Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received two brand new holsters, one from UBG and the other from C5 Leather. Both were very well made and gave me an idea (first mistake).
I have an older holster that's very servicable but badly in need of a dye job. After some research, I purchased some Deglaser, Lincoln shoe dye and Eco-Flo sealer. I stripped off the remainder of the old finish with the Deglaser, applied two coats of the dye (as per the instructions) then applied the sealent. I waited 24 hours and then using a shoe brush, buffed the holster. It looked really nice, but when I buffed it with a soft cloth, the dye kept coming off onto the cloth. After handling the holster, I had traces of the dye all over my hands. Anyone, especially you holster makes, have any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Generally you dye and let dry. Then buff the leather and put on the acrylic top coat on the areas you dyed.

Gloves and buffing are in order. Once dried then top coat. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Generally you dye and let dry. Then buff the leather and put on the acrylic top coat on the areas you dyed.

Gloves and buffing are in order. Once dried then top coat. Hope that helps.
What he said.

Also, if the holster has absorbed a lot of gun oil over the years and the leather has become well oiled it may not take the new dye very well. You may have been better off just using some Kiwi shoe polish.

I always liked the look of worn leather, it's sorta like a badge of honor.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Just a thought.... I've never personally refinished a holster, but I'll bet saddle soap would help to remove old oil and other residues. It's made for stripping old polish from shoes and boots so it would probably work well on a holster.

Plus, it's nice and cheap.

·
Registered
544 Posts
How much dye did you use? MNBurl was on the money; dye the holster and let it dry, then buff it until there is no more dye transfer. Then seal it wit a good acrylic and let it air dry.

If you are just trying to touch up an older holster, try applying some Kiwi neutral polish, Propert's Leather Balm or Melatonian Boot Cream and buffing it out with an old T-shirt, but use it sparingly.

You don't want to use saddle soap on a boned holster; too much will soften the holster enough to kill its retention.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I bought my dye from a shoemaker shop for about $5.00 a nice size bottle with the cotton applicator in it, & I re dyed my new Galco Summer compfort holster's straps, black to blend in when carring with my black belt, so it does not scream Gun,I applied only one coat of the shoe dye & let it dry overnight, & the next day , I could of handled it & it was compleatly dry none of the dye, came off on my hands or anything the dye was terriffic, after it dryed I applied a Nutural shoe wax all over the holster & buffed it dry, a great dye job I even suprised myself, so find a shoemaker & get their dye that they are using in their shop, you will like the outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts