Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on the best mini pocket pistol for when I'm metal detecting in New Orleans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hey Dean ... Welcome from SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

Reactions: Truth1253

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wosconsin, Dean.

I carry an M&P40C whie detecting. Sometimes IWB & sometimes on my digging equipment belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome! If you want something reliable and can disappear in a pocket, you can't go wrong with a ruger lcp. It is .380 so do research on ammo that penetrate more than expand and you will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New Orleans? Hope ya got a lot of pockets or really big ones.
Lol you're not lying. Born and raised in NOLA, but moved the family 50 miles out. Sad that all the oldest neighborhoods are so dangerous. I was in a park and 4 thug looking teens asked me what I was doing in their park? I told them I worked for the State and doing research to put in a free pool. Everything was cool that time. I have been told another neighborhood park that no whites were allowed. I gladly left.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with my Ruger LCP. I carry it as a BUG to my G17 (EDC). Love: super reliable. 10 yards and closer is where my best accuracy is .

Hate: the LCP is a BEAST. to shoot at range. After shooting two magazines I'm done shooting with it .

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dean. The quest for the perfect pocket pistol is a journey I have been on for quite some time. If you ask five guys what the best pocket pistol is you will get eight different answers. I have my personal preference and other people have theirs. My answer to your question is this. Choose the pocket gun that you are willing to carry all the time and can shoot accurately. For me that’s a Kel Tec P-32. Is that a .44 magnum man stopper? No but it is something I always have with me. I carry a Glock 19 whenever circumstances allow but you can bet my P-32 never gets left at home.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you provide some specifics about yourself you might be happier with the suggestions you receive regarding pocket carry. Such as:
- Jeans, cargo pants, BDUs, Dockers, etc. (size of pocket)
- How close fitting are your clothes?
- Do you prefer semi-autos or revolvers?
- Are you willing to dress around the firearm or do you want the smallest size possible?

Pocket pistols have some inherent limitations in most instances as they are small in size and therefore limited on capacity. In addition, their small size and the laws of physics makes recoil in most of them significant.

My suggestions, based on what I have actual experience with carrying, are as follows:
Revolvers - S&W "J" frame hammerless or Ruger LCR in .38 special.
Semi-autos - sub-compact size - Glock 43 or 42, S&W Shield, and Ruger LC9s.
Semi-autos - micro/subcompact - Beretta Micro, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P32, Kel-Tec P 3AT.

Pocket holsters are very important, too, in the level of satisfaction with this carry method. I primarily use a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCP, both in horsehide holsters made by El Paso Saddlery. Occasionally I will carry the Glock 43 in a Kydex pocket holster that is thin (0.06") and shaped to contour around my thigh. I usually carry strong side if primary carry and weak side if using it for a back up.

Hope this is somewhat helpful in getting you thinking.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome to the forum. If you provide some specifics about yourself you might be happier with the suggestions you receive regarding pocket carry. Such as:
- Jeans, cargo pants, BDUs, Dockers, etc. (size of pocket)
- How close fitting are your clothes?
- Do you prefer semi-autos or revolvers?
- Are you willing to dress around the firearm or do you want the smallest size possible?

Pocket pistols have some inherent limitations in most instances as they are small in size and therefore limited on capacity. In addition, their small size and the laws of physics makes recoil in most of them significant.

My suggestions, based on what I have actual experience with carrying, are as follows:
Revolvers - S&W "J" frame hammerless or Ruger LCR in .38 special.
Semi-autos - sub-compact size - Glock 43 or 42, S&W Shield, and Ruger LC9s.
Semi-autos - micro/subcompact - Beretta Micro, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P32, Kel-Tec P 3AT.

Pocket holsters are very important, too, in the level of satisfaction with this carry method. I primarily use a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCP, both in horsehide holsters made by El Paso Saddlery. Occasionally I will carry the Glock 43 in a Kydex pocket holster that is thin (0.06") and shaped to contour around my thigh. I usually carry strong side if primary carry and weak side if using it for a back up.

Hope this is somewhat helpful in getting you thinking.
You are the man. Lol I have a XDs .45 but I'm looking for a small gun that I can put in my pocket while I metal detecting. What do you think about a Dillinger type?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts