Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I would say this, but this is one "gun control" proposal I would support:

-------------------
Ken Braun: A gun control proposal that everyone should support | MLive.com

"By one estimate, cited by the Cato Institute, American citizens have their homes and private property invaded 40,000 times per year by their government’s use of para-military police raids. There are obviously cases where SWAT teams are sent after clearly dangerous and violent criminals that need to spend many years in a cage.

But these home invasions are too often used against non-violent drug offenders, sometimes in situations - such as the Torres matter - where there isn’t even a clear crime being committed. Most alarmingly, they can also happen when bad information and mistakes send cops to the wrong doors."

"During the last session of the Michigan Legislature, conservative State Rep. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, tried to change this with House Bill 4857. It would have required a twice-yearly report from every SWAT team in Michigan. They would need to list the location of each raid, the legal reason for it, the details of what happened, whether shots were fired, what was seized and who was arrested. A similar law in Maryland revealed that 4.5 homes per day were being raided.

McMillin introduced the bill following the death of a 7-year old Detroit girl who was killed during a Detroit police SWAT raid on her home. The only weapon fired was from the gun of one of the officers, who claimed (falsely) that the girl’s aunt reached for his weapon. Yet his only shot struck the little girl in the neck."

"If our current gun control debate leads to more firearm background checks on law abiding citizens, then the least our government owes us is a public background check when it points its guns at us."

---------------
I love that last line!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would support this too, but not for gun control but rather for government accountability.
If we put as much effort into government control as some do to gun control, this once great country could be Great again!

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I would support this too, but not for gun control but rather for government accountability.
If we put as much effort into government control as some do to gun control, this once great country could be Great again!
The bold is a truth that can not be said enough....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Couldn't agree more.. If the citizens are held accountable, why can't we hold our government accountable?

Reactions: SmokinFool

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Kudos to State Rep. Tom McMillin.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, that's why I put "gun control" in quotes in my original posting. :wave:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Couldn't agree more.. If the citizens are held accountable, why can't we hold our government accountable?
Our Government is supposed to always be accountable to its citizens. The Government is suppose to get its power from its citizens. We have gotten away form that. It is my deepest hope that we find our way back to this most important principal.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Our Government is supposed to always be accountable to its citizens. The Government is suppose to get its power from its citizens. We have gotten away form that. It is my deepest hope that we find our way back to this most important principal.
My hope as well. Unfortunately, it's beginning to look as if it won't happen peacefully.

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I'd support such government accountability reform as well. Top to bottom.

Guns have nothing to do with it, though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
"If our current gun control debate leads to more firearm background checks on law abiding citizens, then the least our government owes us is a public background check when it points its guns at us."

Not exactly sure what this is supposed to entail, perhaps more transparency of gov't?-Sure, I bet BO would sign right on to that idea. If the whole point of the article was to point out how many unlawful raids on private homes are conducted by the police, that doesnt inspire much confidence in where this whole scenario could be heading. As far as I'm concerned. So long as they are driving/biking/walking/segwaying etc. in the opposite direction that Im headed, I breath a little bit easier.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
In the current climate, the government will never put controls on itself. We are way past controlling our government. Think 1936 or so...

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
You don't really want an answer to that; do you?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
In the current climate, the government will never put controls on itself. We are way past controlling our government. Think 1936 or so...
It's never too late, unless and until we become full subjects. Whenever there are people who refuse to become subjects, there is always hope.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
How can help you make this happen?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
How can help you make this happen?
We can all help make this happen by being vocal to our elected officials about our opinions of where this government is taking us. If that doesn't work then we vote them out in the coming elections, and keep making sure our voices are heard. I refuse to believe that anything short of bloodshed is doomed to fail. Only when (if) we reach the point of being nothing but subjects, will it be time to fight with all we have in us. I pray to the good Lord above that that time never comes. No, I will not raise any of my firearms to another human being (except in defense of myself or loved ones) while there is still a chance to turn things around by peaceful means. So I will pursue any peaceful means at my disposal. The alternative is too painful to even imagine. It would be the darkest day in our nation's history. That is why I am so "gung ho" about keeping the political pressure on our representatives by email, writing and calling them regularly, and recommending to my friends and family to do the same.

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
Why aren't the cops shooting little 7 year old girls HELD ACCOUNTABLE???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts