Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month there is a gun show in my area, and I want to get a .45 for CCW. With a budget of $300.00-400.00 my initial choices are a
Taurus PT745 or Bersa Thunder 45. I would appreciate any suggestions and comments if you have experience with these two models. Also if there are any other .45's that fit the CCW criteria and are in my price range, please let me know. So far these are the only ones I've found.

Thanks and happy packing!
PAPACHUCK

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Does it have to be new? Because for that money you could probably get a good deal on a used Glock M30.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ExSoldier said:
Does it have to be new? Because for that money you could probably get a good deal on a used Glock M30.

Welcome to the forum!
Great idea! I currently have a G22 and absolutly love it. :hand10:
I do have some reservations about the G30 though, as I believe I've seen some posts about the reliability of it, or am I confusing it with something else(G36?)?

Thanks for the reply.
PAPACHUCK

·
Registered
813 Posts
Personal preferance...I would stay far away from Taurus semi-autos.

·
Registered
110 Posts
RIA or Norinco 1911s are great values, my RIA is a great shooter and has never given me a reason not to trust it, $330 with 2 mags shipped and transferred.

You can also pick up a used Sig P220 from CDNN Investments in that price range.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
My advice would be to save up more money and buy a higher quality firearm if you're looking for something new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good suggestion, save some money and get a better quality .45 for CCW (if you want a new one). Options may be the new Kahr PM45, Springfield XD, Para Ordnance are great ( I have their CCWX745S).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
PAPACHUCK said:
I do have some reservations about the G30 though, as I believe I've seen some posts about the reliability of it, or am I confusing it with something else(G36?)?

Thanks for the reply.
PAPACHUCK
The G36 is the one with some questions about reliability. I have never heard any complaints about the G30 as far as reliability. Or anything else for that mater.

The G36 being the one and only single stack Glock had some design changes that may have led to some reliability problems. Even those seem pretty rare, but it seems to have had the most problems of any Glock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
WJP9 said:
Personal preference...I would stay far away from Taurus semi-autos.
Why is that? I currently have the Taurus PT745 and I haven't had any problems with it other than it shooting a little bit low. But I don't know if this is a problem with all of the PT745 models or just mine. I am no gun expert by any means at all. I am far from it honestly. I like the size of it and the fact that it is a .45

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
PAPACHUCK said:

Thanks for the reply.
PAPACHUCK
Well before I got my H&K USP 45 (present from the wife for taking a more dangerous but more lucrative teaching assignment deeper in the inner city) I'd have said that if I could only have ONE handgun and take it to a war....it'd be a Glock M30 w/tritium sights. Possibly the worst thing I have ever done in my entire life when it comes to selling a gun was to sell that baby. One of the best was to pick the H&K for a dedicated home defense gun. She just got me a SureFire X200 gunlight to hang underneath, so it's off my hip as a CCW gun.

Anyway, if you can pick up a Glock M30 you can't go any better for the money. Best, it will take the M21 hi-cap 13rd mags without trouble. Get one of the plastic "spacers" to provide a seamless grip.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Love my Model 30. No malfunctions, accurate, controllable, just ugly; but then, so am I, so we sorta fit...

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I really like my Kahr P45, but it will cost you more than $400 new.

If you can find one, I wholly recommend Beretta's outstanding Cougar or MiniCougar 8045F. If you want it in DAO, then get a 8045D. Awesome guns.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
PAPACHUCK
I have a question for you. What do you feel your lacking in your Glock 22 that you will make up for with a 45? Now I don't want this to turn into a 40 vs 45 war but just curious why he wants to leave the 40 for a 45. I swap back and forth between the 40 and 45 GAP and feel very comfortable with either.
Mike

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I'm not really a big Taurus fan, mainly from an innovative point of view. I'd look for a used Glock G30, Ruger P345, an EAA Witness compact or maybe one of the CZ pistols. The Bersa line has gotten rave reviews too so I'd have to see how it fit my grip and idea of concealability.
Jack

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't own one,but got a buddy with a G36. In fact he brought it yesterday to our little "match".He showed it to me cuz he got a new set of AmeriGlo,ghost ring,night sights for it. He told me a couple of months ago that he's got 3000rds. thru it without a burp. NOTE: Like me,he ALWAYS does a F&B on his weapons and puts a little bit'o lube in just the right places.

The guys that own the guns that "just don't seem to shoot" should try this before going crazy and sending the weapon back to the factory IMO. --------

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've heard good things about the RIA ,45 from both my gunsmith and someone I know who has one.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Let me chime in on .45's for CCW
When I do carry .45 it's my PT-145.
Maybe I'm lucky,but I've never had any
trouble with it.
But when I carry a full size, it will be a Sig. P220.
Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I would stay away from taurus semis too. had my PT 140 Kb on me and saw a 945 that wouldn't cyycle properly. personally , I feel my life is worth the extra $3-500 for my current CCW gun.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Initially Taurus developed a reputation for poor quality firearms. In recent years they have proven to be making an excellent product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, and have in the past.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts