Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a s&w 45 acp mountain gun, i can shoot 45 auto rim ( which i reload) and also 45 acp ( with a moon clip). which i also reload.

here's my problem, one, does anyone know a manufacturer for speed loaders for 45 auto rim.

and bigger problem, when i fire the 45acp with a moon clip, (whole or half) the the dang things won't come out without a fight. i mean tear skin off your palm tight.

so is it a break in promblem or a gunsmith problem

thanx

ludlow

howdy from texas

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
ludlow - welcome to you at CC :smile:

I have and shoot a 625 also and would NOT expect this sorta problem as you describe. In fact I am hard pressed right now to imagine what the heck is wrong! I expect my clip of empties to just come straight out with a shove on ejector - no hassle expected.

Thus far - no useful thoughts I fear.... tho wonder how easily the fresh rounds go in at first? Wonder if star is out of register with chambers at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everything slips in fine, i've not tried a different ammo, this is with wolf ammo, tomorrow i'm going to run some pro loads thru it.

i noticed on the cylinder and slide web page that chamfering and polishing is often needed, i'm probably going to send bact to s&w and let them figure it out.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Wolf should work - even if it does stink!! LOl.

Yeah try some WWB or similar to see how that shapes up.
my s&w mountain says it's a model 629, hks says 625, dumb question will it still work?
Not quite with you there! A 629 is 44 mag - the 625 is 45 chambered. Where are the markings to which you refer?

Cylinder chamfering is almost always useful - but should not be needed as a matter of course. IMO.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Am I missing something here? :confused: ludlow is shooting .45 ACP ammo in a .44 Magnum? If so, no wonder he has problems extracting the moon clips. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Indeed - that would be ''problematic'' LOL! For a start - .452 bullets down a .429 tube! Hmmm - clarification certainly needed here!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've got the box right in front of me and it must be a mistake on the s&w box, it's says model 629 on the box, and then says mountain gun, 45acp right after it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Wierd box!!!! :eek:

Here are my 629 and 625 offerings .... it is my 629 that is designated ''Mountain Gun''.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good gun bad box, opened the cylinder and viola, 625-6

left side of barrel says, 45 acp, right side mountain gun

stainless, 4" barrel, adj site, hogue grip came standard, although now it's a pair of spegel grips. in a kramer holster.

it's def going back to s&w to be corrected, ( the gun not the box, although both are going back) it'll be interesting to see if the box comes back fixed too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how do you like the crimson trace? and in bright sunlight how do they hold up, the way my eyes are going every little bit helps

thanx for everyone's help on the mountain gun issue

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
ludlow;

Thanks for clearing this up. :smile:

A curse on the jackass at S&W who mis-marked the box! :frown:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
ludlow - CT grips - love 'em! In strong sun or just bright light of course - unlikely to see the dot other than real close up. However - once light level drops to like a cloudy day then it becomes useful - from that stage thru to dark I consider them invaluable. I have those on SP-101, M629 and, a M28-2 - plus on my carry SIG.

Apart from the assistance to me with tired old eyes and struggles with iron sights - the best thing for me is RAPID target aquisition and I mean ... rapid! There is no need for gun presentation to be high and aligned at all - from a fast draw and approximated ''point'' the dot is rapidly seen and so gives a much better chance (IMO) of a highly effective first shot.

Expensive additions but for me - potential life saving ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shot some factory made 45 auto rim today, no moon clip of course, the they fell out after shooting just like they were supposed to.

shot about 36 rounds, put in a clip with 45 acp,bang bang, and locked up tighter than a... well you get the point.

so tomorrow i'll ship back and play with a different gun.

oh well what problem

thanx

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hmmm ..... so, is it that cases will not extract at all, without a struggle?. Does cylinder open freely? What would happen if you used a piece of dowel to free each case a bit to ''start them off'' extracting? I am still intrigued with this one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i made sure that the moon clip is brand new, the rounds were put into the clip with a remooner. a mixture of ammo (not in each clip) wolf, winch, pro load,(my favorite factory load).

the cylinder opens and closes freely with or with out ammo, the extractor come out ok when cylinder is empy, and come out (pushes out) when the ammo is unfired.

after firing, the cylinder opens as well as always. i literally have a hole in my hand from the first time, as the extractor didn't move at all.

i had to pull out my tacticle knife to push on the extractor to eject.

i havent tried the dowel thing though.

big temptation to get my dremel and start on it, that's why i'll send it back b4 then as

i'm extremely dangerous with any kind of power tool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts