Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has already taken a CCW class. Last Christmas I bought her a Shield 9mm anticipating that she would be getting her CCW. She hasn't gotten it yet.

She saw on facebook that a local gun dealer was having "ladies night" to learn about different pistols and different carry methods. I wasn't allowed to go even though I said I was self-identifying as a woman that night. :haha:

She came back with a lot of information and is excited about starting her carry journey. One thing she learned at the class was that she would be happier with 380. She never really liked the Shield. So looks like we will be going gun shopping and trading off the S&W.

I am asking for any recommendations from people who carry that sized gun. She showed me some of the 380s she looked at, Ruger, Sig, S&W Bodyguard, Tarus, etc. Any methods of carrying for a woman that anyone finds successful would be appreciated as well.

Ironically, I have been looking for a pocket gun myself, so this will be a chance for me to learn too. I love the little Sig "nightmare" 380 that looks like a miniature 1911 and I believe Colt has a mini 1911 as well. Of course these are a little more pricey.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My stepmother is recoil-sensitive, in addition to having arthritis in her hands. After a bit of trial and error, she ended up with an LC380 (the LC9 in .380). As a family, if there is something we want and Ruger makes it, we will generally buy Ruger.

Recoil is non-existent and its fairly accurate. My only complaint is that they haven't come out with an LC380s. Even though the DAO trigger pull is smooth, it is LONG.

I'm not going to recommend the LCP because it is tiny and it is snappy. She doesn't like shooting it. My stepsister doesn't like shooting it. I don't like shooting it, but I can shoot it and do on the rare occasion carry it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
G42 or LCP II for a true pocket gun.
My wife carries a G43 in a well armed woman kydex IWB holster with a Util clip.
(She won't wear a belt.)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can't say enough good things about my G42. Honestly, I'm not a Glock fanboy, but that little pistol is awesome. I got the magguts too and that gives me an extra round per mag.

Another gun I am theoretically in love with is the Browning 1911-380. I don't have one. 1911, style, but it's got a longer sight radius and I hear it's really soft shooting. I would buck for my wife to get one of those were she ok with the platform. If less long was the call, the 42. I would never say the lcp.

Either are great guns I figure!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
she needs to pick her own gun, and preferably something more substantial than a .380 (sorry, but not one of my favorite rounds)
it needs to be asked, why a .380, what is the reasoning behind that?
size?, recoil? concealability?, did she shoot a particular gun in that caliber that she liked?
it would be interesting to know what ultimately led to that decision?
what is about the Shield she didn't like?
...........so many questions............ :icon_neutral:

Reactions: rmak

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
I've had a bunch of .380's over the years. For a true 'pocket' .380, nothing comes close to the Kahr CW380. For a "full size" .380, the Sig P232 is the Gold Standard, though I don't think they're still in production.

·
Registered
926 Posts
she needs to pick her own gun, and preferably something more substantial than a .380 (sorry, but not one of my favorite rounds)
it needs to be asked, why a .380, what is the reasoning behind that?

size?, recoil? concealability?, did she shoot a particular gun in that caliber that she liked?
WHY..?? why does it need to be asked..?? He stated that she came back excited, etc and one of the things she figured out was that she would be happier with a .380. Isn't that enough..?? I mean do we really need to get off on the .380 vs 9mm tangent.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
It sounds like she's interested due to the small size of LCP's and such? If so, I think a good first step would be to rent one or two tiny 380's and try shooting them. Thing is, they're generally not fun to shoot, and difficult to shoot well. Before making the trade she should ensure that she won't absolutely hate the thing.

That said, she doesn't necessarily have to LOVE shooting it either, just that she doesn't hate it so much that she never practices. If the tiny size makes it more workable for her wardrobe and fashion choices, and she ends up carrying it all the time, it's worth its weight in gold (not that that's much weight...).

