Defensive Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coworker approached me looking for a long gun. Usual worries about the state of the world. Owns a G19, one range trip in his whole life.

He originally wanted a pump shotgun, I told him most users are better off with an AR15 for general purpose defensive use, explained some of the pros/cons of both and he agreed.

Was willing to spend a little money and buy something better than a PSA, so got him set up with a 16” Aero M4E1 mid-length. Went with a PA ACSS 1-6x in an Aero mount. Going to push him towards a nice sling 2 point adjustable sling (just gave him a spare that I had laying around that I made), a Streamlight HLX, and a set of MBUS backup sights when all is said and done.

I don’t see it being shot a ton, but it’s ready for the range. Had him bring everything over, cleaned it, lubed it, showed him how it goes together, mounted the optic properly for good eye relief for him, leveled the scope, and mounted the optic with a Fat Wrench and loctite.

Going to probably put a mag or two through it this week for a basic function check, then going out to the longer range and want to see if he can walk it out from 100-600 yards.

·
Registered
51,779 Posts
Clearly what is best for most users is debatable for all eternity, but it looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly what is best for most users is debatable for all eternity, but it looks like a nice setup.
Sure, of course it is. I’m among the people that think a smaller stature person (around 5’6”) with essentially zero firearm training who honestly will not be doing much shooting and no formal training will be better off with a gun that is lighter recoiling, lighter weight, higher capacity, semi-automatic, with easier ability to mount accessories like flashlights, etc.

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
nice rifle set up.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Coworker approached me looking for a long gun. Usual worries about the state of the world. Owns a G19, one range trip in his whole life.

He originally wanted a pump shotgun, I told him most users are better off with an AR15 for general purpose defensive use, explained some of the pros/cons of both and he agreed.

Was willing to spend a little money and buy something better than a PSA, so got him set up with a 16” Aero M4E1 mid-length. Went with a PA ACSS 1-6x in an Aero mount. Going to push him towards a nice sling 2 point adjustable sling (just gave him a spare that I had laying around that I made), a Streamlight HLX, and a set of MBUS backup sights when all is said and done.

I don’t see it being shot a ton, but it’s ready for the range. Had him bring everything over, cleaned it, lubed it, showed him how it goes together, mounted the optic properly for good eye relief for him, leveled the scope, and mounted the optic with a Fat Wrench and loctite.

Going to probably put a mag or two through it this week for a basic function check, then going out to the longer range and want to see if he can walk it out from 100-600 yards.

Nice rifle. I think your choice is good. Considering he own's a good pistol already (despite his concern with extended training with it) He, after all, approached you about a "long gun". The basic debate would have ended up: recoil from buckshot*, vs. muzzle blast from first shot(s). Perhaps he'll take interest in shooting it, a little more in training, as opposed to a shotgun. 🤞AR rifle, with "zero recoil", compared to shotty, may sway him into a little extra practice.
While I do have a Winchester 1200 Defender that sleeps under my bed, it's an AR, I'd be grabbing for "a bump in the night". But, "that's me,& my choice".

*yes, there are training/ammo options

·
Premium Member
8,177 Posts
Sure, of course it is. I’m among the people that think a smaller stature person (around 5’6”) with essentially zero firearm training who honestly will not be doing much shooting and no formal training will be better off with a gun that is lighter recoiling, lighter weight, higher capacity, semi-automatic, with easier ability to mount accessories like flashlights, etc.
You have a point, to a point. Some living environments, well, 5.56 rounds would likely end with tragic consequences for the neighbors. Same could be said for 00 buckshot loads, but the shotgun is more versatile in terms of load. Honestly, if the smaller stature person has to use it won't be a problem. My petite wife shot trap for years with 12 GA and has handled a few defensive rounds. Choices, not everything is one size fits all.

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
You have a point, to a point. Some living environments, well, 5.56 rounds would likely end with tragic consequences for the neighbors. Same could be said for 00 buckshot loads, but the shotgun is more versatile in terms of load. Honestly, if the smaller stature person has to use it won't be a problem. My petite wife shot trap for years with 12 GA and has handled a few defensive rounds. Choices, not everything is one size fits all.
Black Hills 50-grain triple shock (TSX) for interior defense, would be more along the lines of what I'd tell him to run. Not M855 green tip, or other.

Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A high velocity cartridge like a M193 clocking out at over 3,000fps is going to penetrate hard barriers less than a 9mm or 00 buck.

Anyway, we got it to the range. He was able to shoot it pretty well. The scope is decent for the price, but if I could go back, I'd recommend he spends a little more money on something nicer. It's better at 6x than it is at 1x, and if I had to pick, Id rather it be the other way around. It did have a light primer strike, so need to figure that out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts