. Thank you for your words .

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
So much in this world is beyond our understanding. You have my sympathy and prayers for healing and understanding. Small comfort though they are.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I have no answer for why bad things happen to good people. I can only offer the few things I have learned over 35 years as a Pastor, 10 years as a Police Chaplain, and 3 years as a Hospice Chaplain.

First and foremost. Hatred is a cancer, not an answer. It destroys all those around you, everything you hold dear, and finally eats you alive from the inside out. It offers no balm or healing for what aches so deeply in your heart. The counter to hatred in our hearts is real forgiveness. Not forgetfulness, but laying the right or wrong of things into God's mighty hands and walking away in your mind - never to look back. If we cast our cares upon Him, He will bring peace to our souls. I must confess that real forgiveness will be the most difficult task of your life. Forgiving is not human, it is God territory.

If you haven't one, I recommend finding a good church, filled with God's people to whom you may pour your heart out and who will pray with and for you through the struggle. I will add my prayers to those already offered here and ask for God to fill your heart with His endless love and bring His peace, even in the midst of the storm.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Though it's a travesty of justice, you really need to let go of this. To post you are fighting urges to commit suicide on an open forum demonstrates you have a lot of psychological issues that should be addressed professionally. Certainly after 12 years have passed since this happened, this should have been put behind you long ago..

To allow this to affect your life in this way for this long really is something that you need to address with professionals in their field.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I am so sorry for your family's loss. I was not told when the trial for my brother's murderer was because of their fear of me trying to get him. I will keep you and your wife in my prayers.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Why are WE still allowing this type of thing to occur? The laws ( for Murder) should be amended that if there is clear evidence that they cannot get off like this no matter how money they have the fancy liars, I mean lawyer, same thing...
5th Amendment to the Constitution. People, even those guilty, have a right protecting them against government coerced self-incrimination. The government messed up, big time, by not stopping questioning the defendant as soon as he stated he wanted a lawyer present. This is not a problem with the Bill of Rights, it's an example of incompetence of the investigators.

OP, it's indeed a tragedy your family has had to endure. But please, seek help. One life has already been taken by a few angry moments. Letting this destroy your life and your family's lives only compounds the terrible loss. You need to choose life and healing. You owe it to your family to recover and live life to its fullest, because sadly your brother cannot. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts