Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting my 8 year old granddaughter a .22 rifle for her 9th birthday. Do any of you guys own a Henry rifle, and if so, are they a good rifle? I really like the looks of the weapon, and it would stay here in the safe, but I want to make sure they worth the $420.00 price tag. I want to get her something that is nice and she can keep long after I am gone....thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As far as I know they are very good quality. Another .22 you could look at is the Ruger 10/22. Either way cant go wrong with either.

·
Registered
681 Posts
100% Quality! They are great company with even a better owner. The only one I own is a Henry 45.70. It's a great gun. I can't believe how accurate it is slinging such a big chunk of metal down range! Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I picked up this Henry .22 used and added the leather to it. I like it a lot.
Henry Frontier .22.jpg

It's a full sized rifle though. I'm not good with kid's ages vs size, but if you feel it might take her a few years to grow into it, there's always the Savage Rascal. I can't believe such a cheap .22 comes with such a good trigger. They come in "girl colors", too.
4.JPG

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
100% Made In The U.S.A.

:usflag:

If....on some extremely rare Purple Moon occasion...you ever have a problem...CALL and ask to speak with Anthony.

The owner of the company will actually get on the phone and talk to you. :yup:

He is a total ZERO B.S. guy.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
For an 8 year old I would go with the Savage youth model bolt action.

Reactions: hotShot

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
Oh....to answer your specific question. YES, they are of high enough quality to be passed down as a family heirloom. :king:

BTW...Their rifles come with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee that they actually DO honor.

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
If you're OK with bolt action, the Ruger American rimfire has a lot going for it, including a compact model with adjustable stock which works well for kids.

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
Can you let us know the particular model?

I have both a Golden Boy and a H001. I prefer the H001, which is the "basic" lever action. The H001 handles easier, which may be a factor for the young lady.

At $420 I suspect you are looking at either a Golden Boy or an H001T. The main difference between the H001T and the Golden Boy is the stock angle. The Golden Boy has a steeper stock drop than the H001T. For the stock sights I prefer the H001/H001T stock drop over the Golden Boy.

If it's not going to be a surprise for the young lady you may want to have her shoulder both rifles and decide.

Now, bottom line for the Henry's - great little rifles, and excellent customer service. You can't go wrong buying a Henry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes its the golden boy, and to make a long story short, my wife and I have legal custody of our granddaughter, and she will be with us until she leaves for college. I want something that one day she can look back and tell her kids, her papaw bought if for her, and taught her to shoot....so I really want something to make her think of us, and something that will last at least until she has a family. She got dealt such a bad hand with her parents but is such a happy child, and has shown interest in my guns that I want to get her something really nice. PEF thanks for such a detailed answer, I have always owned hand guns, and shotguns, but no rifles, so really green on whats good, whats not, and so on....PEF, I am sure Henry makes kids size, and if they do, what would you recommend? Its not something she will use a lot, and I have a feeling since her dad and mom are on the vertically challenged size, she is never going to be very tall, so a children sized rifle will last her thru adulthood. Thanks again everyone!!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The Golden Boy is a great rifle. It has a smooth, solid action, and is quite accurate. It is a family investment that will last, and maintain value for as many years as you care for it. It is not a youth rifle. I would not recommend it for an 8 year old. I started my boys with a Daisy air rifle. Then got the Rossi .22/.410. It is difficult for an 8 year old to operate. I like the looks of that Savage bolt action.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
I picked up a pair of Golden Boys( a 22LR and a 17HMR ) a couple years ago from an estate sale. Great guns. You may want to check into a youth stock for it until she can handle the full size. She'd be able to teach her kids with it in the future.

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
Yes its the golden boy, and to make a long story short, my wife and I have legal custody of our granddaughter, and she will be with us until she leaves for college. I want something that one day she can look back and tell her kids, her papaw bought if for her, and taught her to shoot....so I really want something to make her think of us, and something that will last at least until she has a family. She got dealt such a bad hand with her parents but is such a happy child, and has shown interest in my guns that I want to get her something really nice. PEF thanks for such a detailed answer, I have always owned hand guns, and shotguns, but no rifles, so really green on whats good, whats not, and so on....PEF, I am sure Henry makes kids size, and if they do, what would you recommend? Its not something she will use a lot, and I have a feeling since her dad and mom are on the vertically challenged size, she is never going to be very tall, so a children sized rifle will last her thru adulthood. Thanks again everyone!!!
She's fortunate to have grandparents like you and your wife.

The H001 may be the best option. It is lighter and much easier to handle than the Golden Boy.

However, if she is going to be petite, then maybe the youth version is the best choice - https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-youth-rifle/ This has a stock that is one inch shorter (resulting in a "length of pull" of 13" instead of 14" for the regular sized H001). Also, the barrel is 2" shorter than the H001 (H001 described here https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/ )

Good luck. I'm sure either will suit her.

Edit: I see Henry makes a Golden Boy Youth version as well: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/golden-boy-youth/ If you are set on a Golden Boy, and she's petite, than I strongly recommend a youth version. A full sized Golden Boy is probably too heavy for her.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I have had my H001 for about 11 years. It has been flawless I taught most of my grandnephews how to shoot with it including one who is now in the USMC. IME, it is a much better rifle out of the box than the 10-22 which I also have. The Henry will shoot shorts, longs and long rifles which the 10-22 will not. For safety reasons and developing marksmanship I think that it is a better choice for young shooters. I lost the front sight hood for my Henry (my fault) and called Henry to see about purchasing a replacement. They sent me a new one within that week with no bill! Try doing that with a Taurus:ticking: Good luck!

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I have a Henry .22 mag rifle, and it is pure quality. Get one, and your great-great-grandkids will still enjoy it.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
A 10/22 is an excellent .22 for anyone, new to shooting or a vet. However, there is just something about a lever gun (a good one) that just feels "right". There's that sense of history, the feel of operating the lever, that sound. Henry makes good stuff, and that little girl is going to giggle with glee I'm sure.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm going to chime in one more time. Since it is a gun that you want her to remember you by and for her to keep forever, I'd go with the Henry a 100 times over the the Savage or probably any other gun. There is just something about the lever action and the Henry is the best in my opinion.

Sounds like the kid is in really good hands with some exceptional grandparents!!

Good imfomitive post PEF!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Yes its the golden boy, and to make a long story short, my wife and I have legal custody of our granddaughter, and she will be with us until she leaves for college. I want something that one day she can look back and tell her kids, her papaw bought if for her, and taught her to shoot....so I really want something to make her think of us, and something that will last at least until she has a family. She got dealt such a bad hand with her parents but is such a happy child, and has shown interest in my guns that I want to get her something really nice. PEF thanks for such a detailed answer, I have always owned hand guns, and shotguns, but no rifles, so really green on whats good, whats not, and so on....
The Henry will be well worth her handing it down to her Grandchildren. They really hold their value well. Goldens even more as they usually increase in value. A fine choice for every, all the reasons you described.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts