Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. Here is my problem. Several years ago, I traded a little airweight for a S&W 66-5 and the nice little 3" round but has sat in my gun box. I think i've only shot it a couple time and carried it even less.

Now someone informs me that this is a rare pistol and is worth some bucks. Me I dont know enough about gun values to know, and I dont have a gun dealer that I trust in my area.

Can anyone tell me if in fact this weapon is infact a rare(ish) weapon and a ball park area.

I attached a pic (and yes it needs to be cleaned real good).

Thanks guys. (BTW it is a very nice concealed weapon)

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
1998 (or later) would be about the year if a dash 5 - but I was not aware of any special value to these.

Our resident gurus Class3 and rfurtkamp may hopefully narrow this down for you.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
While that is a particularly nice specimen of a Model 66, I don't recall anything special about the 66-5 other than I think it was the first to have the MIM parts and internal firing pin. Edit: or the second. I suck at remembering this.

The 66-5 does have some nice features though: I believe it has the built up more durable lockwork, slightly improved sights, and just has a slightly better fit and finish that some earlier models, and I believe it is a prelock specimen. I would guess it was made in 2002 at the latest, likely 2000 or 2001.

A fine gun to be sure and quite desirable for a CCW gun in its size with its list of features, but especially valuable? No reason comes to mind. The good news is you have a nice gun I'm jealous of, and I am not a Smith and Wesson collector or expert and I could easily be wrong. The bad news is nothing springs to my mind that would make it particularly valuable.

But then again I don't know everything... your best bet is to get the serial number and some more pics and have Smith and Wesson tell you the history of the gun. There are all sorts of oddities out there that are worth a fortune and I'm just an armchair revolver fan. One of our resident experts on handgun values may come on here later and tell me I'm full of beans, and for your sake I hope I am. That would be cool if it was worth $$$$.

A 66-1 or 66 would be worth some money because they are P&R, I can tell you that much.

Edit: Wait a second, it is a 3" bbl round butt... that could increase its value some I would think, but not terribly high dollar.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any suggestions on who and how at S&W to contact? Thanks.
(BTW I'm really confused now and I aint a blonde no more) LOL.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Roy Jinks does the Smith wesson stuff not sure if he's still at smith or retired yet ...

Cost ya 30 Spot for a letter from him though ..

or try Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 2nd Edition

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
There is a number but no can find.

I daresay Bob (Class3NH) can help with this one. He may also save you having to do that as he may know more about the value status.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I did the S&W forum and someone said it was worth over 2000 thats what got me peaked. I think I'll send Bob a IM and see what he things before I drop the $30 for the letter. Again thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I just traded my 66-5 today in roughly 98% condition for $350 toward an SA Mil-Spec. I bought my 66 new around '98 or so and yes, the -5 is prelock. The only reason for rarity is that the K-frames are, sadly, no longer produced.

Here's a good thread over on the 1911forum that covers the different configurations with dates and changes:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=118680

#15 06-30-2005, 11:48 AM
rwmagnus

Model 66 dash info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

66 1970 Introduced at serial K949100
1974 Introduced 2.5” with round butt

66-1 1977 Change of gas ring from yoke to cylinder
1978 Introduce 6” barrel
66-2 1982 Eliminate cylinder counterbore & pinned bbl
slight change in cylinder length to 1.62”
1985 Special production of 3” bbl for Ashland Arms;
5000 manufactured, ALU serial prefix

66-3 1986 New yoke retention system/radus stud package
1988 Special 3” full-lug version, with full length extractor rod
1994 Uncle Mike’s grips on 2.5”

66-4 1994 Change rear sight, drill & tap, Hogue grips,
change extractor.
1995-6 Delete square butt configuration; begin shipment in foam
filled blue boxes
1997 Change thumb piece; ship with Master trigger locks;
change to MIM trigger

66-5 1998 Change in frame design, eliminate cylinder stop stud;
eliminate serrated tangs; change to MIM hammer with
floating pin; change internal lock

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again thanks guys. The "story" I was told is that a distributor has the exclusive rights to the 3" version of this weapon and stopped ordering them after a couple hundred were made. Dont have a clue, but I only paid 200 for the airweight. I sent a email to Bob and unless he says it's worth a chuck, its going back into the safe and I'll stick to the law of never sell a gun.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sorry Fed, didn't catch that yours has a 3" barrel. Could be that it's rare, I'm not sure how Distributor runs affect value. If it makes you rich just remember all us little people.
Jack

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jack - if this does, thru being 3" turn out to be a money pot - I am sure the ''proceeds'' would rapidly go towards fed's next purchase (or three) on ''the list" :18:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Looks like a horton build to me , and if so it is bewtwen 5,000 and 25,000 of em out there , not particularly rare tho he did get a lot of desirable smiths built that you would not see otherwise

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It dosent say Horton on it anywhere. Just S&W 66-5 CDC5818 and on the swingarm of the cylinder it has 749 on it. Thats its folks except for the standard smith stampings.

Thanks for checking guys and yes if its worth something more that the basic, I've got my eyes on this new Para Black Watch Companion or a Kahr Covert.

Steve

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Bud White said:
Roy Jinks does the Smith wesson stuff not sure if he's still at smith or retired yet ...

Cost ya 30 Spot for a letter from him though ..

or try Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 2nd Edition
You may also check the BLUE BOOK of guns...........I think it's a VERY limited run.....Horton special........
if it were an unfluted cylinder... it would have been a prototype
I'll check the books Thursday night ......and let you know..

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for checking. I dont have a blue book and appriciate the fine assistance you all are giving me. Now all I have to do is grow up from my "Junior Member" status, LOL.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I promiss if it turns out to be worth bucks, I'll make sure you know and show pics of the ones that replace it.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Sorry to chime in late here. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica and Hahas, page #184, shows a special run of M66-5 revolvers with 3 inch full underlug barrel and red ramp front sight, product code #102712, for RSR Wholesale (not Lew Horton) in 1999.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts