Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm looking to get myself a handgun for the primary purpose of self defense concealed carry and to also use for home defense. This will be my #1 main carry and home defense gun. What I'm looking at is a Glock 23 gen 4 and a Smith and Wesson sd40ve. Now the Glock 23 gen4 i have located is brand new in my local gun store and comes with a Glock made GTl 21 tactical light and laser already mounted to it along with 3 13 round clips for a price of $710 plus tax. The Smith is also brand new and it comes with just 2 clips and nothing more for a price of $290 plus tax. So I realize the Smith is way cheaper however I want the most reliable of the two because this will be again my self defense gun that hopefully not, but could potentially be relied upon to save mine, and or my families life. Any help, suggestions, advice, and other recommendations are welcome!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
WELCOME my Kentucky Cousin! If you're a Wildcat fan, get the GLOCK. And if you're a Cardinal fan? Get the S&W SD40ve. :biggrin2: (they're both okay, I just have personal bias :yup:)

And before somebody scalds you, those "clips" are "mags". Good Luck & enjoy your stay!

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Any of those choices should work nicely for what you have in mind. Personally, I stay away from attachments on my carry guns.

I call them clips, too, just to hear the howlers howl. It amuses me for some reason.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm NOT a Glock hater...I'd choose the Smith. Just my preference.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
One find a better gun store ..700 for a glock is robbery light or no light ...Gen 4 are max 550 maybe 600 if a color frame or RFT .. The glock lights are like 90 bucks or less I have seen them for 80 ..

Two what guns have you fired cleand or carried before ..

Me I would start with 9mm as it has less kick and can be found a little cheeper then 40

If you want 40 find a police used gun they are like 300-400 max for a Glock 40 ...

As to the two they are pretty much the same the Sigma is just a clone of the glock in many ways

I dont mind the SDVE some dont like the trigger but for a cheep gun they are good ..Just make sure it is new model with the better trigger and rail on it

Look online or else where and esp make sure you get training and fire guns first esp with pull and fire guns like the glocks ( ie no manual safty)

Reactions: LeanHard

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My EDC is a G17 IWB in the summer and OWB in the winter. If you are willing to untuck then CCW o fa FS pistol is no problem.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the fast responses guys.

-GHOST TRACKER Sorry I get flank all the time for calling them clips, old habits die hard.

-WRONG RECROOM cheapest I can find the Glock 23 around here is $540 and cheapest I can find the glock gtl 21 laser/light combo separate around here or online for that matter is $167, I have found the Glock gtl 10 which is just the light for cheap but not the light and laser combo. As far as guns I've carried, it's just one which is the Smith & Wesson 6906. Now guns I own and fire regularly I have a Smith & Wesson 22a, the Smith & Wesson 6906, Smith & Wesson 45 long colt revolver, 1917 Colt 1911, heritage rough rider 22 magnum, Tarus M44 44 magnum, and lastly a Smith & Wesson 500 magnum revolver. If I go Glock this will be my first Glock both owning and shooting.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Andy, if you're in deep West Kentucky, shop at Grand River's Gun Shop & ask for Mark, or Shooter's Supply in Paducah. If you're around Central City/Owensboro, shop at Uncle Lee's or Whittaker's. Lexington? Buds Gun Shop. The price on that GLOCK seems a little steep. :yup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've looked around, I'm in western Kentucky, and online. Just looked at Whitaker's website and they have just the gun itself minus the light/laser for $542, rural king has it for $540. Light/laser adds $167 to that if I wanted it. Not sure about uncle lee's price

·
Registered
150 Posts
Go to a shooting range that has some EDC rentals and put 100 rounds through each.
By the end of the session you should at least have a favorite.
Guns are very personal especially with how they feel in your hand.
Don't listen to what's best for others as it might not work for you. Test it yourself if possible.
If not, then my suggestion is M&P Shield / Glock 43.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Get what feels best in your hand. Price has nothing to do with it. It does no good to money on something you don't want to shoot.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna show how green I am with this question to Glock, check with a local gun store online and they have various Glock 23's listed, can someone explain these to me as in which would be best? Quite the price differences in these.

