Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my p238 the other day and was taking some time reading through the manual. I field stripped it per the instruction manual. I then attempted to reassemble it and ran into a problem.

I slide the slide back onto the frame and depress the ejector to clear the slide. I then continue to move the slide until the slide stop is able to fall into the slide disassembly notch. I then let the slide go per the manual.

The slide does not return all the way. It stops with approximately 0.5 inch remaining of the recoil spring guide still sticking out of the slide.

I have searched and am unable to figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.

Thanks in advance, i'm taking this as a learning experience as this gun is new to me. I was really hoping to get it to the range tomorrow too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after fooling around with it and looking at what was occuring I figured it out. The slide stop needs to slide in and stop the barrel from coming back with the slide. Then it functions (at least without firing) while cycling live rounds without a problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes... it is the second trick to re-assembly, no big deal.

First trick of course is to depress the ejector to allow the slide back.

Second trick is to not let the barrel move back with the slide. One way to do this is to point the barrel down while moving the slide back for reassembly. Let gravity hold the barrel in place. If the barrel moves back with the slide then the breakdown pin won't find it's place the barrel lug... it will insert way in front of the barrel lug... and the barrel can't return forward.

You get used to this after awhile. Put a little grease on those rails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts