Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions:

What is the relative carry size/comfort factor of a PX4 9mm as compared to the traditional 92FS 9mm?

P.S. I may soon be joining your ranks

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
PX4 is smaller

I just went to the Beretta website and looked at the specs on both guns. The traditional Beretta 92 is:

- 35.3 ounces empty
- 4.9 inch barrel
- 8.5 inch total length

The new PX4 is:

- 27.5 ounces empty
- 4.0 inch barrel
- 7.59 inch total length

So the PX4 is considerably smaller.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I've never carried a 92 concealed, but I have no problems whatsoever with my Px4.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not have or carried a 92, but the Px4 storm carries with no problem. Great pistol!

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have carried a 92 off and on (during winter mainly) for years. As a rule I have had no trouble and really like the gun. Just looked at the PX4 the other day and it feels like a great pc of hardware. CC with the 92 is good with the right clothing/holster and the PX4 looks to be even better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My son and I each bought our Px4 (9mm) in April and paid $549. In fact, just the other day, my son was talking about selling his Px4 and getting another pistol. Nothing wrong with his Px4, but he's just that type of person, that wants a different type of handgun.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
put in an order today

Just put in an order (to my FFL) for the PX4 Storm in 40 S&W. CDNN has them for $440. Download the latest PDF catalog. You'd have to add the xtra your FFL would charge to that.

It is the F model, and a manual safety will NOT do for me. I will be purchasing the conversion kit to a G model (decocker only, no safety) w/ slim profile. Looks like that will run $55.

Couldn't tell how it carries to other Beretta's. Once I get it, I will be sure to post a range report on it. I will not carry it until I convert it to the G model.

Regards,

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is both a 92FS and a PX4 in my home, the first I own, the latter my roommate owns. When it comes down to it, the size really isn't that much different in terms of vertical height. Where the PX4 looses most of it's size is in the barrel length. I'll try to snap some pictures of it this evening with my 92 when he gets home (we keep our weapons locked up or on us).

The only disadvantages I found in the PX4 so far is that it's slightly harder to field strip and reassemble due to the rotating barrel, and it's very top heavy when empty. With a mag in with 14 or so rounds, it feels more balanced.

The only difference in length is really in the barrel. OTherwise it's similar enough to not notice a difference in the other dimensions. It really comes down to personal preference, and my preference is that I'll be waiting for the PX4 Subcompact to arrive before I can justify getting one.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sojourner....agree with you 100% on the G conversion..I plan on doing the same. Where are you purchasing the kit and how difficult is the install. I am not a "manual safety" guy----for me they get in the way. My safety is my mind, my finger, and my self restraint.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
WJP9 said:
Sojourner....agree with you 100% on the G conversion..I plan on doing the same. Where are you purchasing the kit and how difficult is the install. I am not a "manual safety" guy----for me they get in the way. My safety is my mind, my finger, and my self restraint.
Well, the gun has not come in yet, but I have found a kit that is available from a member of berettaforums David Olhasso

I'll be ordering when I get back on the 5th. It is for a G conversion w/ low profile.

If you look at beretta forums, you can find a link where it is described how to convert an F (decocker-safety) to a G (decocker only) without the expense of the kit and without the low profile.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
....berettaforums = http://www.berettaforum.net/

Several newer members here such as Beretta1526, Garg, Age_Ranger, JimmyC, etc., are members there and own the Px4. One member just got a Px4 Type C...with the light DAO (kinda, sorta Glock) trigger! (srfl is extremely jealous!)

They can set you straight with any questions regarding the Px4....if they see this thread.

Dave Olhasso is now the "go to" guy for all things Beretta...replacing Ernest Langdon (former Beretta-smith and employee now working for S&W) for the "go to" title. Dave is great guy willing to help and work with you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The PX4 is similar in size to a 92 Centurion with the reduced barrel length, but is lighter and thinner in the grip. For me a full size 92 grip always seemed like it was pulling away from my body, where as the PX4 just sits there right up against you like it should be.

The PX4 is a fantastic gun. In all honesty when I found out that they did not take 92 mags I decided I just didn't need to have one. Then I shot a friends. Shortly after that I made him sell it to me because I was so deeply in love I could not wait to find one, did not want anything but that specific gun. Paid him what he had into it so he could go replace it at his leisure and have never looked back.

I also got the low profile "Stealth" kit to convert it to a G and like it very much. It is possible to convert to G without the kit, but it is more hassle and the low profile levers are slick.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Roger that on the manual safety....
I figure revos do fine w/o, and that's what I carried for long time...
To carry, one must be able to use there head...
'Course that being said, 1911 Thumb safety is 2nd nature after bit of practice....

·
Registered
160 Posts
dimmak said:
Roger that on the manual safety....
I figure revos do fine w/o, and that's what I carried for long time...
I think that's why all of my handguns except the PX4 are DAO. I've found every gun I've sold had a safety on it, the ones without seem to stick around.

When available I will likely buy a PX4-D Compact to replace my primary carry 92D Compact Type-M.

Guess old wheel gun habits die hard.:hand10:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Never carried the 92, but my PX4 carries very easily, but not any better then the similarly sized P226, USP, and GLOCKs I've carried in the past. It's a GREAT gun though that gets my enthusiastic endorsement.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
srfl said:
....berettaforums = http://www.berettaforum.net/

Several newer members here such as Beretta1526, Garg, Age_Ranger, JimmyC, etc., are members there and own the Px4. One member just got a Px4 Type C...with the light DAO (kinda, sorta Glock) trigger! (srfl is extremely jealous!)

They can set you straight with any questions regarding the Px4....if they see this thread.

Dave Olhasso is now the "go to" guy for all things Beretta...replacing Ernest Langdon (former Beretta-smith and employee now working for S&W) for the "go to" title. Dave is great guy willing to help and work with you.
Thanks for that feedback....I pick up the new PX4 this week.....:banana: ....I emailed Dave and plan on sending the slide out to get the low profile decocker and "G Thang" (decocker only) job.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Well, my PX4 in 40 came in today ($440 from CDNN - total of 2 mags and no extra backsraps). To my suprise and joy it was a G model. No manual safety. :banana: Also ordered 2 extra mags.

Called the backstrap # 888-268-3265 to get the xtra 2 backstraps. Told it was LEO gun and not eligible, but sent to cust service. Talked to cust service and they are sending me out the 2 extra backstraps gratis.

I will not be spending the extra $ to convert to stealth since I already have the G config (de-cocker only). Maybe in the future if I have problems w/ the width of the decocker I will.

Range report will come sometime next week. I'm off to the in-laws farm tonight or tomorrow early AM (NY, not gun friendly) to bale hay and some other chores (one instance of the marriage tax).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts