Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been burning up Google and reading back through old posts here and still a little lost for a good edc knife. I'm leaning toward a folding knife for my pocket with a pocket clip because my belt space is pretty full now. I'd like to have a one handed operating knife if possible. I've been looking a lot at OTF automatic knives but I'm not sure if they are legit or more novelty items. I'd like to spend no more than $100 if possible but if need be I'll spend more. My main concern is not price it's more a secondary concern, main things I want are one handed operation so I don't have to re-grip or use both hands if in a serious situation and I want something with a pocket clip installed on it. Oh and this knife will be edc however it will be for defensive situations only! I carry a leatherman everyday for general use stuff.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
There's several good threads on this very subject here on DC. I personally prefer small pocket-carry fixed blades for defensive EDC. If you're determined to carry a folder, I'd pass on the automatic OTF. Have a look at the Spyderco Wave in Delica or Endura size. It'll be well-below your budget and faster into the fight than any automatic. :yup:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Many states have laws related to automatic opening pocket knives. Websites like knifeup.com can help you determine your local laws, but as an example: Oklahoma (until very recently) had laws forbidding any knife that could open at the press of a button or by the force of gravity alone. I can't remember what the new laws state, but under the old laws "assisted open" was fine, where you push the knife open a certain amount with a thumb stud or hole on the back of the blade and a spring takes over, but any knife that sprung open by pressing a button was verbotten to carry. There will be plenty of suggestions for great knives, but my main point is to be careful when looking at "automatic" knives and check your local laws.

I'm currently carrying a Benchmade 15060 that my wife got me and I love it. It's a little outside your listed price range though.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's several good threads on this very subject here on DC. I personally prefer small pocket-carry fixed blades for defensive EDC. If you're determined to carry a folder, I'd pass on the automatic OTF. Have a look at the Spyderco Wave in Delica or Endura size. It'll be well-below your budget and faster into the fight than any automatic. :yup:
Im very open to fixed blade if I could find one that has a pocket clip on it versus just having to drop it in my pocket and then have to fish for it when needed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many states have laws related to automatic opening pocket knives. Websites like knifeup.com can help you determine your local laws, but as an example: Oklahoma (until very recently) had laws forbidding any knife that could open at the press of a button or by the force of gravity alone. I can't remember what the new laws state, but under the old laws "assisted open" was fine, where you push the knife open a certain amount with a thumb stud or hole on the back of the blade and a spring takes over, but any knife that sprung open by pressing a button was verbotten to carry. There will be plenty of suggestions for great knives, but my main point is to be careful when looking at "automatic" knives and check your local laws.

I'm currently carrying a Benchmade 15060 that my wife got me and I love it. It's a little outside your listed price range though.
I live in Kentucky so no worries about knife laws here we can carry whatever, especially if we have ccdw

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
OTF knives can be very legitimate, but I don't know of any goods out there that are $100. If there is, I am certain we will hear about them shortly. A Griptilian would meet the application you described. I prefer the hole in the blade over the stud. SMKW.com has a decent selection.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I live in Kentucky so no worries about knife laws here we can carry whatever, especially if we have ccdw
I live in Ky as well, and I carry a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Can be had from Amazon for about $120, and you get S30V steel. Comes razor sharp out of the box, and has excellent edge retention. It's not a flipper or assisted open, but is very easily and quickly deployed one handed. Has an excellent clip on it, and is also 4 way adjustable for left or right handed, tip up or down. It's slightly above your price range, but it's worth every penny. Fantastic EDC knife. I own probably 10-15 folding knives, and the PM2 that is always clipped to my pocket when I leave the house. I can't carry my gun to work because I work in a government building, so this thing is constantly with me. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've been burning up Google and reading back through old posts here and still a little lost for a good edc knife. I'm leaning toward a folding knife for my pocket with a pocket clip because my belt space is pretty full now. I'd like to have a one handed operating knife if possible. I've been looking a lot at OTF automatic knives but I'm not sure if they are legit or more novelty items. I'd like to spend no more than $100 if possible but if need be I'll spend more. My main concern is not price it's more a secondary concern, main things I want are one handed operation so I don't have to re-grip or use both hands if in a serious situation and I want something with a pocket clip installed on it. Oh and this knife will be edc however it will be for defensive situations only! I carry a leatherman everyday for general use stuff.
Check out the Kershaw Blur. It's a great knife for EDC. You can get one with S30V Steel for less than 70 bucks at buds guns. You can get one for less than 60 bucks without the S30v. I have yet to find an assisted knife that is any better than the Kershaw.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price is like a secondary issue to me. Would I like to stay below $100 because I invest so much in guns, holsters, ammo, edc flashlight, etc etc..... yes, but will I let price stop me from getting a really really good knife that is leaps and bounds better than everything below $100..... no

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Well let's see, I have the Spyderco tenacious, Benchmade Griptilion 551-1, 1 Griptilion minis (one black one regular), Benchmade mini auto Presidio, 1 M16-14ZLEK CRKT, ZT 0450, sigh, and a bunch of others. I kind of got hooked on knives a bit ago.

The Spyderco knives with a snipped off zip tie through the eye deploy as fast as any auto. You tube it, several demonstrations. Personally my favorite carry knives are 1, The 551-1 griptilion ( a bit over your budget although the standard Grip fits it) 2, the Zero Tolerance 0450. It's carbon fiber and very light weight so easy on the pocket. Next would be the mini grips for the same reason. Small and easy to fit in pocket or on it. All have clips. I find that with some practice I am able to deploy the Grips almost as fast as the Spyderco zip tie. Those would be my favorite 3 carry knives. Grips fit in your budget.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well let's see, I have the Spyderco tenacious, Benchmade Griptilion 551-1, 1 Griptilion minis (one black one regular), Benchmade mini auto Presidio, 1 M16-14ZLEK CRKT, ZT 0450, sigh, and a bunch of others. I kind of got hooked on knives a bit ago.

The Spyderco knives with a snipped off zip tie through the eye deploy as fast as any auto. You tube it, several demonstrations. Personally my favorite carry knives are 1, The 551-1 griptilion ( a bit over your budget although the standard Grip fits it) 2, the Zero Tolerance 0450. It's carbon fiber and very light weight so easy on the pocket. Next would be the mini grips for the same reason. Small and easy to fit in pocket or on it. All have clips. I find that with some practice I am able to deploy the Grips almost as fast as the Spyderco zip tie. Those would be my favorite 3 carry knives. Grips fit in your budget.
I see some spyderco knives that the blade is actually made with that "Emerson" quick open on them. Ever tried any of those?

Like this one for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Endura-Plain-Folding-Knife/dp/B00190VMFM

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My only worry with this opening method is that you might go through a lot of pants pockets. But I have not tried it so I'm speaking from first impressions.
I've never seen one, held one, or tried one. That's just the types of knives where everyone got the idea for the zip tie trick

1 - 20 of 60 Posts