For actual shooting, the best I've tried are the Browning BDA's my parents love. Those are all-steel double-stacks that are probably much harder to conceal than a Shield. Tied for second would be a Bersa and a Sig P238. The latter is a fantastic combination of concealability and shootability, but some folks just aren't comfortable with a cocked-and-locked single action. My Taurus TCP is a pretty good shooter, with a decent trigger and good ergonomics, but some apparently have bad luck with them.
Dead last would be the original LCP I tried once, due to ergos, trigger and lack of a slide hold-open, but the more recent models seem to be improved.

If the tiny size of the 380's is appealing, but she doesn't like the recoil, there are a few good options in .32 to look at as well. I'd prefer to carry 380 myself, but let's face it, neither cartridge is a powerhouse.

Reactions: OldChap and rmak

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
WHY..?? why does it need to be asked..?? He stated that she came back excited, etc and one of the things she figured out was that she would be happier with a .380. Isn't that enough..?? I mean do we really need to get off on the .380 vs 9mm tangent.
curious, that's all
sometimes people get excited about things without considering alternatives
some people choose a gun because it was made in a color they like (that's OK with me too, if that's what floats their boat)
just wondering why, and if other considerations have been considered, which is very important in choosing a gun for defense
not intended to be a caliber war
ease up, this is an internet forum
Keep Calm, and Carry On.............

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Back when I got "excited" about handgunning, everyone told me to get a 9 as well. There are a ton of very valid reasons that that's true, but the only thing anyone should have noted was that it took the excitement out of it for me. The 9 was just that little bit louder and forceful enough to make it no fun to plink for me - at that time.

My first gun was a .380 and I'm glad. A SIG P232 (after two Bersa's that blew up on me - true story). It was a work of art and I coveted it for years. Ultimately, I got more comfortable with recoil and report, and moved "up." I love my 9's, but i still enjoy my .380's more. That little bit less recoil makes it way more fun for me when plinking. I guess that's why .22's are so much fun.

But not all .380 are equal. And the reason I love my G42 and the Browning 1911-380 so well is because neither of those guns are blow backs. My Sig was. But she was heavy too, so that negated quite a bit oh recoil. All said and done though, I am quite positive that my G42 has less Perceived recoil than that old Sig. I can dump out a mag, on target, out of that 42 like nothing else! I can only imagine the Browning would be just as fast.

Either way, I agree she needs to pick the pistol, but if she likes .380 because of recoil, note, not all .380's are the same. Blowbacks bite - hence I say stay clear of the LCP when the 42 is only marginally bigger.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she needs to pick her own gun
I think that's what she did. She did pick the gun she wants. She wants to have a small manageable concealable pistol. She wants a 380. Her Shield 9 is a bear to rack. The spring is so strong that it's difficult for me too. Much more difficult than my Shield 45. We tried everything, racking hundreds of times while watching TV, leaving the pistol locked open to weaken the spring. I even called S&W asking for a slightly weaker spring. I've heard the critical defense 380 is a pretty effective round. Have you heard differently?

·
Registered
400 Posts
If she's not interested in one of the small poly's like the Taurus TCP or Ruger LCP, I'll also suggest a Bersa Thunder 380. It's a fun little gun to shoot. More medium sized than compact though. They do make a Bersa Thunder 380 CC which is slightly smaller and more rounded as its made for Concealed Carry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You sound like a person who's had experience interacting with the female of the species.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Heve you ever seen a dad by his kid a 410 shotgun to save his kid recoil problems. Only to find out that the very gun you are buying for less recoil kicks like a mule. His kid would have been much better off with a solid 20 ga than the 410 mule kicker. Some of the little .380's are a Beeeeeeesaaaaatch to shoot. My daughter loved my little LCP with the laser at home but when we went to shoot it, she didn't want nothing to do with it but she loves shooting the Shield 9mm that she thought was ugly at home. That's why you ask because you're trying to help.

Reactions: kukla and rmak
1 - 20 of 46 Posts