Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the Apex trigger mod, which calls for the replacement of the striker block, beneath the rear sight.

The damn sight will NOT BUDGE!!! I've tried everything, including freezing the slide!

On top of everything, now the sight has some scratches. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh! :aargh4: (Any way to make THAT look better?)

Anybody have some tricks, short of taking the damn thing to a gunsmith?

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! :aargh4:

photo.JPG

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I moved mine using a mallet and a brass or plastic punch. Put it into a vise or hold it down tight and hit the punch hard to break the seal. You can try heating it up but I have used the old punch and hammer method for 40 years with great success. My mallet also has a plastic side so I can hit the sight directly with the hammer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used penetrating oil on my Shield

It will take a strong whack

A black sharpie will fix any scratches

·
Registered
632 Posts
"Kroil" will get er done. Kroil it up liberally, wait about 30 min and come back, wrap the slide in a towel, put it in a vice and get at it with a brass punch "1/4" or so and knock it out.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I was going to mention getting a hammer or WD 40 but it seems that has been suggested.

A gunsmith would be the next route if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
You may consider swapping the sights while you're at it. The factory sights on the Shield are nothing exceptional anyway. That should take care of some of those scratches. 2 cents

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
IF it wont move,, Use a Bigger hammer,,,J/K ; )
H/D

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
38,968 Posts
Should have bought a gun that doesn't need a better trigger...

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Put it in a vice, tighten it down, and knock the hell out of it with a 20 pound sledge.
Hit until its fixed.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Is that an Allen set screw clamping the sight in place?

Also if red loctite was possibly used, try heating it with a heat gun.

Try both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Is that an Allen set screw clamping the sight in place?

Also if red loctite was possibly used, try heating it with a heat gun.

Try both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I may be foolish, but it looks like that Allen screw has not been loosened.

If you can: Heat the slide and freeze the old sight.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Loosen the allen screw and be prepared to capture the spring when the sight comes off if you plan on reusing the sight. I took mine off to replace it. It took many good whacks to motivate it that the garbage can would be a more comfortable place :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. I may be foolish, but it looks like that Allen screw has not been loosened.

If you can: Heat the slide and freeze the old sight.
Of course the Allen Screw was removed.

Took it to a gunsmith who said I'd need a sledge hammer to remove the Shield's sight, and even then, there was no guarantee considering the tonnage of pressure used to install it.

He also said replacing the Striker Block wouldn't add much to the trigger mod anyway.

Finally shot it today ~ HUGE difference! Love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts