Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "shorty" Shotgun. Double barrel, 12GA. The barrel is 12" long and the stock (Handgrip) is 12" long. YES I have BATFE paperwork for this item. I have a holster ala James Caan in the movie "El Dorado".

Here's the question....

If I am wearing this rig under a long coat, does my concealed license cover it?

I have a concealed "handgun" permit (Va. issue). The gun can be fired with one hand using 1" shells.

If you know for SURE, please advise.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Id hate to be in an SD shooting with it and be the man in front of the jury with the prosecutor telling everybody you went roaming around with a shotgun under your coat.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Lolololololol

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is this 1895 ??

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just from a tactical standpoint you have a twoshot weapon, so you're carring a giant Derringer, I would rethink this.
Also check your local laws, not sure in your state but in Florida Shotguns are specifically not allowed for Concealed Carry.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Having lived in Virginia all my life I have to say this is quite a question. I'm not a lawyer but personally I would doubt the VA CHP would cover it. The reason is that the handgun is normally designed to be used in one hand. The shotgun (cut down or not) is normally a two handed firearm. I wouldn't carry it concealed until I talked to a lawyer who is well versed in VA gunlaws. It is an intrigueing subject I must admit. I'd like to know a definative answer to it as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shotgun

I am not a lawyer. I carry a Tarus Judge sometimes. That is legal with a shotgun round (410). Bond makes a derringer with a shot gun round (410). You can carry with both of those. I guess anyone can make an issue about anything some one may carry. I would recommend to only carry with Buck Shot or a slug.

·
Registered
31 Posts
for your cc permit to cover it i would think that it would have to be classified as "handgun" under your states laws. i don't see how it would be any different than using a Taurus Judge with 410 shells or using shot shells in a standard hand gun. however i would not personally use any of the above because of the increased risk of harming a bystander with the bb spread, and because of the tendency of prosecutors to try and get a conviction because people use ammo that is designed to be more deadly, like hand loaded ammo. so while it would be awesome, and even if it was legal, i personally wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just from a tactical standpoint you have a twoshot weapon, so you're carring a giant Derringer, I would rethink this.
Also check your local laws, not sure in your state but in Florida Shotguns are specifically not allowed for Concealed Carry.
but from a tactical stand point ur carrying a shot gun... id think that a BG who would chance rushing a hang gun would think twice about a a 12 ga :image035:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Come on, folks....I asked in good faith.
I'm serious about this.
Seriously, would you want a DA telling the jury you were dressed up like a 'movie cowboy' just waiting for someone to shoot....

Whether it's legal or not, it would not be a smart thing to do....

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Based on VA legislation defining "handgun", I do not believe that your weapon as described would qualify. I wouldn't want to take a chance (or spend the money on a lawyer) to defend it. Carry a Taurus Judge, which does qualify as a handgun and fired 410 shotgun rounds (as well as 45 lc)

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
WOW … I am jealous now! Congrats to the Super-Shorty. Please post some pics asap. I do not have a clue if your CHP covers it or not; just a wild shoot, why do you not call the circuit court of the county or city there you live or the state police and ask about it?
Although some websites advertise the Super-Shorty like a CC firearm I should not trust that information at all; or any information from the Internet for that matter.
Did you get the Mossberg or the Remington model?

·
Registered
473 Posts
for your cc permit to cover it i would think that it would have to be classified as "handgun" under your states laws. i don't see how it would be any different than using a Taurus Judge with 410 shells or using shot shells in a standard hand gun. however i would not personally use any of the above because of the increased risk of harming a bystander with the bb spread, and because of the tendency of prosecutors to try and get a conviction because people use ammo that is designed to be more deadly, like hand loaded ammo. so while it would be awesome, and even if it was legal, i personally wouldn't do it.
The Judge is legal because it has a rifled barrel and can shoot a 45LC. To the OP, i am merely speculating but i would have to say it would be illegal to conceal carry, but legal to own and "open" carry with the proper paperwork.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Id hate to be in an SD shooting with it and be the man in front of the jury with the prosecutor telling everybody you went roaming around with a shotgun under your coat.
I should hate even more to be involved in a SD shooting when I am the one standing in the FRONT of the Super-Shorty :image035:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, thanks for all the input. I should have stated my aim (pun intended). I am going to a 2nd/10th ammendment rally on the morrow and was going to carry it to demonstrate that it is not the gun but the person that must be responsible for any wrong doing. If enough of us show up armed and it is a peaceful demonstration, that would be a good thing.
The message would certainly be lost if I was arrested for carrying same.
I called the Capital Security force and they say that anyone with a carry permit is welcome to to be on site with either open or concealed firearms.
Hence my quandry.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Please check with the issuing authority in your state or county. Here in NC the issuing authority is the county sheriff. Might be best to call on tuesday after the King holiday as gov. offices will probably be closed. Best, john

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I would consult with a lawyer well-versed in VA firearm's laws....do not trust what you read on the internet--what you are asking is an interpretation of a law...

In the meantime, I would not carry it concealed (or open, for that matter)--unless you carry your ATF paperwork with you all of the time...

·
Registered
963 Posts
That dose fit the definition of "firearm" in Washington so you could CC, but why would you want to?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
OK, thanks for all the input. I should have stated my aim (pun intended). I am going to a 2nd/10th ammendment rally on the morrow and was going to carry it to demonstrate that it is not the gun but the person that must be responsible for any wrong doing. If enough of us show up armed and it is a peaceful demonstration, that would be a good thing.
The message would certainly be lost if I was arrested for carrying same.
I called the Capital Security force and they say that anyone with a carry permit is welcome to to be on site with either open or concealed firearms.
Hence my quandry.
Please call the DA or the state police or some lawyer that know about firearm’s law before you carry the Super-Shorty; do not mess it up for yourself!
Although some of the replies to your original post do not show it, we all know that you asked in good faith.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts