Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I think I'm over the SBR thing - the situation changes.

The big issue for me regarding SBRs was/is the legal hassle and to a lesser concern the lost energy. The legal hassle that bothered me the most is the requirement of prior approval from the ATF BEFORE transporting a SBR across a state line. Further, not only do you have to get prior approval, you have to give specific addresses where you and the SBR will be, i.e. destinations. Well that was a major problem. I would need to cross a state line to hunt pigs and if I did get approval, not only would it take a while, but if an opportunity came up, for a target rich environment at a location I had not specified...and on and on it goes. So that just about ruled out any practical use of an SBR for me. However....

That changed. Due to my current situation, I will not be needing to cross a state line to hunt. That eliminates the prior approval issue and only leaves the, "What about the reduced energy..." concern. So, I did some chronographing. It turns out, the SBR may not give up enough velocity to matter.

Here's a table that shows the velocities, energies, and momentums of the same load in a 16" and 11.5" barrels:

Barrel lenVelocityEnergyMomentum% diff vel% diff enrg% diff mom
VooDoo 16", 1:72680122729.488.217.18.2
VooDoo 11.5", 1:72477115327.25---

There's only an 8% difference in Velocity and momentum. However the 17% difference in energy may be troubling. Personally, I think a little too much significance is given to energy as an independent variable and too little to other parameters, like velocity and momentum. That's not at all to say that energy is not important - it is, but whether or not energy gets transferred, or if has a significant a wounding affect really depends on more than just energy. It was known from the start that the 55 gr 5.56 would be fairly dependent on velocity more so than energy.

For a difference in velocity of only 8%, I believe that is not enough to be a game changer. But all that's theory, how about some real stuff. A buddy of mine took a 10.5" SBR and Barnes 70 gr 5.56 (might have been .223) and dropped a hog(s) in one shot at over 400 yards!

A hel-hog hunt prefers the 60 gr VMAX as their hog load. And this will come at minimum as a surprise, more likely a shock, when you read that a hunter at a hog hunting ranch observed that hogs were taking 2 and 3 12 gauge slug hits and kept running where the lowly 5.56 was dropping them. When he mentioned this to the owner/operator he said he too has observed the same thing.

So my last concern about the SBR has been abated!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Tangle, one was solved by...staying in Tennessee. That's YOUR effort, not ATFE "reasonability"! :biggrin2:

And the 2nd, surprises me TOO! Have a great hunt & we expect a detailed report! :yup:

·
Super Moderator
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts