Defensive Carry banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
25,596 Posts
QK - I saw that prog' on TV - Paul Champagne is AWESOME!

Way back I used to do some forging - still have my old beat-up anvil but hey - that guy is raw talent. Staggering amount of shere effort and energy goes in to one of his creations, for that is what they are - from dirt to superb sword.

· Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Back in the days when I did do this it was mostly to do with iron work I did. I used to make gates, firegrates and similar and often used forging to create scrolls etc. Rest was welding.

Main problem I had - and which led me to do less and less anvil work was (and is) - I have very good strength but lousy stamina - it's the muscle type I have. Result was - very limited ability for lengthy sessions with hammer work. Most frustrating actually but not something I could change. Arm would just fatigue quickly to point where I had to pause - and that lets the metal cool of course!!

I will still work hot steel now and again - but small scale - oh and spring making - oh my - is that ever a frustrating deal - mainly with leaf springs. I got some very nice spring steel from Brownells a ways back - same stuff you referred to I expect - but like to cheat and cold form from music wire when I can get away with it!!

Long ago I did start a knife project working on a car leaf spring - but never finished it!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.