Glock UI2350203 G23 Compact Double 40 Smith & Wesson (S&W) 4" 13+1 Black
Price: $484.99

Glock PI2350203 G23 40 S&W 4" 13+1 FS Poly Grip/Frame Black
Price $484.99

Glock 23 GEN4 40 S&W (PG2350203)
Price $499.99

GLOCK UG2359203 G4 G23C 40 US 13R FS
Price $541.99

Could someone please explain these different models to me and which would be the best?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Variables can be night sights & perhaps frame colors. Could be Gen 3 (older stock?) vs. Gen 4. The "C" models (examples #3 & #5) are compensated (I pass on compensated carry or HD pistols). I don't know the code numbers by heart.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Variables can be night sights & perhaps frame colors. Could be Gen 3 (older stock?) vs. Gen 4. The "C" models (examples #3 & #5) are compensated (I pass on compensated carry or HD pistols). I don't know the code numbers by heart.
I have a compensator on my 44 mag and 500 mag, but I don't see them neccessary on a 40 cc weapon so I can cut those out which leaves me with the others to look at.

EDIT: dug a little deeper and think I have this all figured out ok,

Glock UI2350203 G23 Compact Double 40 Smith & Wesson (S&W) 4" 13+1 Black
Price: $484.99 this on I'm still a little lost on through Google it appears to be with fixed sights and I THINK is a gen 3

-Glock PI2350203 G23 40 S&W 4" 13+1 FS Poly Grip/Frame Black
Price $484.99 this one appears to be a gen 3 model which I don't believe I want

-Glock 23C GEN4 40 S&W (UG2359203)
Price $541.99 gen 4 with a compensator

-Glock 23 GEN4 40 S&W (PG2350203)
Price $499.99 looks to be a gen 4 like the most common model as Google took me directly to glocks website for this one, it did not on all the others

-GLOCK UG2359203 G4 G23C 40 US 13R FS
Price $541.99 gen 4 with a compensator

I'm guessing I'd want the 4th one down here on the above list and $499 is also the cheapest I've found it so far.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would prefer the Glock myself and wouldn't pay a dime for a laser.

I decent weapon mounted light is a good option to have and can be found for around $100 for a quality option.

Do not pay over $550 for a Gen4 glock in 9/40. Anything past that is well over price.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I would suggest that you may want to look at the Glock 27 or M&P 40 Compact both are the easier to conceal version of the guns you mentioned. They will both take the higher capacity mags of the ones you mentioned if so desired and would be fine for HD as well. Just my .02 worth.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
If you want a Smith - go with the M&P not the SV - unless money is a major limiting factor. The original SV is a dog - I have no experience with the 'improved" iteration.

GLOCK is hard to knock from a functional stand point. - durable, reliable, rare parts breakage, easy to find a plethora of accessories. I am already in to GLOCK (or maybe GLOCK is in to me) due to it being a duty gun and academy gun. But if I were buying another plastic striker fired gun for personal use it would be the M&P PRO. Best shooting one of the bunch - to me anyway.

If you reload and like .40, OK. Otherwise 9 mm is more affordable and more controllable. .40 is snappy. I personally have 9's, skip .40, and move to .45 ACP.

The best thing going for lasers is they increase the dealers profit margin. Other than a teaching tool to confirm to students that the misses are due to shooter errors and not the gun, lasers are way overrated and sometimes even counter-productive.

·
Registered
41,589 Posts
I call them clips, too, just to hear the howlers howl. It amuses me for some reason.
I suspected as much.

OP, a Glock will always get the job done. I have one, like it, but I realize it is not the only game in town. You need to go with what works best for you.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
865 Posts
I personally really like Glocks as I use a G17 and G30 Gen 4 for EDC. Regardless what you buy be sure to rent (maybe you already have) the guns you are interested in, maybe a couple of times to make sure you like the fit and shoot of the gun. Once you buy you can't return.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts