Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I'm a Glock guy. Still am. But I sure been having fun with this new Sig P229 .40 !! Not likely to quit carrying my ugly old Glocks, but it's sure nice to have a pretty gun sitting around too! I just picked this up Friday, it shoots straight (typical Sig accuracy), 100% reliable, great trigger in both DA and SA. I tested it with 165 HST's, 165 FMJ's, 180 FMJ's, and 175 LSWC (home cast) handloads. It ate everything with no problems. So far I'm pretty impressed.

P229 b.jpg P229.jpg

I haven't owned a full size Sig in about 20 years, but a coupla weeks ago I picked up a Sig SP2022 in 9mm because I wanted a DA/SA to carry in my motorcycle vest because I was carrying my KLCR .357 and I noticed that it got jostled around a lot in that big vest gun pocket while riding. Sometimes I would even find it in that vest gun pocket but out of the nylon pocket holster after riding a bit (the gun pocket is huge). I sometimes wanted more capacity than my 5 shooter, depending on what cities I'm passing through, and I didn't trust my Glocks flopping around in a pocket, possibly out of its holster, so DA/SA it was for me.

14089397_10201861002282106_495878741_n.jpg 14089597_10201861002162103_2094132729_n.jpg

I picked up the Sig SP2022 9mm after a bunch of internet DA/SA semi auto research. It also has classic Sig accuracy and 100% reliablility with 124+P HST's, 115 FMJ's, 115 Federal Hi-Shok, and 147 FMJFP's I was very satisfied with it and quickly decided I wanted a Sig .40. I had my sites on a 2022 .40, but my dealer had this CPO P229 .40 on hand for $550.00. If it's ever been shot or carried I sure can't tell.

Anyways, that's the story, and now I got Sig love all over the Big Steve household !!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
The P229 in .40 S&W has been one of my favorites since my first one in 1994. I have had three to date and am still slightly partial to the original configuration of rounded trigger guard and no rail. My sub-conscious muscle memory occasionally still finds my thumb wanting to sweep for a de-cocker prior to re-holstering my Glocks following firing. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get yourself a short reset trigger kit for that 229 and you may forget about the Glocks after all. That FDE 2022 looks sweet!
Been reading about those SRT's. I might have to explore that, but the stock one ain't no slouch either, and in SA it outperforms the Glocks. And that FDE 2022 not only looks sweet, but shoots sweet too. I know I played up the P229 a lot, but that 2022 is a fine gun too !! Since I grew up with DA revolvers as a young deputy, the DA triggers on these guns are fine with me too.

Reactions: Eric357 and Ianthin

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Been reading about those SRT's. I might have to explore that, but the stock one ain't no slouch either, and in SA it outperforms the Glocks. And that FDE 2022 not only looks sweet, but shoots sweet too. I know I played up the P229 a lot, but that 2022 is a fine gun too !! Since I grew up with DA revolvers as a young deputy, the DA triggers on these guns are fine with me too.
If your 229 has the reset of a Glock, it probably already has it. CPO Sigs are kind of a grab bag of options. Usually they sort them by model and caliber, and the rest of it is a surprise. I've seen guys that have gotten Scorpions at about that price through the CPO program.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last Saturday I just got the Sig Sauer P320 as my first gun. I took it to the range a few days ago and it was great! Love the feel in my hand (I have bigger hands) and the shooting was fantastic. I think I'll be a regular at the range in no time!!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, this is my first CPO. If it's a fair representative of the CPO program it won't be my last! This one is pristine, I don't know if that's the usual case or not, as this is my first CPO. This one had the E2 grips, night sights, and not one blemish on or in it !! It may be the SRT as I can't imagine any shorter reset than it has already. I'll research that though.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Go to Sig's website and register it, and you get a code for 20% off anything but AR uppers I believe.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Very nice!

I guess I should consider getting a CPO P229. I love Sigs, but have never owned any model from their classic line. I'm pretty sure I could conceal a P229, and I do love their DA/SA trigger.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Very nice 229! I ordered a p239 police trade-in .40 a few weeks ago, and I've been very pleased with it so far. I admit, I still struggle to shoot Sigs quite as well as 1911's or even Glocks. But I can't help myself - I just LOVE the way Sigs look and feel in my hand.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reliable, and ready for duty. That mostly describes my Sig. Fun would be another word-when range time is involved. It's a 9mm, and will hold up to 9 total. I can't imagine needing more than one loaded mag. I've got four OEM mags due to competition shooting, and as spares in general.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After researching further, it appears I lucked up and got a SRT trigger on the P229. My SP2022 does not have the SRT and still has a very nice trigger in both SA and DA! Either way, although I carry Glocks 23 and 27 for work, I may carry these off duty. I'll certainly carry one of the Sigs while motorcycling as the trigger system is much safer for my mode of carry while on my bike!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
How do you like that lasermax? Is it close to being on??
I've had it for about 5 years and like it a lot.
Have many times thought of putting one in the 220 but just haven't gotten around to doing it.
Yes, it is very close to being on, depending on target distance of course, but on a standard pistol range it's very close to on and I get within an inch of aim with it. There's no sighting in required, just install and shoot. Off/on switch is on the take down lever and accessed from either side. I bought it when I was doing a lot of night time traveling and as most know, the red laser works extremely well at night-not so well in daylight. Inside the home, day or night, it makes for instant target acquisition.
BTW, I've used that P220 for every one of my CHL qualifications from the first to the most recent. Even with rudimentary first gen sights, it's a tack driver. 30 yrs and no failures of any kind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am a SIG guy all the way. My most recent acquisitions: P227 SAS Gen 2 .45 ACP and M11-A1 9mm. These are the best shooters ever and the ones I carry most. Firing flawlessly without a single hiccup since day one. True SIG quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts