Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Phases here. Those of you involved in the Android scene may know me from androidforums.com - I'm the Community Manager / Administrator there. Well, several places but that's by far our more successful venture.

Living in Tennessee with my wife and kids.. Teen moved in (finally!) a couple years ago and we have a toddler. Decided I wanted a handgun (again) for home defense. Took a little convincing, but I slammed my foot to the ground and by golly, she knew where her place was.

.. I'm just playing :p

But it did take a little convincing. I know for many, when you have kids in the house is when you keep guns out. For me, though, when you have kids in the house is when you need to pick one up. Hard to explain that to those who feel the opposite - it's a hot topic.

Lot of scary things out there, I'd like to be prepared if something decided to come our way. A few months ago a guy in our neighborhood went and killed all three people next door to him, a 14 year old my kid went to school with, his mom that a friend of mine had known, and his grandmother, the manager of the apartments we lived in before we bought this house. Stabbed them all to death.

Shocking to say the least.

I've owned a couple before, a Walther P99 that I loved and Taurus P911 that I hated. Took a couple safety courses, shot a decent bit I guess. I was in the Army at that time, deployed a couple times - Iraq and Afganistan - and it was way too hard on the wife. I hated day to day life in the military anyway, just wasn't for me (deployments not so bad), so I got out. I was using a M203 btw.

Ended up losing time/interest/money (or something) to shoot and sold them. Wish I hadn't sold them, at least not the Walther.

That was ten years ago.

Way way more backdrop than you probably need.. but anyway, fast forward to now. Over the last couple months we have bought a Glock 27 (.40 baby glock..), a Glock 30 (.45 ACP) and a Gen4 Glock 20 (10mm). Got a 9mm barrel for the 27, too.

Lots of size options :)

I got a Minotaur holster with Kydex bodies for each, and a leather cheapo holster that works for all. Couple safes, one biometric by the bed. Lots of rounds.

My god, we're going to go broke with this! :p

A couple weeks ago we took our carry courses and applied and got finger printed. Now we wait.

.....Anyway, been lurking so finally thought I'd join.

Cheers!
-Phases

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret :31:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Enjoy the forum.................... :wave:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Phases, welcome from Memphis. I hope you get your permit faster than mine. I submitted my paperwork on Dec 27th. Still waiting. I called last Friday and they told me to call back in a week or 10 days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch:\ Waiting is the worst of it, I'll tell ya.

I was hoping to have it before our beach trip in a couple weeks, I see now that isn't happening!

Thanks all for the welcome!

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Welcome to the forum from SW Ohio.:wave:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Welcome from Southwest Florida.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Welcome aboard from California! :wave:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Welcome from Alabama

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts